Windows 10: Suddenly booting up on drive selection menu

Discus and support Suddenly booting up on drive selection menu in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, after my first fresh install of win10 a year ago, I never had to see the boot menu, however today, when I turned on my PC, it suddenly brought me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ArcHexe, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Suddenly booting up on drive selection menu

Hi, after my first fresh install of win10 a year ago, I never had to see the boot menu, however today, when I turned on my PC, it suddenly brought me to the boot menu. I can still select the correct drive with my installation of win10, but is this a sign that my drive is failing, or did someone mess with my settings as a prank?

submitted by /u/ArcHexe
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ArcHexe, Feb 4, 2021
  2. btarunr Win User

Can't boot from DVD drive

Is your controller in RAID/AHCI modes? If so, the DVD drive will be listed as a separate device in the list of available boot devices, not as "CDROM". Remember that when setting boot device priority. Otherwise, read the manual to see which hotkey during POST brings up the boot menu that lets you select which device to boot from. Even here, the drive will be listed separately, and not as "CDROM".

btarunr, Feb 4, 2021
  3. A Monell Win User
    confused about selecting boot device

This is good information but I am confused about step 2 below. Wouldn't I need to select whatever device, USB or DVD, the install media is on at this point and not how I want the final install to boot?
    Thanks,and sorry for dragging up an old post but it had most of the info I was looking for.

It is up to you whether you want to install Windows using MBR or GPT and you need to set the option in the BIOS for MBR or GPT style installation.

Having said that. Here's the steps:
    1. Disconnect all HD/SSD except the one you will be installing Windows
    2. From the boot menu, Select #1 for GPT or select #2 for MBR to boot up the Windows Installation
      Attachment 29081
      NOTE: The screen is an example and might look different from yours
    3. Once the Windows Installation started. On the first screen, Press and hold SHIFT Key + F10, a command Windows will popup then type:
      - diskpart
      - select disk 0
      - Clean
      - Exit
      - Exit
    4. Click Next to continue.
    5. Select Custom
    6. Select the first unallocated partition and click next. Windows will create all needed partitions to install Windows 10
    7. Follow all the rest of the instruction to complete.

MBR installation:
    1. 500MB System Reserved partition
    2. C: Drive
    GPT installation:
    1. 450MB recovery partition
    2. 100MB EFI System Partition
    3. 16MB MSR partition
    4. C drive.
    [/QUOTE]

A Monell, Feb 4, 2021
  4. Suddenly booting up on drive selection menu

No startup boot menu

Hello Kimoefat,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

As an initial recommendation, I would suggest you to access the System configuration utility and check if the Operating System installation path for Ubuntu exists. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Type msconfig in the search bar and select System Configuration from the search results.
    • Select the boot tab in the System configuration console to check if the installation path for Ubuntu exists.
    If it exists, next logical step is to check if the boot menu time out has been set to 0, which results in Boot menu not showing up.

The boot menu time-out determines how long the boot menu is displayed before the default boot entry is loaded. It is calibrated in seconds. To change the boot menu time-out, use the Bootcfg
    /timeout switch. Valid values are from 0 through 999. You cannot use Bootcfg to set an indefinite time-out.

You can run the following Run command line to set the boot menu time-out accordingly. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt

• Type in the following command: bootcfg /timeout 10

timeout 10
      will set the time frame to 10 seconds
    However, if the Boot path for Ubuntu does not exist in the boot menu of System Configuration utility, I would suggest you to check if the Ubuntu is overridden by the Windows installation or if the Ubuntu installation files are corrupted.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Feb 4, 2021
Thema:

Suddenly booting up on drive selection menu

1. Suddenly booting up on drive selection menu - Similar Threads - Suddenly booting drive

2. Boot menu shows up when I select "Restart"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot menu shows up when I select "Restart": Whenever I select "Restart" on my HP laptop, a boot menu comes up that asks me whether I want to shut down Windows 10. There are some other options that show up too, like a Safe Mode option. What should I do to get the computer to restart normally?...
  3. Boot menu shows up when I select "Restart"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot menu shows up when I select "Restart": Whenever I select "Restart" on my HP laptop, a boot menu comes up that asks me whether I want to shut down Windows 10. There are some other options that show up too, like a Safe Mode option. What should I do to get the computer to restart normally?...
  4. Boot menu shows up when I select "Restart"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. flash drive not showing up on boot menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    flash drive not showing up on boot menu: My usb 3.1 isn’t showing up on the boot menu, will i need to fix something in the bios or is it a problem with the flash drive? submitted by /u/urmomhomosapien [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lh3rte/flash_drive_not_showing_up_on_boot_menu/
  6. Boot menu selection doesn't load

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot menu selection doesn't load: Before I put my old PC into the closet for storage, I did a clean install of Win10 from a USB which contained the Media Creation info. It went well. Must have set up a password and filled in the security questions that it requested. Upon returning to this PC some 6 months...
  7. Problem with boot up menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with boot up menu: The boot up config as per MSConfig is set to selective, which is I think why I am not seeing the boot option screen, when I change it to normal boot, I get an error screen at the next boot.....I assume something is wrong with the msconfig setup, or boot options, need some...
  8. Hard Drive not showing up on Boot Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Hard Drive not showing up on Boot Menu in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If when you turn on your Windows 10 computer and it fails to boot successfully and you access the BIOS/UEFI and notice that the disk […] This article Hard Drive not showing up on Boot Menu in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Can't Select Boot Menu Options With Fast Start Up Enabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Select Boot Menu Options With Fast Start Up Enabled: I'm working on a PC with Windows 10 Pro v1803 and a Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 motherboard & SSD. The PC is configured to have boot menu options for normal boot, Macrium Reflect Recovery and Safe Mode. All works fine with fast start up disabled. With fast start-up enabled, the boot...
  10. Computer Suddenly Stopped Booting up...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Suddenly Stopped Booting up...: Hi there, Recently, my computer has been very strange... I have been having unwitnessed BSODs (showing up in the reliability monitor), lots of hardware errors in the reliability monitor and multiple programs stopping working. The troubleshooting steps I took to try to...