Windows 10: Sudden notification to Backup Encryption Key

Discus and support Sudden notification to Backup Encryption Key in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi I was working and all of a sudden I got a notification from EFS UI application asking me to backup some Encryption key!. I was not performing any... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RajeevP1, Jul 24, 2020.

1. RajeevP1 Win User

Sudden notification to Backup Encryption Key

Hi I was working and all of a sudden I got a notification from EFS UI application asking me to backup some Encryption key!. I was not performing any kind of encryptions and my Bit Locker encryption also OFF. Why am I seeing this? Is any ransomware trying to perform any encryption in the background without my knowledge? I'm concerned. Please help.

:)

RajeevP1, Jul 24, 2020
  2. RajeevP1 Win User

Hi I was working and all of a sudden I got a notification from EFS UI application asking me to backup some Encryption key!. I was not performing any kind of encryptions and my Bit Locker encryption also OFF. Why am I seeing this? Is any ransomware trying
    to perform any encryption in the background without my knowledge? I'm concerned. Please help.

RajeevP1, Jul 27, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User

Hi Rajeev

Please see the thread below, Greg has provided a reply on that thread, is that the dialog you are seeing on your PC, if so, rest assured that is not ransomware and is a legitimate popup

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

If that is the popup you are seeing, even though you are not using Encryption, you can then go ahead and backup that key for future reference and also check that encryption is still turned off on your PC . . .

DaveM121, Jul 27, 2020
  4. desk77 Win User

Backup the EFS encryption key file

Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker.
    I did some search online and I got the list of all encrypted files: there are thousands of files and belongs to Apps, like facebook, onedrive, inkscape and so on.
    So my questions are:
    • why did that message suddenly appear?
    • why are those files encrypted?
    • do those files have to be encrypted?
    • bitdefender has just found Gen:L: [email protected]@bq2Abpn in temp folder. Could I have got a ransomware that is encrypting all files?
    Thanks in advance!

desk77, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Sudden notification to Backup Encryption Key - Similar Threads - Sudden notification Backup

2. Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key: Hi,Is it normal behaviour on Windows 11 to be prompted to "Backup file encryption certificate and key" after resetting a local user account password?BitLocker is disables for the disk on this device....
  3. Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key: Hi,Is it normal behaviour on Windows 11 to be prompted to "Backup file encryption certificate and key" after resetting a local user account password?BitLocker is disables for the disk on this device....
  4. encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key: hello sir please help me ,, some one put extension on all files like viruses they send me textATTENTION! Don't worry, you can return all your files! All your files like pictures, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key....
  5. encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key: hello sir please help me ,, some one put extension on all files like viruses they send me textATTENTION! Don't worry, you can return all your files! All your files like pictures, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key....
  6. backup your file encryption certificate and key windows 10 popup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    backup your file encryption certificate and key windows 10 popup: Hi! When i open my pc i can see an icon, and when i click on it i get a pop-up that says: "backup your file encryption certificate and key ". I didnt encrypt anything , so i ran "cipher /u /n /h" in a cmd and nothing was outputted. I went in certmgr and in the...
  7. Backup Issues and Encryption

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Issues and Encryption: I want to backup my Hard Drives to an External Seagate Hard Drive. I have a C drive that is not encrypted and a D drive that is encrypted. I also have a number of my documents stored only on One Drive. 1. How do I backup the Encrypted Drive? a. . I am using the Windows...
  8. How to backup EFS encryption key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to backup EFS encryption key in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Whenever we encrypt any data, we need a simple key just to unlock it. Well, this key is everything. This key is the foundation of the security on the user’s front. And keeping it safe and secure is one of [...] This post How to backup EFS encryption key in Windows...
  9. Backup the EFS encryption key file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup the EFS encryption key file: Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker. I did some search online and...
  10. Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10: How to: Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 How to Back Up Your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key in Windows 10 [img] Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and...