Windows 10: Suddenly can't share folders on my LAN from Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Suddenly can't share folders on my LAN from Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Let me make this clear. I was able to share folders on my LAN without the least problems until just recently. I made no changes. Microsoft did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by silvanet, Jan 15, 2021.

1. silvanet Win User

Suddenly can't share folders on my LAN from Windows 10 Pro

Let me make this clear. I was able to share folders on my LAN without the least problems until just recently. I made no changes. Microsoft did something and as usual they don't inform us. I went to their community forums and as always any relevant sounding thread is locked, even the most recent one from just updated today!

It is so frustrating being told the obvious steps for sharing that I already did and had working perfectly. WTF?

OK, I went to the file explorer, found my folder that was shared until yesterday. I tried to edit a text file (my access had read/write permissions and I am an Administrator). I had been able to save edited files until today in that folder. Now, suddenly I get a message saying that my file is locked!

I generally used this to be able to edit code while learning courses online. I have the folders in a development environment where I can easily shuffle relevant lecture source files during advancing lectures without having to do complete reinstallations for each lecture as a project progresses. I just did what I always did before. I began with a copy of the lecture transcript (many of which are hilariously bad), and then edited it while watching the lecture to make it clearer and understandable. I then save the edited file which in this case happens to be on my main Desktop PC running Windows 10.

As I always did before, I was using my Mac on the LAN to access the PC folder with the development environment, ran a script command to fire up a live server rendering the coded app on my browser in the Mac. I do that through the integrated terminal in Visual Code. I am apparently still able to edit code that is on the PC in that main shared (and all subfolders).

Windows is just blocking me from being able to save an edited text notes file, again, telling me the file is locked and the folder can't be shared.

Does someone know what is going on there? The MS Community forums were not helpful at all. Please give me an idea what caused this sudden change and how I can revert to a working Windows 10 Pro operating system with working local area network file sharing.

I'm not sharing across the Internet. Nobody has access to my LAN but me. I am the only user and an Administrator with full privileges where I need them. My next try here is going to have to be to log in on the actual Administrator account and see if I can get my sharing back. What a pain!

Oh yes, Windows 10, Pro, 10.0.18363

After reading about latest Windows update disaster and security vulnerability that says can instantly corrupt entire file system, I temporarily turned off automatic update, so I'm sure something is sitting there pending.

:)

silvanet, Jan 15, 2021

2. How to stop sharing folder for windows 10?

Referring to following link, I would like to know on how to stop sharing folder for windows 10.

I cannot find Stop Sharing option on step 5.

Use these steps to stop sharing any folder on Windows 10:

1. Open Start.
    2. Search for Computer Management and click the top result to open the experience.
    3. Expand the Shared Folders branch from the left pane.
    4. Click the Shares item.
    5. Right-click the folder that you no longer want to share and the Stop Sharing option.
    Furthermore, ADMIN$ is found to be Remote Admin under computer management.

There is no option to stop it as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop sharing and remote?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

How to stop sharing network folder on Windows 10 • Pureinfotech

PublicMicro, Jan 15, 2021
  3. Ferdz Amp Win User
    Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, Jan 15, 2021
  4. GFR
    gfr Win User

Share Files and Folders Over a Network with Win10Home & Pro & Win7Pro

@Brink,

I followed Option 1 with the following exceptions:
    • Windows 7 Pro: SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, Automatic Removal, Client and Server and SMB Direct are not options.
    • Windows 10 Home: SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, Automatic Removal, Client and Server are checked and SMB Direct is not an option.
    • Note: Windows 10 Pro: SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, Automatic Removal, Client and Server and SMB Direct are checked.
    Clearly the problem is sharing with Windows 10 Pro...

