Windows 10: suddenly my headphones went dead. speaker works fine.

Discus and support suddenly my headphones went dead. speaker works fine. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Suddenly my headphones went dead. speaker works fine.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CyrusGallagher1, May 24, 2020.

1. suddenly my headphones went dead. speaker works fine.

Suddenly my headphones went dead. speaker works fine.

:)

CyrusGallagher1, May 24, 2020

2. Laptop speakers suddenly not working, but headphones work fine.

I'm really baffled here as to what's going on with my laptop audio. It was working just a few days ago from what I remember and now tonight when I was playing a game in Steam the audio just wasn't working. Checked audio settings in the game, all was good. Turned the game off and started testing using YouTube, still nothing. The volume is definitely up and I found that headphones work fine. When I open the 'Playback devices' dialogue from right clicking the speaker in the task bar it shows the green equalizer bar moving up and down if something is playing, but there's no audio. I've checked for any conflicting devices in here and ensured everything was enabled as per usual.

So far I've updated the drivers, uninstalled the drivers completely and reinstalled them (automatically after restarting laptop), and have checked for updates on my computer (all up to date). My device manger does have 2 drivers listed which I thought was weird, but maybe it has always been like this? I'm not sure honestly. I uninstalled both and they both came back after restarting. See the image here:

suddenly my headphones went dead. speaker works fine. [​IMG]

Is there anything else to try? I thought uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them would fix it, but nope.

System details: Windows 10, Acer Aspire laptop (~7 months old? No issues thus far). Let me know if I need to provide any more details! Very frustrated and need to get to bed now because of work in the morning, but I will be sure to check back and try any suggestions and answer any questions.

simpsons403, May 24, 2020
  3. Ivy Mun Win User
    Speakers and headphones work at the same time

Hi.

Let us isolate your concern by answering these few questions.

• Have you tried connecting your headphones directly to your desktop?
    • Does your speaker work normally when connected to your desktop?
    You may try the following steps to help resolve your concern:

• Unplug or Disconnect your speaker from the desktop.
    • Connect your headphone directly to the desktop.
    If the headphone works properly when directly connected to the desktop, we suggest that you contact your speaker manufacturer for assistance.

Let us know how it goes.

Ivy Mun, May 24, 2020
  4. TedB Win User

suddenly my headphones went dead. speaker works fine.

Laptop speakers suddenly not working, but headphones work fine.

I hope you have fixed the problem by now Simpson403. In case anyone else has the same issue, the answer is often much simpler than people think - so try this first:- we often turn off our computer, then remove the headphones and put things away.
    Problem is that the device doesn't know that you unplugged your headphones, because it was off at the time. The source is selected by software, not hardware, so when you next switch on, the sound is still being directed to the headphone jack as you left it when you shut down.
    Easy solution - when the device is turned on, plug your headphone cord back in then remove it! Sound should then be switched back to the speakers. ( I have read where people say to use a toothpick, or cotton-bud, thinking that they are fixing a "stuck" detector. No need to risk damaging the jack, just use the headphone plug to trigger the software to switch back to speakers.)
    Try it, it may save a lot of unnecessary steps in a more complex solution.

Thema:

suddenly my headphones went dead. speaker works fine.

1. suddenly my headphones went dead. speaker works fine. - Similar Threads - suddenly headphones went

2. Bluetooth sound is fine but speakers and headphone JAC not working and no sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth sound is fine but speakers and headphone JAC not working and no sound: As per title, I have been trying to resolve this for several days but to no avail.I've tried many things to resolve including, checking updating/rollback drivers, download driver pack and install from Microsoft I have surface laptop 3. I've restored previous version of...
  3. My headphone speakers won't work.

in Windows 10 Customization
    My headphone speakers won't work.: I plugged in my headphones and it asked what type of device I plugged in and out of curiosity I selected plug in mic. Now my headphones don't work. I tried unplugging and plugging it back in again which normally makes it ask but it didn't. I can't find my headphones in device...
  4. Audio is suddenly extremely low and sounds funky on speakers, headphones are fine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio is suddenly extremely low and sounds funky on speakers, headphones are fine: I ordered this HP Envy 360 from Hp.com more than a month ago. It finally came in and I've used it a handful of times so far. Suddenly today the Audio went all funky. The volume is incredibly low even on the highest bar, and it sounds distorted. Messing with the bang and...
  5. Headphones working but speakers are not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Headphones working but speakers are not working.: So as of this morning I have a new problem. My headphones work just fine, but my speakers aren't working at all. Everything I've checked says that it's working properly, but no sound from the speakers. They were working last night when I put the computer to sleep. I...
  6. Bluetooth speaker audio chopping but fine with headphones

Bluetooth speaker audio chopping but fine with headphones: Hello, I have a weird issue with my JBL Flip 5: when playing music or streaming, the audio sometimes jumps or is choppy. The thing is that only happen with the speaker, the bluetooth headphones also JBL work fine. The same thing happen with my 2 Mac MacBookPro 2014 and...
  7. Acer Aspire 3 A315 Speakers are fine and sound good but headphones are not working

Acer Aspire 3 A315 Speakers are fine and sound good but headphones are not working: I am not using Bluetooth headphones. Do I need Bluetooth headphones for this laptop? How do I get these regular headphones to work with this laptop?...
  8. my headphones are charge , they were working fine , suddenly the light of bluetooth...

my headphones are charge , they were working fine , suddenly the light of bluetooth...: help plis https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-headphones-are-charge-they-were-working-fine/cee1a87e-161e-4988-9d13-1daa9aea0f32
  9. Monitor was working fine then went blank

Monitor was working fine then went blank: Monitor will turns off after short period and will not come back on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-was-working-fine-then-went-blank/67de0558-ef7a-449f-a893-8fb5b2151c17
  10. Laptop speakers suddenly not working, but headphones work fine.

Laptop speakers suddenly not working, but headphones work fine.: I'm really baffled here as to what's going on with my laptop audio. It was working just a few days ago from what I remember and now tonight when I was playing a game in Steam the audio just wasn't working. Checked audio settings in the game, all was good. Turned the game off...