Windows 10: Sudden shutdown when in battery mode

Discus and support Sudden shutdown when in battery mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My HP laptop is fine when in AC mode. When in battery mode, the laptop will unexpectedly shut down, and this can happen after various time lengths.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JohnFrederickSNR, May 19, 2020.

1. Sudden shutdown when in battery mode

My HP laptop is fine when in AC mode. When in battery mode, the laptop will unexpectedly shut down, and this can happen after various time lengths. Battery check reveals no problem. Battery is usually 80 to high 90@s %. All drivers checked and ok. BIOS checked and ok.

Computer management logs always show the same event. Critical - Kernel Power - Event ID 41 - Task Category 63. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed or lost power unexpectedly.

I have tried to research this, but no clean answer. Other than this does seem to be a problem with HP. Any new perspective would be appreciated.

Problem appears worse since latest 1909 update.

Many thanks

:)

JohnFrederickSNR, May 19, 2020

2. Sudden Shutdown in windows 10

Thank you all for your responses.

It seems that problem has been resolved. but it's very early to say.

Troubleshoots I have done are mentioned below,

First step:

• Upgrade Bios from manufacturer site.
    Second step:

• Shutdown the computer.
    • Unplug AC adapter.
    • Disassemble the computer in order to access to the battery.
    • Disconnect the battery connector from the motherboard slot.
    • Clean it properly by compressed air lookout for fragile parts as well.
    • Wait for 15 minutes at minimum.
    • Connect the battery connector to the motherboard slot.
    • Reassemble.
    • Plug in AC adapter.
    • Let the computer load the battery at full capacity.

I will update about performance and this issue.

manthan_modh, May 19, 2020
  3. Battery Won't Charge Fully

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Sudden shutdown when in battery mode pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, May 19, 2020
  4. R-T-B Win User

Sudden shutdown when in battery mode

PC is Suffering Unexpected Shutdowns

Most important detail to me would be whether these shutdowns are sudden, in which case it's likely a short or PSU issue (capacitor aging maybe?) or graceful windows style shutdowns, which suggests software interference.

It could also be overheating components if it's a sudden shutdown. What are your thermals like?

R-T-B, May 19, 2020
Thema:

Sudden shutdown when in battery mode

1. Sudden shutdown when in battery mode - Similar Threads - Sudden shutdown battery

2. Battery completely used when shutdown.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Battery completely used when shutdown.: Device: HP Laptop, Windows 10When I charge, the battery goes from like 20-30% and jumps to 100%.Also, shutdown from the start key drains all the battery.Battery drains a little bit faster than usual.Sometimes the laptop shuts down with battery, but when I reopen it, it says...
  3. Battery completely used when shutdown.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery completely used when shutdown.: Device: HP Laptop, Windows 10When I charge, the battery goes from like 20-30% and jumps to 100%.Also, shutdown from the start key drains all the battery.Battery drains a little bit faster than usual.Sometimes the laptop shuts down with battery, but when I reopen it, it says...
  4. Battery completely used when shutdown.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Battery power and Sudden shutdowns

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Battery power and Sudden shutdowns: Hello I having been using an MSI laptop for about 5 months, recently in the past 7 days its battery has started lasting only round about 30 minutes from before it was about 2 hours. I also suddenly just shutdown and restarts closing all my programs and work which is...
  6. Battery power and Sudden shutdowns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery power and Sudden shutdowns: Hello I having been using an MSI laptop for about 5 months, recently in the past 7 days its battery has started lasting only round about 30 minutes from before it was about 2 hours. I also suddenly just shutdown and restarts closing all my programs and work which is...
  7. Battery power and Sudden shutdowns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Sudden Shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sudden Shutdown: Hi. I have looked at a couple of other threads on this but none seem to indicate a possible solution. I wonder if anyone can assist. I am trying to sort out my daughters computer, which has an annoying habit of suddenly shutting down. I have recently reinstalled everything in...
  9. Sudden Shutdowns

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sudden Shutdowns: I started using my aunt's laptop recently and it shuts down whenever I use it- be it playing a game called League of Legends or simply using the browser. It thought it might be a case of over heating but it shuts down despite being cool to the touch. I took a look at the...
  10. Sudden shutdown

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sudden shutdown: Hi, I have a problem, my surface pro 7 sudden shutdown when I do no activity for less than a minute. Please advise https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/sudden-shutdown/763053da-4505-4c92-9810-e876029cc31d