Windows 10: Sudden FPS drop on games old games

Discus and support Sudden FPS drop on games old games in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Recently I have experienced drops in frame rate in games that were fine a couple of months ago. Especially on games that don't require much in the way... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JakJones_892, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Sudden FPS drop on games old games

Recently I have experienced drops in frame rate in games that were fine a couple of months ago. Especially on games that don't require much in the way of components such as Minecraft, which even drops to 1fps. My specs are a Gigabyte 2060 with 12 GB of VRAM, I have 16 GB of ram on 2 sticks and a ryzen 2600 CPU. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

:)

JakJones_892, Jun 16, 2022
  2. Dull Byte Win User

Sudden FPS drop/Stutter

Since 2 days ago, I just turned on my Computer, and it starting having issues while I was playing Witcher 3 (starts with decent fpsm and then very low fps, dropping to 35, then 20, and stopping at 12 or so, in a matter of seconds, in a matter of 1min of starting the game), also stuttering without any high demanding programs, randomly. I was playing at 45-60 fps, without any stutters or sudden fps drop. Have tried other games the issue persists. Even setup everything to low settings.
    I have ran several tests with several tools, all seems normal, no sudden memory spikes, or temperature raising out of the ordinary, nothing that would indicate such an fps drop or stuttering.

MSI Afterburner

I also did the reset option on Windows10, completly cleaned out all my personal info from the windows partition.
    So at this point, I am not sure if it is a software issue or a hardware issue.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Edit: I kept doing some tests to find out the issue. And this happened before and I was able to replicate it. Same thing happened as before, till I set it up to fullscreen, Alt+Tab from the game and then back to the game, FPS went up to 50 again, stable and good, dropped after a couple of seconds. After a bit it went to 2-5 fps, and I had to shutdown the game, because even the sound was getting messed up.

MSI Afterburner 2

In this image those ups and downs in the GPU usage are when the fps dropped really hard and the sound got messed up.

Dull Byte, Jun 16, 2022
  3. drop fps every game

Hi,

You can check Preeti Patel's answer on this
    link
    . Some users found her answer helpful. We suggest that you also try to follow the steps she provided and let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Lov Dollente, Jun 16, 2022
  4. Jose Est Win User

Sudden FPS drop on games old games

Permanent FPS drop in all games.

Hi,

Outdated drivers, CPU-intensive processes running in the background, virus and malware infection, and CPU throttling are reasons for a sudden FPS drop when playing games.

For us to properly isolate the issue and provide a suitable resolution, we would like to know the following:

• When was the last time you have installed the latest drivers on your computer as well as the latest game updates?
    • Have you checked the CPU temperature while playing games?
    • When was the last time you have cleaned your laptop?
    • When was the last time you run a full scan on your laptop to check for virus and malware?

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Jun 16, 2022
Thema:

Sudden FPS drop on games old games

1. Sudden FPS drop on games old games - Similar Threads - Sudden FPS drop

2. Sudden FPS Drops in games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden FPS Drops in games: Hello, So quite recently, I was forced naturally by windows to update to Windows 11. I was quite pessimistic, but then I read more about it and so I did not mind having it after ensuring that new update does not decrease your performance. Well, i hoped that's the thing, yet...
  3. Sudden FPS Drops in games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden FPS Drops in games: Hello, So quite recently, I was forced naturally by windows to update to Windows 11. I was quite pessimistic, but then I read more about it and so I did not mind having it after ensuring that new update does not decrease your performance. Well, i hoped that's the thing, yet...
  4. Sudden drop in fps while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden drop in fps while gaming: So I play this game called VALORANT on my HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop which is about more than a year old and for a few weeks I am experiencing sudden frame drops while playing. It runs fine for a few moments and then again I experience the frame drops. I tried turning off my...
  5. Sudden drop in fps while gaming

Sudden drop in fps while gaming: So I play this game called VALORANT on my HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop which is about more than a year old and for a few weeks I am experiencing sudden frame drops while playing. It runs fine for a few moments and then again I experience the frame drops. I tried turning off my...
  6. Sudden FPS drop on games old games

Sudden FPS drop on games old games: Recently I have experienced drops in frame rate in games that were fine a couple of months ago. Especially on games that don't require much in the way of components such as Minecraft, which even drops to 1fps. My specs are a Gigabyte 2060 with 12 GB of VRAM, I have 16 GB of...
  7. Sudden massive FPS drops during gaming

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sudden massive FPS drops during gaming: Hi everyone, I am having this massive drop in FPS from 100 fps to 50+ fps on Modern Warfare. I'm using a GTX 1070 Max Q notebook. GPU temps while gaming is approx 80-84c. During gameplay, FPS drops to 50+ all of the sudden and my GPU temp hovers around 70c. This happens...
  8. FPS drops suddenly in games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FPS drops suddenly in games: Since nearly 2 months I've been experiencing issues while gaming. While playing CSGO at 48 fpscapped there tho the framerate sometimes drops from 48 to 5-6 ingame for nearly 2 to 3 minutes thus making th game unplayable during that time. It happens every 10 to 15 minutes...
  9. Sudden FPS drops in games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden FPS drops in games: I have installed Windows 10 via bootcamp on my iMac 5K 2017. For years I played games on it on windows without any problem, and it gets 60fps in max graphics at 1440p resolution in many games, even in recent ones. Suddenly, without me doing anything wrong or different, I...
  10. Fix for FPS drops suddenly for all games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix for FPS drops suddenly for all games: I first used to play gta5 and far cry 4 perfectly and other games too, but recently FPS has dropped down to 14-20 frames. So I inquired about Hardware damages at service centers but there was no issue, the technician told me that it was due to the OS. So please help me. My...