Windows 10: Sudden popup and stutter in sound with occasional FPS drops in some games and videos.

Discus and support Sudden popup and stutter in sound with occasional FPS drops in some games and videos. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am having this strange sound lag/stutter/pop and sometimes FPS drop while playing games and videos from youtube in chrome/firefox. I scanned with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Shivgre, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Shivgre Win User

Sudden popup and stutter in sound with occasional FPS drops in some games and videos.

I am having this strange sound lag/stutter/pop and sometimes FPS drop while playing games and videos from youtube in chrome/firefox.

I scanned with latencyMon and it shows DPC latency issues with some buffer thing sometimes while at other times it shows CPU throttling and network issue.

I isolated the networkUnplugged the LAN cable and disabled network adapter and the issue was still there so it can't be network issue.

Its not related to my speakers since it happens with in ear 3.5 mm sony headphones too.

My PC is 8700k, 1070ti GTX, 32 GB RAMI replaced RAM recently and issue is present with both old and new RAMs.

Temperatures usually fluctuate around 65 Degree Celcius for CPU with average 40% load and 60 degree celciuos for GPU.

HwInfo tool shows no thermal throttling in CPU and I disabled C states in Bios. I even tried turning off idle mode for CPU in windows so it constantly used 100% CPU and the issue was still there for the audio stutter/pop.

I give up now. I have reinstalled network drivers, nvidia drivers audio drivers and what not.

It seems to happen all of a sudden and than after restart it goes away for a while.

I have a corsair RM 850x PSU and I am sure its working fine. I have removed GPU and cleaned any dust from components and reinstalled everything except CPU and HDDs.

This issue started happening after I got M.2 SSD installed last month maybe it is relatedI don't know. The games on this SSD works fine though.

I once moved TEMP directory paths to this new SSD, but than I reverted to original windows TEMP directory.

Below is the latest report from LatencyMon.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CONCLUSION

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.

LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:07:05 h:mm:ss on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION

Computer name: SHIVGRE

OS version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2004, build: 19041 x64

Hardware: System Product Name, System manufacturer

CPU: GenuineIntel IntelR CoreTM i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz

Logical processors: 12

Processor groups: 1

RAM: 32708 MB total

CPU SPEED

Reported CPU speed: 3696 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES

The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency µs: 4242.10

Average measured interrupt to process latency µs: 3.434262

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency µs: 4239.50

Average measured interrupt to DPC latency µs: 1.312536

REPORTED ISRs

Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time µs: 651.984848

Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time %: 0.099182

Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs % 0.107541

ISR count execution time <250 µs: 429439

ISR count execution time 250-500 µs: 0

ISR count execution time 500-1000 µs: 11

ISR count execution time 1000-2000 µs: 0

ISR count execution time 2000-4000 µs: 0

ISR count execution time >=4000 µs: 0

REPORTED DPCs

DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time µs: 4033.453463

Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time %: 0.057760

Driver with highest DPC total execution time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs % 0.195970

DPC count execution time <250 µs: 1491672

DPC count execution time 250-500 µs: 0

DPC count execution time 500-10000 µs: 110

DPC count execution time 1000-2000 µs: 5

DPC count execution time 2000-4000 µs: 0

DPC count execution time >=4000 µs: 1

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS

Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: mrt.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 5126

Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 2335

Number of processes hit: 129

PER CPU DATA

CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time s: 20.716421

CPU 0 ISR highest execution time µs: 651.984848

CPU 0 ISR total execution time s: 5.440942

CPU 0 ISR count: 382572

CPU 0 DPC highest execution time µs: 4033.453463

CPU 0 DPC total execution time s: 9.371130

CPU 0 DPC count: 1342815

CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time s: 2.024123

CPU 1 ISR highest execution time µs: 75.326299

CPU 1 ISR total execution time s: 0.021673

CPU 1 ISR count: 6733

CPU 1 DPC highest execution time µs: 306.372294

CPU 1 DPC total execution time s: 0.298052

CPU 1 DPC count: 47018

CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time s: 1.757615

CPU 2 ISR highest execution time µs: 2.187229

CPU 2 ISR total execution time s: 0.000080

CPU 2 ISR count: 74

CPU 2 DPC highest execution time µs: 41.206169

CPU 2 DPC total execution time s: 0.017151

CPU 2 DPC count: 6165

CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time s: 1.409057

CPU 3 ISR highest execution time µs: 0.0

CPU 3 ISR total execution time s: 0.0

CPU 3 ISR count: 0

CPU 3 DPC highest execution time µs: 37.446429

CPU 3 DPC total execution time s: 0.011315

CPU 3 DPC count: 3038

CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time s: 1.811828

CPU 4 ISR highest execution time µs: 0.0

CPU 4 ISR total execution time s: 0.0

CPU 4 ISR count: 0

CPU 4 DPC highest execution time µs: 93.104437

CPU 4 DPC total execution time s: 0.046883

CPU 4 DPC count: 16280

CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time s: 1.475458

CPU 5 ISR highest execution time µs: 0.0

CPU 5 ISR total execution time s: 0.0

CPU 5 ISR count: 0

CPU 5 DPC highest execution time µs: 194.697511

CPU 5 DPC total execution time s: 0.015075

CPU 5 DPC count: 4594

CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time s: 1.822206

CPU 6 ISR highest execution time µs: 0.0

CPU 6 ISR total execution time s: 0.0

CPU 6 ISR count: 0

CPU 6 DPC highest execution time µs: 94.825216

CPU 6 DPC total execution time s: 0.053541

CPU 6 DPC count: 16426

CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time s: 1.501907

CPU 7 ISR highest execution time µs: 0.0

CPU 7 ISR total execution time s: 0.0

CPU 7 ISR count: 0

CPU 7 DPC highest execution time µs: 39.023268

CPU 7 DPC total execution time s: 0.012413

CPU 7 DPC count: 3569

CPU 8 Interrupt cycle time s: 1.940953

CPU 8 ISR highest execution time µs: 37.325216

CPU 8 ISR total execution time s: 0.011136

CPU 8 ISR count: 15926

CPU 8 DPC highest execution time µs: 74.781385

CPU 8 DPC total execution time s: 0.068860

CPU 8 DPC count: 20586

CPU 9 Interrupt cycle time s: 1.702867

CPU 9 ISR highest execution time µs: 3.449134

CPU 9 ISR total execution time s: 0.013168

CPU 9 ISR count: 24145

CPU 9 DPC highest execution time µs: 41.927489

CPU 9 DPC total execution time s: 0.036796

CPU 9 DPC count: 13130

CPU 10 Interrupt cycle time s: 1.814848

CPU 10 ISR highest execution time µs: 0.0

CPU 10 ISR total execution time s: 0.0

CPU 10 ISR count: 0

CPU 10 DPC highest execution time µs: 51.764610

CPU 10 DPC total execution time s: 0.048810

CPU 10 DPC count: 13757

CPU 11 Interrupt cycle time s: 1.546691

CPU 11 ISR highest execution time µs: 0.0

CPU 11 ISR total execution time s: 0.0

CPU 11 ISR count: 0

CPU 11 DPC highest execution time µs: 42.731061

CPU 11 DPC total execution time s: 0.018835

CPU 11 DPC count: 4410

:)

Shivgre, Oct 13, 2020
  2. Dull Byte Win User

Sudden FPS drop/Stutter

Since 2 days ago, I just turned on my Computer, and it starting having issues while I was playing Witcher 3 (starts with decent fpsm and then very low fps, dropping to 35, then 20, and stopping at 12 or so, in a matter of seconds, in a matter of 1min of starting the game), also stuttering without any high demanding programs, randomly. I was playing at 45-60 fps, without any stutters or sudden fps drop. Have tried other games the issue persists. Even setup everything to low settings.
    I have ran several tests with several tools, all seems normal, no sudden memory spikes, or temperature raising out of the ordinary, nothing that would indicate such an fps drop or stuttering.

MSI Afterburner

I also did the reset option on Windows10, completly cleaned out all my personal info from the windows partition.
    So at this point, I am not sure if it is a software issue or a hardware issue.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Edit: I kept doing some tests to find out the issue. And this happened before and I was able to replicate it. Same thing happened as before, till I set it up to fullscreen, Alt+Tab from the game and then back to the game, FPS went up to 50 again, stable and good, dropped after a couple of seconds. After a bit it went to 2-5 fps, and I had to shutdown the game, because even the sound was getting messed up.

MSI Afterburner 2

In this image those ups and downs in the GPU usage are when the fps dropped really hard and the sound got messed up.

Dull Byte, Oct 13, 2020
  3. Gaming FPS Drop/Stutter after recent Windows 10 update.

After this new years update, I noticed that my games have been getting frame drops and stuttering. I have a NVIDIA GEforce 1070 and I was able to run games such as CS:GO or League of Legends smoothly before the new year. However, after the recent Windows
    10 update, my computer can't handle the games well. For example, League of Legends ran at 144 fps (I capped it there) and constantly ran at 144 fps before the new year. However, after the new year update, my League fails to consistently run 144 fps, drops
    down to even 90 sometimes, and there is a lot of frame stuttering that is inhibiting my ability to play the game. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

PenguinYuki, Oct 13, 2020
  4. Sudden popup and stutter in sound with occasional FPS drops in some games and videos.

Desktop suffering from stuttering, FPS drops, and random crashes.

Hello all,

This is the first post I will be making outside of the welcome page.
    My Desktop computer has been having issues with games constantly stuttering and occasionally crashing for what seems like no reason. There are error logs reported on Event Viewer for the crashes but no information that I can see related to the stuttering.

