Windows 10: Sudden increase in shutdown time

Discus and support Sudden increase in shutdown time in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey all!! Newbie here, first post, please bear with me *Smile I´ve got a PC with i7-3770 K, 32 GB of RAM and SSD hard disk and Windows 10 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by GuitarG, Jun 5, 2016.

1. GuitarG Win User

Sudden increase in shutdown time

Hey all!!

Newbie here, first post, please bear with me *Smile
    I´ve got a PC with i7-3770 K, 32 GB of RAM and SSD hard disk and Windows 10 Pro
    Before, when I turned off the PC, the shutdown was pretty much instantly
    Now, Windows closes down instantly, but then stays on the blue SHUTTING DOWN page with the moving circle for about 20 seconds. Pretty annoying.....
    Any idea why this might be??
    Thanks for your help!!

:)

GuitarG, Jun 5, 2016

2. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Windows 10

Hey again,

Well to be honest this is a pretty complicated question to answer since I feel like I have been getting many errors due to the same problem. The problem first appeared as a sudden laptop shutdown. The first 2 or 3 times I thought maybe it was my laptop overheating,
    but what made me realize it was a different problem was that windows would try to update every time I turn it on but fail. So I kept using my laptop thinking it would go away but the problem persisted. Sometimes it would just do the sudden shutdown, other
    times I would get the BSOD before the shutdown. Eventually though, it stopped doing the sudden shutdown and I would only get the BSOD errors at that point. To answer your question though, I got the BSOD in the past month (including the times before I reinstalled
    windows) maybe 8-10 times. However, if you count the sudden shutdowns too it would be 10-15. And this is excluding the time when driver verifier was on as you asked.

Thanks!

Mohamed Elbogdady, Jun 5, 2016
  3. Windows Update error 0x80070032 after WU KB4089848

Hello Sumit,

I tried hiding it but I'm still stuck with the same error and "Update and shutdown" button.

Since this update, my shutdown time has increased tremendously, from what used to be just a few seconds, it takes more than a few minutes to shutdown the system.

Varun Parmar, Jun 5, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello GuitarG,

There are two types of shutdown in Windows 10 - a hybrid shutdown and a full shutdown. Depending on your settings you may have changed from one type to another.

Have a look through the following tutorial which will explain the differences and show how to turn it on or off.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

philc43, Jun 5, 2016
  5. GuitarG Win User
    Hey!

thanks for the reply
    I switched the fast startup OFF some time ago, I had an issue with it, dont remember exactly what.
    Can that be also the reason it shuts down slower??
    I did lower the killapptime and all that stuff found in the online tutorials...

GuitarG, Jun 6, 2016
  6. GuitarG Win User
    ok haha, I remember now what issue I had with it, because I switched it back to ON and now my PC doesn´t start.
    The problem is that when I switch on fast startup, its true that the PC shuts down in 1-2 seconds but I can´t switch on the PC afterwards!
    When I push the power button nothing happens.....
    I have to disconnect the power cable, wait a bit, connect it again, and then windows starts again, but a full re-start
    Any ideas on that??

GuitarG, Jun 6, 2016
  7. philc43 Win User
    Thanks for the feedback. So, if you can get the Fast Startup process working you will be in great shape. Try researching that on these forums and see if you can fix it. Try searching for threads on Fast Startup in combination with your make of motherboard. Pay particular attention to Intel Management Engine drivers because that is usually the culprit.

philc43, Jun 6, 2016
  8. GuitarG Win User

That´s great! Thanks a lot for the help, will dive into that straight away!

GuitarG, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Sudden increase in shutdown time - Similar Threads - Sudden increase shutdown

2. Sudden Increase in storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sudden Increase in storage: Hello My computer has 29.1 GB total storage Thats the maximum you can have . Anyways On December 6 My Gb space was at least 26.9 Gb on December 6. The next Day December 7th My storage suddenly increased by 3 Gb. Nothing has been downloaded nothing is in my temp folder there...
  3. Sudden Increase in storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden Increase in storage: Hello My computer has 29.1 GB total storage Thats the maximum you can have . Anyways On December 6 My Gb space was at least 26.9 Gb on December 6. The next Day December 7th My storage suddenly increased by 3 Gb. Nothing has been downloaded nothing is in my temp folder there...
  4. Sudden Increase in storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Sudden Shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sudden Shutdown: Hi. I have looked at a couple of other threads on this but none seem to indicate a possible solution. I wonder if anyone can assist. I am trying to sort out my daughters computer, which has an annoying habit of suddenly shutting down. I have recently reinstalled everything in...
  6. Sudden Shutdowns

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sudden Shutdowns: I started using my aunt's laptop recently and it shuts down whenever I use it- be it playing a game called League of Legends or simply using the browser. It thought it might be a case of over heating but it shuts down despite being cool to the touch. I took a look at the...
  7. PC boot time suddenly increases

PC boot time suddenly increases: So after years of using a HDD as a boot drive I finally upgraded to an SSD and used it fully as a boot drive and the boot time was like 5 seconds. However recently it became more than 20 seconds out of the blue. I at first thought it was because of a new PCI-E WiFi card I...
  8. Sudden shutdown

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sudden shutdown: Hi, I have a problem, my surface pro 7 sudden shutdown when I do no activity for less than a minute. Please advise https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/sudden-shutdown/763053da-4505-4c92-9810-e876029cc31d
  9. Shutdown time increases after windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Shutdown time increases after windows update: I have bought HP ENVY x360 laptop last week. It was working fine but after applying windows update the shutdown time increases to 5 minutes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutdown-time-increases-after-windows-update/23111acf-1de7-4596-b68c-e19c705b7310
  10. Boot time increase

Boot time increase: Hey guys, a few days ago I had to use my gigabyte's backup bios due to corruption, and now my pc takes upto a minute to boot instead of about 10-15 seconds. (stays on gigabyte screen till boot). Any ideas? 55114