Windows 10: Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer....

Discus and support Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer.... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; It shows under Device Manager but not under File Explorer.Disk Management shows that It is not initialized. If I initialize, will it lose all my data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Tiru Srinivasan, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer....

It shows under Device Manager but not under File Explorer.Disk Management shows that It is not initialized. If I initialize, will it lose all my data in my passportThanks for your help

:)

Tiru Srinivasan, Jan 24, 2023
  2. PaulJones Win User

WD My Passport Ultra External Drive (Files Gone)

Hi there.

I am new to this forum and I am glad to have found it.

I was trying to move a file from my desktop to my WD My Passport Ultra and had to use my Internet security to shred a file once or twice from the external drive. To my surprise, the external drive suddenly stopped showing my files and now when I try to access the files, the drive either doesn't appear on my computer or it begins as normal, but the files just don't load (see image below).

I have about 530GB of data on it and really want to get it back. I do have about 99.5% of my files backed up in the cloud, but the download process would be very cumbersome. Is there any way I can get my files back on my external drive without spending a fortune?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Best,

Paul.

Image didn't upload. Here it is again.

PaulJones, Jan 24, 2023
  3. file deletion on USB Passport drive

I have not been able to delete a file on a USB Passport drive. The file is an Acronis .tib file and is 1.6TB in size. When I delete it is appears to be gone and I get no errors but when I change to another drive and back to the Passport drive the file
    is still there. I have tried to delete it in Explorer and also in a command prompt window I have tried using Del and Erase to get rid of the file but I get no errors there either but when I delete it and then do a Dir on the drive the file is still there.
    Any suggestions?

RobertWalker1, Jan 24, 2023
  4. evitane Win User

Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer....

I need File Explorer to show "My Passport", the original name of my 2T external drive.

07/04/19 10:40 PM

Hello James Young9,

Thanks, for the prompt reply. I am going to try your suggestions, and will return with the outcome.

BTW1: I forgot to stress a couple of strange facts:
    The name changed from “My Passport” to “EMTEC,” seems to be evident only in “File Explorer.”
    It is not ignored on “Device Properties”, “Devices and Printers “ etc .

BTW2: Since File Explorer has kept the icons showing the design
    of the "EMTEC" usb, I decided to delete them from the list of files transferred to "My Passport.
    As I had anticipated, after the deletion, that drive became irresponsive. Not one file visible!.

In panic, I tried the Troubleshooting option a couple of times!
    It did recognize the device as “My Passport”, and found nothing wrong with the PC
    Apparently the File Folder is not “affiliated” with this Window” Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer.... :)

When I proceeded to restore the EMTEC iconic items in order to access and transfer back my files from “My Passport” to the PC , to my other external back-up drive, and to some of the USBs, I realized
    that the “Recycle Bin” was empty, despite the fact that I had set it up months ago last year to not empty automatically. Evem more strange, the next time when I tried to find it, the Bin was invisible.
    I eventually got it back with the help of some web posts.

Thanks again, for the reply. Now I am going to try your suggestions!

Be blessed!

evitane, Jan 24, 2023
Thema:

Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer....

1. Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer.... - Similar Threads - Suddenly passport drive

2. My D: drive is allocated, but does not show up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My D: drive is allocated, but does not show up in file explorer: I downgraded from Windows 11 to Windows 10. I noticed my D: drive was missing. It says it is allocated, but it is not a drive and it will not let me add a volume it is all greyed out. This is very frustrating as I have tried everything....
  3. Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer....: It shows under Device Manager but not under File Explorer.Disk Management shows that It is not initialized. If I initialize, will it lose all my data in my passportThanks for your help...
  4. Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Suddenly my passport drive that has my backup files does not show under file explorer....: It shows under Device Manager but not under File Explorer.Disk Management shows that It is not initialized. If I initialize, will it lose all my data in my passportThanks for your help...
  5. Drive d is not showing in my file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive d is not showing in my file explorer: Today when I opened my pc.. It was taking so much time to start! I waited for an hour...but nothing happened I tried force shutdown and then tried to restarted it.. It start somehow.. But i found in my file explorer d drive was missing.. And when I checked disk management...
  6. Drive d is not showing in my file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive d is not showing in my file explorer: Today when I opened my pc.. It was taking so much time to start! I waited for an hour...but nothing happened I tried force shutdown and then tried to restarted it.. It start somehow.. But i found in my file explorer d drive was missing.. And when I checked disk management...
  7. Drive d is not showing in my file explorer

8. wd my passport not showing up in file explorer.

wd my passport not showing up in file explorer.: So I know the drive isnt faulty, its just user error on the software side. What happened was I was using an ISO burning tool to burn password recovery software FOR FUTURE USE, MY PASSWORDS ARE FINE to an external flash drive. What i didnt know was that i was stupid and did...
  9. I need File Explorer to show "My Passport", the original name of my 2T external drive.

I need File Explorer to show "My Passport", the original name of my 2T external drive.: 07/04/19 6:55 PM Hello: Would someone help me with this strange issue? On Saturday 6/29/19, I went to the local library for some paperwork. But instead, I decided to download files from my multiple USBs into "My Passport", a 2T external drive. It was quasi empty...
  10. File explorer does not include all my hard drives under 'This PC'

File explorer does not include all my hard drives under 'This PC': File explorer only displays my C and D (DVD) drives when launched. I have two other hard drives with two partitions each which do not get displayed under 'This PC'. I landed up 'pinning' the drive letters under 'Quick access'. I spent a lot of time hunting for a solution...