Windows 10: Suddenly I cannot open any of my pictures! It asks which app I want to use to open them!

Discus and support Suddenly I cannot open any of my pictures! It asks which app I want to use to open them! in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I tried to open some of my pictures in My pictures and NONE of them will open! It asks which app I should use. **** is this??!!! I don't use apps!... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Phi.l, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Phi.l Win User

Suddenly I cannot open any of my pictures! It asks which app I want to use to open them!

I tried to open some of my pictures in My pictures and NONE of them will open! It asks which app I should use. **** is this??!!! I don't use apps!

:)

Phi.l, Oct 22, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Can't open pictures

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are getting error when trying to open Pictures on your computer. I'll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• May I know the default application that is set to open pictures?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer?

It could be possible that the application set to open pictures is not working properly. If Photos app is set as the default application to open
    pictures, I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article

Fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 22, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Suddenly I cannot open any of my pictures! It asks which app I want to use to open them! :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Oct 22, 2021
  4. mngerhold Win User

Suddenly I cannot open any of my pictures! It asks which app I want to use to open them!

Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Well, I hope this helps the OP - it took a while. I tried 'Default Program Editor' (DPE) and it did indeed add (or remove) items, but when I tried to specifically add Word to pdf opening, it failed - it went through the motions, but nothing happened. So I started again, playing with settings for opening .doc files. This seemed to work: initially in explorer I had 3 programs appear in the 'default' list that pops up on a rt-click>open-with:

Suddenly I cannot open any of my pictures! It asks which app I want to use to open them! [​IMG]

and this is what the relevant bit of the Registry showed:

Suddenly I cannot open any of my pictures! It asks which app I want to use to open them! [​IMG]

Don't ask me why just 3 of those 8 (a to h) programs show up (maybe the 'instant' list is limited to three? - no, see later) - anyway, I used DPE to remove Wordpad from the list: when saving the edit as a REG file, this is what I got:

Code:
    and the result in Explorer was:

and the registry now shows:

Note how item 'g' from the list has been removed (it seems there is no issue with having a letter missing). I then messed about trying to open a .doc file with various other programs, and they all started to appear in the 'instant' list:

So I thought 'well, that is easy - just open a pdf once in Word and it should appear'. So back to trying to open PDFs: but however many times I tried, Word would never appear.

even though there were any number of entries in the Registry 'Open With' list, including Word:

So what did DPE make of this - well, it showed some of the entries:

Although Word is shown, it doesn't appear on a rt-click. Its entry can be removed, but that doesn't help. So my attention was drawn to the existence of another folder below 'OpenWithList', namely 'OpenWithProgids', and that contained a specific ref to Sumatra (my preferred program for PDFs). Looking back at the same entry for .docx, I found this:

so I added an identical Word.Document.12 ref to the list for PDFs:

I think IrfanView is there as it got added during my experiments! I now get this in Explorer:

Hurrah! I then tried to use DPE to remove the redundant entries, and got this as a .REG file:
    Code:
    But when i merge that with the registry, the IrfanView item does not get deleted:

and as seen in the registry:

so I deleted it by hand, and at last have the entries I (or rather, the OP) want:

Note that my manually added reg entry is of type Binary', as there seems to be no way to add a value of type 'None'.

So it seems that DPE cannot cope with entries in the 'Progids' list, and something makes some programs fall into that list, rather than the 'openwithlist'. I am sorry for any typos above, or pictures in the wrong place - can't be bothered to check it too thoroughly. Hope it helps someone!

atb, Martin

mngerhold, Oct 22, 2021
Thema:

1. Suddenly I cannot open any of my pictures! It asks which app I want to use to open them! - Similar Threads - Suddenly cannot open

2. I cannot open any app once I am on my setting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot open any app once I am on my setting: Hello,I can open my setting app but once i am on it, I can open anything and it get stall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-open-any-app-once-i-am-on-my-setting/d7d15c3b-16b9-49bd-a2b0-a521567ffec1
  3. Windows 11 suddenly opens all photos in "Paintbrush Picture" which I do not want.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 suddenly opens all photos in "Paintbrush Picture" which I do not want.: I attempted to change the default app for photos which was explained in earlier 1918, etc. posts. However the solution seems to be different in Windows 11. Even older photos now show in File Explorer as Paintbrush. Another note is that I use Google Photo but it has worked...
  4. Windows 11 suddenly opens all photos in "Paintbrush Picture" which I do not want.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 suddenly opens all photos in "Paintbrush Picture" which I do not want.: I attempted to change the default app for photos which was explained in earlier 1918, etc. posts. However the solution seems to be different in Windows 11. Even older photos now show in File Explorer as Paintbrush. Another note is that I use Google Photo but it has worked...
  5. Brown box icons on files and I cannot open any of them!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Brown box icons on files and I cannot open any of them!: Hi, Can someone please explain why most of my files have this brown box icon image below on them and therefore won't allow me to open the file? I get an error message in excel and word image below and adobe PDFs just don't do anything at all. Ever since I updated to Windows...
  6. Brown box icons on files and I cannot open any of them!

Brown box icons on files and I cannot open any of them!: Hi, Can someone please explain why most of my files have this brown box icon image below on them and therefore won't allow me to open the file? I get an error message in excel and word image below and adobe PDFs just don't do anything at all. Ever since I updated to Windows...
  7. Suddenly I cannot open any of my pictures! It asks which app I want to use to open them!

Suddenly I cannot open any of my pictures! It asks which app I want to use to open them!: I tried to open some of my pictures in My pictures and NONE of them will open! It asks which app I should use. **** is this??!!! I don't use apps!...
  8. i cannot open the default photos app of my laptop when i click on any picture (the app...

i cannot open the default photos app of my laptop when i click on any picture (the app...: on my pc the default app of photos is not working It isn't opening when I click on any picture it doesn't open and there is text appeared in which the app didn't start is written please help me how to solve this problem....
  9. I can't see picture unless I open them

I can't see picture unless I open them: First of all, I don't know if this is the right forum for this question. If it's not, please free to remove it. I know this subject title sounds not a serious problem. It started 2 days ago. I don't remember the exact time. I tried to google, but I don't know how to...
  10. When I open a link in email I get asked which browser I want to use

in Browsers and Email
    When I open a link in email I get asked which browser I want to use: Whenever I open a link in email I get asked which browser I want to use. I have selected Explorer as my default browser and I keep checking the box that says "always use this app" It is very frustrating. How do I make Windows 10 understand that I always want to use IE. 33493