I can only describe this stuttering as a sudden drop of FPS to 0 with sound glitches and then back up in a second or 2 working fine. Other instances of this happening can also be a drop of FPS to around 20 with sound glitching out much more and for a longer period of time. The sound glitching I refer to sounds like a something being constantly repeated over itself so for example instead of "Hi" it would sound like "Hihihihihihihihihihihi". It may also be worth mentioning that I have a external sound card installed on my system, a SoundBlaster Zx.

The crashes I refer to happen instantaneously and I have not been able to explain them whatsoever. In the event viewer I have noticed with games Fallout 4 and CS:GO they appear with the application error event 1000. fallout 4 refers themselves as the faulting module and CS:GO refers to a Nvidia process called "Nvd3dum.dll" (See Screens Below)

Sudden popup and stutter in sound with occasional FPS drops in some games and videos. [​IMG]

Sudden popup and stutter in sound with occasional FPS drops in some games and videos. [​IMG]

Since these issues has shown up I have replaced my PSU and my RAM to see if that would change anything. The specific PSU and RAM I got is a Corsair RM850 and a 16GB set (2X8GB) of Crucial Ballistix Sport. These changes have done nothing to alleviate the issues I have been experiencing. I have also attempted to unplug all HDDs and SSDs as well as reseat all components of my Desktop. I have reinstalled windows 10 multiple times using a USB flash drive. I have attempted Reinstalling GPU Drivers (Nvidia) and tweaking Graphics settings using the NVIDIA control panel. None of my attempts to fix have worked thus far.

Most of the fixes I have tried are related to the error 0xc0000005, which appears in the event previously mentioned above, but I am not the most savvy when it comes to more in depth analysis and repairs. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Baconation, Oct 13, 2020
Thema:

Sudden popup and stutter in sound with occasional FPS drops in some games and videos.

1. Sudden popup and stutter in sound with occasional FPS drops in some games and videos. - Similar Threads - Sudden popup stutter

2. Fps drops and Stuttering on all games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fps drops and Stuttering on all games: Pc specs: Ryzen 7 7800x3d RTX 4070 superMag b650 Tomahawk wifiSamsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB 32gb ram Corsair Rm850 gold plusI updated all bios and drivers. Reinstalled them as well. Did a full Windows reinstall. Temps are below 80 degrees Celsius for both CPU and GPU. Usage...
  3. Fps drops and Stuttering on all games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fps drops and Stuttering on all games: Pc specs: Ryzen 7 7800x3d RTX 4070 superMag b650 Tomahawk wifiSamsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB 32gb ram Corsair Rm850 gold plusI updated all bios and drivers. Reinstalled them as well. Did a full Windows reinstall. Temps are below 80 degrees Celsius for both CPU and GPU. Usage...
  4. Sudden FPS Drops in games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden FPS Drops in games: Hello, So quite recently, I was forced naturally by windows to update to Windows 11. I was quite pessimistic, but then I read more about it and so I did not mind having it after ensuring that new update does not decrease your performance. Well, i hoped that's the thing, yet...
  5. Sudden FPS Drops in games

Sudden FPS Drops in games: Hello, So quite recently, I was forced naturally by windows to update to Windows 11. I was quite pessimistic, but then I read more about it and so I did not mind having it after ensuring that new update does not decrease your performance. Well, i hoped that's the thing, yet...
  6. Fps drops and stutters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fps drops and stutters: So I used this debloater tool to debloat my windows 11 and soon I used the restore point I made but it gives me lower fps rhan before I used the debloater and alot of stutters...
  7. Fps drops and stutters

Fps drops and stutters: So I used this debloater tool to debloat my windows 11 and soon I used the restore point I made but it gives me lower fps rhan before I used the debloater and alot of stutters...
  8. FPS DROPS AND STUTTERS

in Windows 10 Customization
    FPS DROPS AND STUTTERS: Eveytime when i play a game my fps drops and stutters of lot.And i don't know how to fix it.And i was using my pc for 2 months.Could you help me fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fps-drops-and-stutters/1b0a26e1-f4aa-4258-8042-c564217d0973
  9. FPS drops suddenly in games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FPS drops suddenly in games: Since nearly 2 months I've been experiencing issues while gaming. While playing CSGO at 48 fpscapped there tho the framerate sometimes drops from 48 to 5-6 ingame for nearly 2 to 3 minutes thus making th game unplayable during that time. It happens every 10 to 15 minutes...
  10. Sudden FPS drops in games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden FPS drops in games: I have installed Windows 10 via bootcamp on my iMac 5K 2017. For years I played games on it on windows without any problem, and it gets 60fps in max graphics at 1440p resolution in many games, even in recent ones. Suddenly, without me doing anything wrong or different, I...