Windows 10: Suddenly I am not allowed to change folder permissions

Discus and support Suddenly I am not allowed to change folder permissions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I tried to download a file using Firefox and was told I did not have permission to save it. I went to the folder to change permissions, and I am not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by pjcamp, Jun 3, 2020.

1. pjcamp Win User

Suddenly I am not allowed to change folder permissions

I tried to download a file using Firefox and was told I did not have permission to save it. I went to the folder to change permissions, and I am not able to do that -- everything grayed out. I am using an administrator account. I rebooted and tried running explorer as an administrator. Can't change a damn thing.

I did nothing to cause this to happen. I turned on the computer, held my online class using Teams, and then tried to save a file. Same thing I do everyday. How does an administrator still be classified as an administrator and yet lose all administrator privileges?

:)

pjcamp, Jun 3, 2020

2. Folder and File default permissions

Hi Hilton,

When you changed folder permissions, all of its contents will also be affected. If you want to change permission on certain sub-folders, it is recommended to separate it up to one level and change only specific file or folder permissions which are
    applicable to you.

To allow opening or modifying files, follow the steps below:

• Right-click a folder or file, then click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Click Edit…
    • Tick Allow or Deny, to manage permissions for your folder.
    • Click OK to finish.

Suddenly I am not allowed to change folder permissions 7e509f86-c947-4d23-9d23-817128c849f5?upload=true.png

Let us know if this resolve your concerns.

Johann Eva, Jun 3, 2020
  3. Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jun 3, 2020
  4. tom acito Win User

how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

this is for a file... how for a folder and ALL subfolders and files

thanks.

tom acito, Jun 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Suddenly I am not allowed to change folder permissions - Similar Threads - Suddenly allowed change

2. Why am I unable to change the permissions on the scans folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why am I unable to change the permissions on the scans folder?: So I got a notification from windows defender for a threat named "PUA:Win32/Presenoker". I searched on youtube on how to remove it and as I was following the tutorial, they accessed a folder called "Scans" and I tried opening said folder but to my surprise I was unable to...
  3. Why am I unable to change the permissions on the scans folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I unable to change the permissions on the scans folder?: So I got a notification from windows defender for a threat named "PUA:Win32/Presenoker". I searched on youtube on how to remove it and as I was following the tutorial, they accessed a folder called "Scans" and I tried opening said folder but to my surprise I was unable to...
  4. Why am I unable to change the permissions on the scans folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I suddenly do not have permissions to a particular folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I suddenly do not have permissions to a particular folder: I suddenly do not have permissions to a particular folder! I created a video project and saved all the files and the project file to a particular folder but now when I try to open the project file which I had been earlier successfully able to open I get the following...
  6. I suddenly do not have permissions to a particular folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I suddenly do not have permissions to a particular folder: I suddenly do not have permissions to a particular folder! I created a video project and saved all the files and the project file to a particular folder but now when I try to open the project file which I had been earlier successfully able to open I get the following...
  7. Why am I not allowed to change the folder icons on most of my computer?

Why am I not allowed to change the folder icons on most of my computer?: For example in Program Files x86 I can only change the icons on the ones I created I think not positive. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  8. Changing folder permissions

Changing folder permissions: Hi, I have run into a problem when trying to run a neural network on jupyter notebook. This network ran on a mac previously but I have moved it to windows because I would like to use a GPU to allow for more efficiency. The problem involves it accessing the folders containing...
  9. Windows does not allow changes in file or folder permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows does not allow changes in file or folder permissions: I am trying to get control of a large number of picture files in a number of folders. I have tried to set permissions, but no matter what I do, the os will not allow me to set the new permissions or get control of the folders. I can add myself to the list of owners, but...
  10. Permissions Issue - Not allowed to delete folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions Issue - Not allowed to delete folder: Hi, I have a folder that I don't have permission to delete. I am using Windows 10. It seems to be owned by Laptop/path (the laptop's local account) [img] A while ago, Windows10 prompted me to change my username and sign in using a windows account....