Windows 10: Suddenly can't connect to Samba home share on Linux NAS server although media share still works

Discus and support Suddenly can't connect to Samba home share on Linux NAS server although media share still works in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have several shared directories on a Samba NAS server mapped on a couple windows 10 server. Yesterday after the latest Windows 10 upgrade I could no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RalphGlebe, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Suddenly can't connect to Samba home share on Linux NAS server although media share still works

I have several shared directories on a Samba NAS server mapped on a couple windows 10 server. Yesterday after the latest Windows 10 upgrade I could no longer access my personal home share. I received a popup requesting my credentials password prompt. I entered the password and received the following message \\nas\userid is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

There is an additional message about Multiple connections to a server using more than one user name is not allowed. This share has been working for years on various Windows version including Windows 10. I am still able to access multiple public shares on the same server without any requests for credential.

The version of Win 10 is 2004 Build 19041.388.

I have a second windows 10 system that is version 1903 and I have no problem connecting to the \\nas\userid on that system and am not prompted for my credentials.

:)

RalphGlebe, Aug 14, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Linux Samba settings to display Windows shares

Hi folks

Samba needs a different setting to display Windows or any of the SAMBA shares - especially if its version of Linux / NAS server needs / uses SMB1

You still need to set the SMB1 option in Add features to windows of course.

also in the samba config file ensure this line is in the global section

[global]
    max protocol = NT1 <===+++++++++++++++++

(Not client max protocol !!)

what this actually does (apart from working !!! ) I have no idea but it fixed 4 Linux machines which suddenly stopped listing Samba shares under network. I saw the suggestion on some weird website - have no idea of the link though - must have been imbibing some of those nice malted fluids kari likes. !!!

Works also with ubuntu guests as well as Hosts and Centos guests and hosts. haven't messed around with other Linux distros as I don't really use them.

Suddenly can't connect to Samba home share on Linux NAS server although media share still works [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 14, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s)

Hi folks

If you are messing around with say Linux / NAS servers on VMs or even a mix of real / virtual sometimes you want to connect one NAS share to another NAS server without messing around with config files etc. This daisy chains shares across entire networks including Windows machines.

For windows it's easy enough --file explorer to search network drives and connect -

For Linux you can issue a mount -t cifs command to mount the remote share -- don't use the -t smbfs any more it's obsolete if it even works at all.

The bonkers thing about this is if the mount point is defined as a samba share on server 2 then the HDD from server 1 can be accessed by any system having access to server 2 even if they don't have access to server 1 i.e "Daisy chaining" samba shares. !!!!!

This saves moving external HDD's around for example when testing servers etc. You'll get network speed of course but with a decent network should all be fine.

so

1) get IP address of remote server

2) issue mount command like the screen shot

3) enter password for the remote share at the prompt (shown in white here).

Seasoned linux users won't have a problem but I know a lot of people on this board are experimenting with NAS type servers etc and this type of command isn't always easy to find in the documentation.

Suddenly can't connect to Samba home share on Linux NAS server although media share still works [​IMG]

Now on Windows you see my samba share HDD1 on server 2 is actually the content from SERVER 1 which doesn't have access (or vice versa) to the windows machine

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 14, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Suddenly can't connect to Samba home share on Linux NAS server although media share still works

Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients

Hi folks
    there's a lot of confusion about how to set SAMBA up if you have any sort of Linux type system in the mix whether host , running as a NAS or in VM and Windows 10 mix.

the best way is to do the following

1) Enable SMB1 on W10 -- while it might not be recommended it's perfectly safe for a home LAN
    2) disable the feature to remove SMB1 if not needed
    3) in the SAMBA configuration file in the [global] section add the following to the file (usually in etc/samba directory) :
    a) max protocol = NT1
    b) name resolve order = bcast host "don't bother with wins or any of that other stuff
    c) netbios name = REFUR "or whatever your computer name is
    d) case sensitive = no "that gets round computer names / workgroup or WORKGROUP etc etc
    e) local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    os level = 25
    dns proxy = no
    auto services = global
    interfaces = lo enp2s0f0 "(or whatever your LAN interface is -- use ifconfig to check --keep the lo one in as well
    bind interfaces only = yes
    server role = standalone server

Forget all the domain stuff - not needed for home type servers etc --you aren't running commercial VPN's or cloud applications for paying users !!!.

