Windows 10: Suddenly 5.1 Sound downgraded to 2.1 on Windows 10

Discus and support Suddenly 5.1 Sound downgraded to 2.1 on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have a 5.1 Setup with Teufel Concept E 300 using the decoder station (av receiver) connected via optical cable with my computer (onboard, ROG... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by schedulix, Oct 27, 2019.

1. schedulix Win User

Suddenly 5.1 Sound downgraded to 2.1 on Windows 10

Hi,

I have a 5.1 Setup with Teufel Concept E 300 using the decoder station (av receiver) connected via optical cable with my computer (onboard, ROG MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA | Motherboards | ASUS Global).

Since last week, I have the problem,
    that my pc sound is not played correctly.
    The rear speakers are not used correctly the sound is played on the front right/left speakers and sometimes very very quiet on the rear speakers.

I used this video to test it:
    https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/ChID-BLITS-EBU.mp4

Some statistics:
    Windows 10 / 1903 / Build 18362.449 (Updated to 1903 on august '19)
    Realtek ALC1150
    Realtek High Definition Audio (6.0.1.8339)
    5.1 Stereo on AV Receiver (connected via optical cable)

Suddenly 5.1 Sound downgraded to 2.1 on Windows 10 [​IMG]

Suddenly 5.1 Sound downgraded to 2.1 on Windows 10 [​IMG]

I tried multiple things:
    • I checked the update history of windows, but there was no update, which has the effect to get this broken
    • Uninstalled realtek driver and reinstalled it -> sound available, aber problem with wrong 5.1 playback still exists
    • Uninstalled realtek driver and installed different versions -> sound available, aber problem with wrong 5.1 playback still exists
    • Uninstalled realtek driver and tried the one from windows 10 Update -> sound available, aber problem with wrong 5.1 playback still exists
    • Uninstalled realtek driver and installed AAFDrvInst_HDA_ALL-6.0.8822.1.exe -> no sound at all, seems to doesn't work with this audio chip
    • I changed to 24 bit, 48kHz -> sound available, aber problem with wrong 5.1 playback still exists
    • Tested the audio playback on a different device (PS3) connected with optical cable ->
      5.1 works like intended, the rear speakers are adressed like it should be
    • Tested the speakers directly with the AV Receiver Test, and they are working correctly.
    • tried to configure the device to be 5.1 or something like that, but the configure button on windows is grayed out for this device, maybe because of optical cable?

now I don't know what other possibilities I have to get it working.
    Maybe buying a separate sound card?

I read multiple threads on different forums and there are many users, who have some problems with deactivated DTS on the realtek drivers on asus products (because of license issues!?).
    Dont know it this can be an issue, because it was not configured at all, afaik.

best regards

:)

schedulix, Oct 27, 2019
  2. kyle2020 Win User

[WTB]   [UK] Decent 2:1 / 5:1 Sound System!

Hmm, i have looked those 540's up before - im just thinking if the 5:1 aspect will really be such a benefit, i mean at the minute i cant tell that im running 5:1 versus 2:1 - would it be worth spending extra to buy a 5:1 system? plus, my room aint that big as it is, so would 2:1 really be such a "downgrade"?

kyle2020, Oct 27, 2019
  3. 1) Accessing msconfig in windows 10. 2) No sound after installing Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Step 1: DISM TOOL:

• On the Search bar type “cmd”. You will notice Command prompt as an option
      Right Click on it and select Run as Administrator. (If prompted for a password, type the password and click Allow)

• Type “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth”\
    For more information about DISM click on the link below: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Step 2: System File Checker (SFC) Scan:

• Press Windows Key and type “cmd”. You will notice Command prompt as an option
      Right Click on it and select Run as Administrator.

• Type “sfc /scannow” and hit Enter.

• Exit Command Prompt.

For more information about SFC Scan click on the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833
    Step 3:Follow the steps to update the audio drivers:

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.

• Expand the Sound, Video and game controllers.

• Right-click on the Sound card and click on Update driver software.

• Restart the computer and check.
    You might have to Uninstall and then re install you audio drivers from the manufacturer's website in Compatibility mode.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Mussels Win User

[WTB]   [UK] Decent 2:1 / 5:1 Sound System!

5.1 is not about volume. its about positional audio for movies and games.

There is three bonuses to the 540's

1. The sub cone faces into the floor. This makes the bass go straight into the ground, making it sound more powerful (instead of dissipating into the air)
    2. They have a headphone jack
    3. They have a button to automatically upmix 2.0 channel stereo into 4.0 surround (ONLY use it for music... its terrible for games/movies)

Edit: IMO, it depends on price. if you can get some awesome logitech 2.1 for the price of a mid range logitech 5.1, sure, go the 2.1 set - it'll have more power and better quality.

Mussels, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Suddenly 5.1 Sound downgraded to 2.1 on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Suddenly Sound downgraded

2. Monitor 1/2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor 1/2: Why is my first monitor showing up as monitor 1/2 while me second shows up as 3? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-12/da4f197f-5930-4f7b-a348-e679c7f56be6
  3. 2/1 appearences

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2/1 appearences: CONHOST.EXEMicrosoft CorporationFeb 1, 2022MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.STARTMENUEXPERIENCEHOSTUnknownFeb 1, 2022MessengerUnknownFeb 1, 2022Anyone know what these are? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/21-appearences/097dc686-b9a5-4e74-ac08-1c503dfb43b6
  4. 2/1 appearences

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2/1 appearences: CONHOST.EXEMicrosoft CorporationFeb 1, 2022MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.STARTMENUEXPERIENCEHOSTUnknownFeb 1, 2022MessengerUnknownFeb 1, 2022Anyone know what these are? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/21-appearences/097dc686-b9a5-4e74-ac08-1c503dfb43b6
  5. How to downgrade from wsl 2 to wsl 1?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to downgrade from wsl 2 to wsl 1?: I installed wsl 2, but i had to disable Hyper-V to use Virtualbox, and now my wsl machines, ubuntu and debiain, won't start. How to downgrade form wsl 2 to wsl 1, because it seems wsl 1 works fine with Hyper-V disabled? submitted by /u/evolution800 [link] [comments]...
  6. 2-in-1 not rotating screen all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2-in-1 not rotating screen all of a sudden: Hello I need helps! I bought the Samsung Galaxy Book Flex and my screen was rotating automatically for the first few days and now it won't. I've checked drivers, auto-rotate is not locked, display settings are fine. Anyone have an idea what else I can troubleshoot? submitted...
  7. multiple monitors change 1/2 to 1 and 2

in Windows 10 Customization
    multiple monitors change 1/2 to 1 and 2: When I go to Settings and Display, my multiple monitors show "1/2" instead of 1 and 2. I think you can change this by right clicking on the clock/date on the bottom right, but I don't know which to select when I get there. Help?...
  8. hy im windows 10 no sound in system 5+1 no sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hy im windows 10 no sound in system 5+1 no sound: im windows 10 no sound in system 5+1 no sound https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hy-im-windows-10-no-sound-in-system-51-no-sound/dfcd0bea-d64e-4d4a-8d22-a1d756aec611
  9. Shenmue 1 and 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shenmue 1 and 2: I just recently got this through game pass and it won't open past the launcher. I have been through every forum and post about this issue and tried everything that has been suggested. The issue isn't my computer as far as I've seen I believe it is that there is some kind of...
  10. windows 10 2 in 1

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows 10 2 in 1: just got a tablet 2 in 1 it comes on but no window 10 start up asking password but it won't take it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-2-in-1/ad8cda56-55a9-4eef-b2fc-361bfabf42dd