Sharing with Windows 10 Pro
    • Windows 10 Pro can reach files and folders on Windows 7 Pro
    • Windows 10 Pro cannot reach files and folders on Windows 10 Home; Message: Windows cannot access...
    • Windows 10 Home cannot reach files and folders on Windows 10 Pro; Message: Enter your credentials
    • Windows 7 Pro cannot reach files and folders on Windows 10 Pro; Message: Enter your password
    Sharing Between Windows 10 Home and Windows 7 Pro
    • Windows 10 Home can reach files and folders on Windows 7 Pro
    • Windows 7 Pro can reach files and folders on Windows 10 Home
    Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I followed Option 2 without exceptions and received the same results as above.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I with much help, I solve my networking problem!

The first step was to follow Option 1 and Option 2 from the first post of this thread/tutorial.

The second step was to create a new password-protected local (user) account with administrator privileges and without using an email or phone number when creating the new user account on the Windows 10 Pro machine.

The third step was to create a new password-protected user account with administrator privileges on the Windows 7 Pro machine with the exact same username and password as the new local account on the Windows 10 Pro machine.

When I attempted to share/access a file on the Windows 10 Pro machine from the Windows 7 Pro machine, I simply entered the new username and password from above when asked for my network credentials and puff, it worked.

A similar process was followed for networking the Windows 10 Pro and Home machines.

Thema:

1. Suddenly can't share folders on my LAN from Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Suddenly can't share

2. File sharing on LAN suddenly stopped

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File sharing on LAN suddenly stopped: My two desktops on the same LAN, connected to the same router, suddenly stopped being able to share files. It was working just a few days ago. Let's day, the desktops are "A" and "B", and the router name is "R" Both pc sees two media devices, Computer "A" and Router "R",...
  3. Sharing a folder on home private LAN

Sharing a folder on home private LAN: On my private LAN I want to share documents on system A with system B. System A's File Explorer shows that the Network folder displays both systems listed first is system B - as DESKTOP-FLKD0I5, then system A as DESKTOP-NG6EJEC. That's all. In system A's File Explorer I...
  4. Windows 10 1909 - Suddenly can't access network folder - Your folder can't be shared

Windows 10 1909 - Suddenly can't access network folder - Your folder can't be shared: So we have a computer we use for storage, that all the computers in the office network about 4-5 connect to to access work files. Suddenly this week we get this message on all computers when we try to access the folder.. [ATTACH] On the storage computer it's set to...
  5. I lost my ability to share folders on my LAN?

I lost my ability to share folders on my LAN?: Okay, this is odd. I'll leave this here, for future reference. I've been working on this with three computers for ~ 1 hour. After posting this, my network suddenly shows all the computers and all their shared folders. The mystery continues, but now it all works. Shrug....
  6. Windows 10 Pro LAN shares not updating contents

Windows 10 Pro LAN shares not updating contents: For whatever reason, if I drop something new in a shared directory it does not show up unless I go to the share/properties/share and hit "share" again. This was never an issue in Windows 7. What is up? TIA!...
  7. No shared folder are accessible from lan or my computer

No shared folder are accessible from lan or my computer: I change my motherboard with windows 10 (1809) and all seem ok, but i find that all my share folder are inaccessible from others computer on my lan and also by me... i read a lot of web pages but not solution found. I problem is show: "The device or resource (xxx) is not...
  8. can't connect to shared folders on network using windows 10 pro

can't connect to shared folders on network using windows 10 pro: I can't connect to shared folders on network using windows 10 pro. I can see the network computers and ping the computers but can't connect to them using windows 10. All the other PC's can connect to me but I can't connect to them. This worked fine until recently. I have...
  9. Why can't I share files on my LAN?

Why can't I share files on my LAN?: I have 2 laptops running Windows 10 and a PC running Windows XP on my LAN. I am an administrator and the "owner" of all the files on each machine and, as far as I can tell, all files are shared with "full control". I originally had a workgroup on the Windows XP machine and a...
  10. Windows 10 pro can't access shared folder on home network

Windows 10 pro can't access shared folder on home network: Dear folk I have my work laptop windows 10 that joined a work domain (not workgroup) and I have my home desktop windows 7 that on workgroup. My user domain been assigned to administrator group When I am at home and from my work laptop I used to access a shared...