Windows 10: Sudden large disparity between download & upload speeds.

Discus and support Sudden large disparity between download & upload speeds. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; (First post: Win 10 1809) Hello. I have encountered what seems to me to be a strange phenomenon: Recently upgraded to "1000 Mbps" fiber internet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DonaldW, Apr 5, 2020.

1. DonaldW Win User

Sudden large disparity between download & upload speeds.

(First post: Win 10 1809) Hello. I have encountered what seems to me to be a strange phenomenon: Recently upgraded to "1000 Mbps" fiber internet provider. Initial speeds for both download and upload speeds spread across the 900's, with upload speeds consistently a bit higher than download speeds. Yesterday one desktop seemed to have internet connectivity issues. I noted that the desktops Ethernet connection had for some reason adopted the name of one of our wireless routers: What had been "Network 2" was now "(SSID) 2".

This Dell XPS desktop (Win 10 Pro 64b, Version 1809) has both wired and wireless network connections, with the later used to connect to various peripherals. When I checked into Speedtest.net, Download speeds remained in the 900's, but upload speeds dropped below 50 Mbps. I went though various network troubleshooting steps and a number of restarts, this disparity persisted. Other than the lack of a name change to wired network connection, this disparity was also obtained on another desktop on the same network. However, speed checks on iOS tablet reveled no disparity whatsoever, suggesting that the phenomenon is limited to Windows machines.

Given my naive and limited understanding of Windows networking, I was hoping someone might help me to better understand the issue and, perhaps, suggest a fix.

:)

DonaldW, Apr 5, 2020

2. Slow Download Speed

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft forums.

• I would suggest you to test the speed using any of the speed test website or app to confirm the upload and download speed.
    • I also suggest you to reset the wireless router to check if that helps.
    • You may plug in the Ethernet cable if available and check the speed.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you

Rajeshwari_Patil, Apr 5, 2020
  3. magibeg Win User
    upload speed 5x faster than download speed

Your upload says 400kbps which is closer to like 50kb/s upload. So your download is still faster then your upload speed. Your download speed is more like 768kbps probably. What are your advertised speeds? Is it 768/400?

magibeg, Apr 5, 2020
  4. Sudden large disparity between download & upload speeds.

upload speed 5x faster than download speed

hey guys i found this really strange. my download speeds are insanely slow, yet my upload speeds are fast! what the heck is the matter? everytime i download a file, i download at 80kbps. when i upload a file to a website, filefront for example, i upload it at 400kbps. why is my download speed so horrible! im running wireless g.

karolpl2004, Apr 5, 2020
Thema:

Sudden large disparity between download & upload speeds.

1. Sudden large disparity between download & upload speeds. - Similar Threads - Sudden large disparity

2. Slow Download Speed, Fast Upload Speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow Download Speed, Fast Upload Speed: Good morning Support Community,Having an odd problem that I haven't found a solution for online so am going to post.I recently upgraded my internet to 5 Gb Fiber connection.When I run speed tests I'm getting ~950 Mb/s Download and 2355 Mb/s Upload on my 2.5 Gb/s Ethernet...
  3. Sudden drop in Upload Speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden drop in Upload Speed: Fresh install of Windows 10 on my computer, I checked the Download/Upload speed this morning, and I was getting pretty symmetrical speeds. about 900 Mbps down/up.But now my Upload speed has dropped dramatically, I still get 900 Mbps Download but only 70 Mbps Upload...
  4. Sudden drop in Upload Speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden drop in Upload Speed: Fresh install of Windows 10 on my computer, I checked the Download/Upload speed this morning, and I was getting pretty symmetrical speeds. about 900 Mbps down/up.But now my Upload speed has dropped dramatically, I still get 900 Mbps Download but only 70 Mbps Upload...
  5. Sudden drop in Upload Speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. LAN Upload speed suddenly low

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LAN Upload speed suddenly low: HelloMy LAN upload speed suddenly after Windows update dropped to 1 Mbps. The normal upload speed should be around 60 Mbps. The download speed is still normal about 600 Mbps. The wireless speed hasn't changed, it is still working well. This upload speed drop happened on one...
  7. LAN Upload speed suddenly low

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    LAN Upload speed suddenly low: HelloMy LAN upload speed suddenly after Windows update dropped to 1 Mbps. The normal upload speed should be around 60 Mbps. The download speed is still normal about 600 Mbps. The wireless speed hasn't changed, it is still working well. This upload speed drop happened on one...
  8. LAN Upload speed suddenly low

9. Why is there such a large disparity between the storage space shown available on C: and the...

Why is there such a large disparity between the storage space shown available on C: and the...: Firstly, I would like to note that I have hidden folders displayed as you can see in the first photo. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Anyways, I just deleted a 20GB folder from an AppData within my user folder, but the "This PC" page showed no change in the amount of available storage...
  10. Unstable download/upload speed

in Windows 10 Support
    Unstable download/upload speed: Hi Im a livestreamer on Youtube my current speeds are 11,5mb down and 5,5up, im the only one connected to the internet and I always drop a lot of frames (only during the day) when its night like +2am it drops 0 frames and its very stable . heres a picture of a 5,000 bitrate...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why upload speed 5x more than download speed