Windows 10: Sudden Function decrease after recent update

Discus and support Sudden Function decrease after recent update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; [IMG]Hi, I am the owner of a Surface Pro 4 laptop computer and after restarting and updating my device, basic functions have ceased or take... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by lion2k6, Feb 12, 2019.

1. lion2k6 Win User

Sudden Function decrease after recent update

Sudden Function decrease after recent update [​IMG]Hi,

I am the owner of a Surface Pro 4 laptop computer and after restarting and updating my device, basic functions have ceased or take irritatingly long to process. An example would be upon startup, clicking anything on the taskbar results in 0 commands proceeding. Even clicking the windows key on the keyboard and a basic ctrl+alt+delete result in nothing. My computer keeps cutting to a black screen when I try to do the most basic thing. It wasn't like this before the update. I'm trying my best to recover my data in case it bricks itself eventually. I have no idea what is going on and would desperately like insight or help as to how I can solve this problem.

The image is the error I received after trying ctrl+alt+delete (I was trying to run a command prompt to shut my computer down since I can't even do that properly without forcing it - which I don't like doing)

Thank you,

Leah

:)

lion2k6, Feb 12, 2019

2. Recently used items does not show after a recent Windows update

Hello Timothy,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and we regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

To be able to assist you better, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

1) Did you make any recent changes to the computer?

2) Did you check if similar issues occur when logged in to the computer using a different user account?

3) Do you have any system restore point set prior to the issue?

To check if there is any Restore Point already created, follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select System.

• In the left pane, click on System Protection.

• Select the option to system restore > next. It will show all restore points already created.

4) What is the particular Windows update you are referring to?

To do so, you need to check the settings through Windows update. Follow the below steps.
    • Open the Settings Charm with the shortcut Windows Key
      Sudden Function decrease after recent update Windows_Key.png
      +
      I.
    • Click/tap Change PC settings.
    • Click on the Update and recovery and click on the View your update history.
    • You will now see a list of your installed Windows Updates. If you click on any one of the
      "Successfully installed on (date)" links

As an initial step towards troubleshooting, I suggest you to check if the 'recently used item' feature is hidden. If yes, uncheck the options. Follow the below steps.

• Right click on Taskbar and choose Properties.
    • Select the tab Start Menu.
    • Uncheck both the options for:

1) Store and display recently opened programs in the Start Menu

2) Store and display recently opened items in the Start Menu and the Task Bar
    • Also select a higher number recent items to display in Jump List

If the above does not apply, please follow the below suggested methods and check in case if it is a functionality issue in Windows.

Method 1

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

Ref: Using System File Checker
    in Windows 10

Method 2

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state or were irrecoverable, then I suggest you to try the following steps to deploy the DISM command lines:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

• In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information for us to be able to assist you further.

Sayan_Ghosh, Feb 12, 2019
  3. Billy Med Win User
    Lumia 930(Win10). Decreasing of bitrate of recorded sound.

Hi,

In order to assist you properly regarding your concern about the sudden decrease of the bit rate on your phone, we just like to confirm if you happen to remember making any changes on your phone recently, such as making a phone update?

Billy Med, Feb 12, 2019
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Sudden Function decrease after recent update :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Sudden Function decrease after recent update - Similar Threads - Sudden Function decrease

2. Battery capacity suddenly decreasing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery capacity suddenly decreasing: Please can someone help me? My hp omen 15 laptop battery capacity is running down for no reason. I do not understand why https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-capacity-suddenly-decreasing/85ae55fb-bbdc-4aa4-a5ba-3bd6135796ab
  3. Battery capacity suddenly decreasing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Battery capacity suddenly decreasing: Please can someone help me? My hp omen 15 laptop battery capacity is running down for no reason. I do not understand why https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-capacity-suddenly-decreasing/85ae55fb-bbdc-4aa4-a5ba-3bd6135796ab
  4. Battery capacity suddenly decreasing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Display driver suddenly is not compatible after the recent update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display driver suddenly is not compatible after the recent update: Hello, it seems that my display driver isn't compatible with the recent version of the windows update. It prompts an error message that is attached to this post. Thanks to whoever can help me....
  6. Display driver suddenly is not compatible after the recent update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display driver suddenly is not compatible after the recent update: Hello, it seems that my display driver isn't compatible with the recent version of the windows update. It prompts an error message that is attached to this post. Thanks to whoever can help me....
  7. Computer space suddenly decreased

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer space suddenly decreased: So i switched from a HP to a ASUS L210 Ultra-Thin laptop, then i set up my pc, getting ready to use my new PC, but when i went to check my files i saw i had only 16.9 gigs left in space, i know i'm supposed to have 64 gigs or close to 64, but i cant believe it gaveme about 17...
  8. disk size decreases in a sudden

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk size decreases in a sudden: Hello community, greetings, I have a question about my disk size which decreases in a sudden, here is the condition and chronology; Conditions: - my HDD separated into 3 parts: C system, E, F. - I noticed my C size is about 30GB left from 194Gb and has blue bar...
  9. Chrome no longer functions after recent Windows update

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome no longer functions after recent Windows update: just get Aw Snap! as soon as it starts up [img] when I attempt to learn more, I learn nothing [img] 62293
  10. Sudden Decrease in Performance?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sudden Decrease in Performance?: Ok, first off, I upgraded to the insider preview a long time ago from Win7 Ulti. I can't recall exactly when, but it was sometime between November and January. When I was still on 7, I was having some intermittent issues, and was thinking about wiping, but then I just...