Windows 10: Sudden HEVC / H265 failure with Windows 10

Discus and support Sudden HEVC / H265 failure with Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My 2016 production Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 computer suddenly stopped playing HEVC videos properly. I need this feature in my computer because of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MaxDarren, Mar 24, 2021.

1. MaxDarren Win User

Sudden HEVC / H265 failure with Windows 10

My 2016 production Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 computer suddenly stopped playing HEVC videos properly. I need this feature in my computer because of my work and entertainment purposes other that it should just work.

It presented this behavior about two weeks ago. Before that, it was working fine. I did not install anything that I know of which would interfere with this.

What happens:

• MPV player just freezes the video after some time playing, audio continues playing fine. Player is unresponsive and needs to be terminated.
    • VLC Player freezes the video after some time playing, audio continues playing fine. VLC player doesn't become unresponsive.

What I tried:

• Updating integrated graphics card driver Intel® HD Graphics 530, driver version 27.20.100.9316.
    • Updating dedicated graphics card driver NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, driver version 461.92.
    • Installed K-Lite Codec Pack.
    • Trying different players mentioned above.
    • Tried with browsers, couldn't play due to limited browser codec support this is normal.
    • Disabling hardware decoding VLC seems to bypass the problem, but an Nvidia 1060 should be able to hardware decode a h265 video as it was before.

I use HEVC videos regularly, I am certain this problem didn't exist before, and I am out of options, hoping this community could give me a direction.

Thanks for your time.

:)

MaxDarren, Mar 24, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Computer HEVC Compatibility

Hi Lukey,

HEVC (H265) compatibility has nothing to do with the specifications of your hardware - though you do have a nice system

HEVC (H265) compatibility is simply a codec that you can install to enable you to play that type of video. If your Windows 10 is up to date, then you will be able to play HEVC video with no problems . ..

DaveM121, Mar 24, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    How can I get HEVC to play on Windows 10

Hi GoPro, Windows does not support H265 (HEVC) yet, there are a few free video players available on the Web

Simply Google the free 5KPlayer or 'Free video player for HEVC' or 'Free video player for H265'

DaveM121, Mar 24, 2021
  4. jimbo45 Win User

PLEX - stop transcoding for 6CH HEVC H265 video 1080p

Hi there

Using Plex for 1080p with 6Ch and codec HEVC H265 transcoding always seems to take place and video pauses frequently even on megafast Network connection.

If I drop the audio to 2CH then it works fine seems PLEX has problem with the AUDIO rather than the video codec --strange though.

It all works at 720p whatever audio but I do prefer the full 1080p on decent TV's.

Is there any way to either "Pre-transcode in advance" or fix the audio problem -- 2Ch is OK but full 6 Ch is great for some movies.
    Using HEVC H265 saves HUGE amounts of disk space at 1080p and will be even better for 4K UHD TV too.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 24, 2021
Thema:

1. Sudden HEVC / H265 failure with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Sudden HEVC H265

2. HEVC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEVC: Is there any legal way to get the HEVC codec for free? I really need it for a video. Any help would be greatly appreciated! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hevc/a277ab92-25b7-4cd9-9b68-2892f5f0a0f0
  3. HEVC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HEVC: Is there any legal way to get the HEVC codec for free? I really need it for a video. Any help would be greatly appreciated! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hevc/a277ab92-25b7-4cd9-9b68-2892f5f0a0f0
  4. HEVC

HEVC: i bought the extension from microsoft HEVC in order to import some videos into adobe premiere elements. i can't find where the extension is now stored on my computer and once i do find it- i don't know what to do with it. I just want my videos imported. thanks...
  5. Microsoft Photos fails to load HEVC H265 input files into video editor.

Microsoft Photos fails to load HEVC H265 input files into video editor.: When attempting to import HEVC files into the video editor I recieve the error "These files have properties that could not be read so we couldent add them". I have installed the HEVC codec extension from the microsoft store but this has not resolved the issue. I have also...
  6. HEVC H265 Video Extension Scam - Doesn't work whilst free + more mainstream alternative...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    HEVC H265 Video Extension Scam - Doesn't work whilst free + more mainstream alternative...: So lets talk about the video codec itself. Video encoding is changing all the time with new codecs being developed as technology evolves, I highly doubt Microsoft develops their own video codecs, or at least not anymore. From the Wikipedia page "The HEVC format was jointly...
  7. Codec Codes for playback - H265 files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Codec Codes for playback - H265 files: I am trying to watch playback from CCTV recorded on a USB. Media Player does not support the file to open the h265 file due to codec code? How can I open these files? I have brought and downloaded a file from the Microsoft store HEVC Video Extensions and the files on the...
  8. HEVC, GOPRO & WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HEVC, GOPRO & WINDOWS 10: Hi! I want to buy the new gopro hero 7 BLACK, I wanted to know if my computer (ASPIRE E 15; E5-571G-76KH) supports the HEVC, the technical specifications are: WINDOWS 10 INTEL CORE i7-4510U 2.0GHz with Turbi Boost up to 3.1GHz NVUDIA GeForce 820M with 1 GB Dedicated...
  9. MP4/MKV H264 Video to HEVC H265 fast converter ??

MP4/MKV H264 Video to HEVC H265 fast converter ??: Hi folks I've a number of videos that I want to convert to H.265 HEVC - the converter I've got is far too slow for this to be even remotely feasible -- Source videos are H.264 MKV. Converter using is Wondershare Video converter which does the job for converting things like...
  10. PLEX - stop transcoding for 6CH HEVC H265 video 1080p

PLEX - stop transcoding for 6CH HEVC H265 video 1080p: Hi there Using Plex for 1080p with 6Ch and codec HEVC H265 transcoding always seems to take place and video pauses frequently even on megafast Network connection. If I drop the audio to 2CH then it works fine seems PLEX has problem with the AUDIO rather than the video...