Windows 10: Sudden drop in Wifi internet speed while Ethernet speed is ok

Discus and support Sudden drop in Wifi internet speed while Ethernet speed is ok in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I'm experiencing a sudden drop of internet speed only through my wifi connected device. I use to have 200mbps on my wifi connected device but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bfstunoodle, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Sudden drop in Wifi internet speed while Ethernet speed is ok

Hello,

I'm experiencing a sudden drop of internet speed only through my wifi connected device. I use to have 200mbps on my wifi connected device but recently they have dropped down to 15mbps, tested in the same location where I got 200mbps before. I checked the speed on my wired connection device and they are running a steady 200mbps internet speed. I tried rebooting the router (nighthawk x10 R9000) but no use.

Any advice?

Thank you

:)

bfstunoodle, Apr 25, 2019

2. WiFi speed drops to ZERO

The WiFi speed suddenly drops to ZERO. It fluctuates between the maximum speed and zero, and then finally sticks to ZERO. I have tried almost everything like troubleshooting, Re-installing the WiFi driver, Disabling & Enabling the WiFi driver, etc. I have
    also tried to connect the same network with the Ethernet and it worked fine. Is this the software issue or some hardware issue?

RizwanMohnavi, Apr 25, 2019
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Sudden Internet Speed Drop

Hi there

Check your router (or your connection) hasn't dropped back from 5GHZ band to 2.5GHZ band -- on the 2.5GHZ band especially if there are a lot of people on the same channel your speed will drop.

If you are using LAN / direct connection check also quality of cable --degraded LAN cable can cause horrendous drop in speeds.

I've given up direct connection via LAN --am using Wifi-Internet via ethernet-->wifi bridge on an older router --still getting >250 mib/s -- however if I switched to 2.5 Ghz band this would drop to around 55 Mib/s -- BIG difference.

Note the ethernet-->wifi bridge is a great idea if you don't want LAN stuff all over the place --on 5GHZ with current ac technology max speed is 433 mib/s - so you don't lose out using this --even if you have a Gb LAN adapter connection you won't get that through the average ISP (at least not yet). You can even transfer quite large files on local LAN quite decently fast too with that typeof connection.

My connection is fibre -- all the way -- no copper / older adsl type technology anywhere - and here there isn't that much contention (around 15% of the ENTIRE population is away in France currently watching the Football !!!!!) so the difference between 2.5GHZ and 5GHZ bands is a good test as a lot of people are away not causing contention on the 2.5 GHZ band.

If you DON'T use wifi and you aren't getting the speed you are paying for - bring back the technicians to recheck your signals.

The Wifi broadband speed test works on android phone (and probably iPhones) so try that as another check too. That should confirm whether it's a Windows problem (which I doubt) or the problem lies elsewhere.

Finally check your service contract -- sometimes "Unlimited usage" doesn't quite mean that - you could be getting capped. There in tiny print (probably on page 174 of the service contract !!) might be a "fair usage" clause somewhere -- although exactly what that would mean in a Court I don't know -- would streaming or downloading and watching 3 or 4 ultra 4K HD movies which eat up several tens of GB's each be "unreasonable" !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 25, 2019
  4. Sudden drop in Wifi internet speed while Ethernet speed is ok

Slow File Transfer Speeds (WiFi)

Hi Ruz,

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked out all your suggestions, but nothing has so far improved the transfer speeds. To clarify the issue:

My requirement is to transfer files from my desktop PC to my laptop. The desktop is connected to the network with an Ethernet cable.

When connecting the SB2 to the network by Ethernet, the cable is connected to the laptop via an Ethernet > USB C connector, attaining transfer speeds of around 100 MB/sec. When connecting via WiFi, the transfer speeds drop to around 30 MB/sec, whether I
    am using the built-in WiFi adapter or the new, third party adapter.

By way of comparison, I am achieving transfer speeds of around 80 MB/sec when transferring to my 8-year old MacBook Pro via WiFi in the same environment.

According to various internet speed test utilities, I do not have any issues when uploading/downloading via Ethernet or WiFi, which give similar results.

To summarise, the only issues seems to be the file transfer speeds when using WiFi.

SkyriderUK, Apr 25, 2019
Thema:

Sudden drop in Wifi internet speed while Ethernet speed is ok

1. Sudden drop in Wifi internet speed while Ethernet speed is ok - Similar Threads - Sudden drop Wifi

2. Sudden drop in Upload Speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden drop in Upload Speed: Fresh install of Windows 10 on my computer, I checked the Download/Upload speed this morning, and I was getting pretty symmetrical speeds. about 900 Mbps down/up.But now my Upload speed has dropped dramatically, I still get 900 Mbps Download but only 70 Mbps Upload...
  3. Sudden drop in Upload Speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sudden drop in Upload Speed: Fresh install of Windows 10 on my computer, I checked the Download/Upload speed this morning, and I was getting pretty symmetrical speeds. about 900 Mbps down/up.But now my Upload speed has dropped dramatically, I still get 900 Mbps Download but only 70 Mbps Upload...
  4. Internet download speed suddenly dropped

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet download speed suddenly dropped: Hello, I recently experienced a huge drop in my internet download speed. I have an HP pavilion 15 laptop dual boot with Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.4.When I am on Ubuntu I have a download speed of roughly 200MB/s, and that's quite consistent. However, it's been a couple of weeks...
  5. Internet download speed suddenly dropped

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet download speed suddenly dropped: Hello, I recently experienced a huge drop in my internet download speed. I have an HP pavilion 15 laptop dual boot with Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.4.When I am on Ubuntu I have a download speed of roughly 200MB/s, and that's quite consistent. However, it's been a couple of weeks...
  6. Internet download speed suddenly dropped

7. Internet speed suddenly drops below 500Kbps.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet speed suddenly drops below 500Kbps.: [ATTACH] I am facing this problem on daily basis. I experience this most during youtube or watching any streaming service The internet speed will be fine when i start a video on youtube/ streaming service and the video loads till 1 minute or so and later it buffers or...
  8. Ethernet internet speed slower than Wifi

Ethernet internet speed slower than Wifi: I will try to fix my wired internet speed that is 6 times slower than my wifi speed! My internet speed is only 80 Mbps whereas * laptop windows 10 * a realtek card PCIe GbE Family Controller #8168E, Maximum speed download/upload 1000 Mbps/1000 Mbps, latest driver (10.36 -...
  9. Sudden drop in Wifi internet speed while Ethernet speed is ok

Sudden drop in Wifi internet speed while Ethernet speed is ok: Hello, I'm experiencing a sudden drop of internet speed only through my wifi connected device. I use to have 200mbps on my wifi connected device but recently they have dropped down to 15mbps, tested in the same location where I got 200mbps before. I checked the speed on my...
  10. Sudden Internet Speed Drop

Sudden Internet Speed Drop: Hello. About 3 weeks ago I noticed I was getting between 40-60mb download, when my ISP package says 200mb. I was previously getting the full 200mb and then some. Technicians from my ISP came out, ran new cabling through the house and out to the pole, then tested it at the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sudden internet speed drop in phone