Restart the server (better) or simply stop and start services nmb(d) and smb(d) on the NAS. Check you haven't made a typo in the Samba file by typing command testparm on the NAS / Linux machine.

Now you should be in business

check on the NAS / Linux machine as root or sudo with command :
    service nmb(d) status -l some distros have nmbd others have nmb. If the service command doesn't work or not available then use systemctl status nmb(d)

cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 14, 2020
Thema:

Suddenly can't connect to Samba home share on Linux NAS server although media share still works

1. Suddenly can't connect to Samba home share on Linux NAS server although media share still works - Similar Threads - Suddenly can't connect

2. Windows 11 can't connect to Ubuntu samba shares

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 can't connect to Ubuntu samba shares: I have problem to connect from Windows 11 to my sambashares on Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS but to my sambashare on Linux raspberrypi 6.1.21-v8+ the connection works. When I tested with Windows 10 I was able to connect both Ubuntu's and RaspberryPi's samba shares without problems....
  3. Re-Connecting to samba share fails Files stay offline although samba server is running

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-Connecting to samba share fails Files stay offline although samba server is running: Hi there! I am facing an issue with samba shares. In short: Although samba server is up, the shares do not re-connect and stay offline. My setup Samba server on ubuntu Win10 20H2 Client Working Scenarios Starting up samba server Starting up my win10 client, logging...
  4. Connecting to a Samba Share

Connecting to a Samba Share: I am trying to connect to a samba share. There are two users on the machine. user1 was able to access the share drive and map the share on the machine. user2 was able to access the folders. the next day user1 could not access the drives that were mapped nor could they...
  5. BUG Samba 4.11 so wont see shares NAS / LINUX users

BUG Samba 4.11 so wont see shares NAS / LINUX users: Hi folks There's a / several bug(s) reported (and I can concur) with current release of Samba (4.11.x) This will also affect Windows users if they want to access NAS or Linux servers using SAMBA where SAMBA has been upgraded to Version 4.11.x. where x is 1,2,3 etc. Version...
  6. Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients: Hi folks there's a lot of confusion about how to set SAMBA up if you have any sort of Linux type system in the mix whether host , running as a NAS or in VM and Windows 10 mix. the best way is to do the following 1) Enable SMB1 on W10 -- while it might not be recommended...
  7. XP to NAS / SAMBA shares

XP to NAS / SAMBA shares: Hi folks If you have XP VM's and you want to access SAMBA type shares then you'll need to add these 2 lines in the global section of the samba.conf file. (Note on the NAS / SAMBA server file. There's nothing extra to do on the XP system. (The NAS can usually by default...
  8. Linux Samba settings to display Windows shares

Linux Samba settings to display Windows shares: Hi folks Samba needs a different setting to display Windows or any of the SAMBA shares - especially if its version of Linux / NAS server needs / uses SMB1 You still need to set the SMB1 option in Add features to windows of course. also in the samba config file ensure this...
  9. Samba share doesn't work

Samba share doesn't work: Hi, I have Vbox with Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS installed on it. My host is Win 10 (Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240). I've tried to get my samba share working for the whole day. I asked in #Windows, #ubuntu, #samba, #php, everywhere. I've googled and googled and googled.......
  10. Writes to Linux Samba Shares are exceedingly slow

Writes to Linux Samba Shares are exceedingly slow: I have a Linux server with file shares on my local network. My problem is with writing data to those shares from my Windows 10 Home PC. The problem manifests with data writes that are exceedingly slow (not greater than 300 kB/sec) and generally time out before they complete....