Windows 10: Suddenly new Icon for all USB Flash Drives at only one Computer!

Discus and support Suddenly new Icon for all USB Flash Drives at only one Computer! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello together, I have a PC and a laptop. Both are working with Windows Pro Version 1909, which I always keep up-to-date. In Windows Explorer the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by allesgeheim, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Suddenly new Icon for all USB Flash Drives at only one Computer!

Hello together,

I have a PC and a laptop. Both are working with Windows Pro Version 1909, which I always keep up-to-date. In Windows Explorer the icons of my USB Flash Drives were always the same like the icons of the hard drives (or the partitions of them):

Suddenly new Icon for all USB Flash Drives at only one Computer! fzl75l2v.jpg

Since 9th of November something strange happened. Only my laptop got a new icon for USB flash drives. Windows downloaded it automatically and it is saved in the folder "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataCache\dmrccache\en-US\f4e323bf-0f31-42b6-9ad6-5d5382d3fa83\DeviceInformation"
    See file "ico2001.ico" in 2D and 3D:

Suddenly new Icon for all USB Flash Drives at only one Computer! vrgelooa.jpg

I have read, that on this day also other people got this problem and it has something to do with a mistake in the communication of the "Device Setup Manager (DSM)" to his server. I think, if the DSM can't download an icon, Windows will use the default icon for volumes. Also in the registry you can set icons based on the drive letters, but as soon as the DSM finds something different, it will change it.

But my PC didn't get this icon and the folder "dmrccache" is actually empty (there is only a hidden folder "downloads"). Because of optical reasons I prefer a different icon for USB Flash drives. So I already tried to change this circumstance and to adapt the new icon to my PC. But nothing helped. It is resistant against all art so far!

I copied the complete folder "en-US" from the laptop to the PC and the file "dmrc.idx" and all registry entries with the string "f4e323bf-0f31-42b6-9ad6-5d5382d3fa83" (you will only find it with SYSTEM rights and an additional tool like "Registry Finder" in combination with "NSudo" e.g.).

But after every new start of my PC the folder "dmrccache" is empty again and the file "dmrc.idx" in the folder "DeviceMetadataCache" is rewritten. That is also strange, because the file "dmrc.idx" of my laptop has not been changed since the new icon was downloaded by Windows. Does anyone has an idea, why it is like this? And which process updates the file "dmrc.idx" (in this case only of the PC)? Can I control this process or can only Windows do this?

By the way, this icon is also used by the Windows Media Player since a very long time and was always shown on both systems (packed in the file "wmploc.dll"):

Suddenly new Icon for all USB Flash Drives at only one Computer! jgvfjezv.jpg

Can anyone help me that the new icon from the laptop will we integrated on the PC in the same way? Alternatively it would be OK to teach Windows using the same icon from the file "wmploc.dll".

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,

:)

allesgeheim, Dec 4, 2019

2. USB Flash drive made bootable

Hi Nelson,

Check if there is any slide switch on the side that provides write protection. It show's a closed and open lock on each side. We suggest to follow these steps below:

• Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
    • Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox and press Enter.
    • Find Disk Drives and expand it.
    • Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the
      Properties dialog box.
    • Click Policies tab.
    • By default, the Optimize for quick removal option selected, switch it to Optimize for performance and then press
      OK.
    • Now open Computer. Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select Format. The Format dialog box now appears.
    • Select NTFS in the File System field.
    • Press Start and wait while the process will be completed.

You can also connect the USB drive on a different computer and try formatting.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Dec 4, 2019
  3. zbook Win User
    install.wim is 7GB, how to make a bootable USB flash drive

This is a method to make a ntfs flash drive.

The trial and error step will be booting using Legacy BIOS...

Code:
    This is the link:
    Guide: How to Format USB Flash Drive Using Cmd - EaseUS

The link did not use active so that is why it is a trial and error step.

zbook, Dec 4, 2019
  4. Suddenly new Icon for all USB Flash Drives at only one Computer!

Document created in Office 2010 word cannot be copied from USB flash drive to new computer with same software

Hi ximenapacull,

Restriction is one of the possible reasons why you cannot copy Word documents to your new computer. However, for us to fully identify the root cause, I need to gather additional information. Kindly answer the following:

• Is this happening to a specific file?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Have you tried using a different flash drive? If so, did you experience the same issue?
    • What is the current version and build number of your computer? To get the information, kindly follow the steps below:
      • Click on the Start menu.
      • Type winver.
      • Press Enter.

In the meantime, I suggest downloading the USB troubleshooter in this
    link
    and then run it on the computer. Once done, check if you will still encounter the same issue.

Please post back with the result for further assistance.

Charianne Per, Dec 4, 2019
Thema:

Suddenly new Icon for all USB Flash Drives at only one Computer!

1. Suddenly new Icon for all USB Flash Drives at only one Computer! - Similar Threads - Suddenly Icon USB

2. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  3. formatting a new usb flash drive

formatting a new usb flash drive: What is the best way to format a usb device using Windows 10? Plus I have a USB flash drive that Windows won't recognize, how can I fix that problem so I can reformat it and reuse it? Thanks for your help Ken,...
  4. all-in-one USB boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    all-in-one USB boot drive: Hi. I've been in IT support for 15 years and I always hated the amount of different cd/dvd/usb I had to carry with myself, so I was thinking why not to combine them into one drive and have everything on it - 1. windows installations with drivers and programs (UEFI and BIOS )...
  5. Suddenly new Icon for all USB Flash Drives at only one Computer!

Suddenly new Icon for all USB Flash Drives at only one Computer!: Hello together, I have a PC and a laptop. Both are working with Windows Pro Version 1909, which I always keep up-to-date. In Windows Explorer the icons of my USB Flash Drives were always the same like the icons of the hard drives (or the partitions of them): [ATTACH]...
  6. Suddenly new Icon for all USB Flash Drives at only one Computer!

in Windows 10 Support
    Suddenly new Icon for all USB Flash Drives at only one Computer!: Hello together, I have a PC and a laptop. Both are working with Windows Pro Version 1909, which I always keep up-to-date. In Windows Explorer the icons of my USB Flash Drives were always the same like the icons of the hard drives (or the partitions of them): [ATTACH]...
  7. USB Flash Drive Icon Incorrect

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB Flash Drive Icon Incorrect: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/HuntersPad [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dt5g2q/usb_flash_drive_icon_incorrect/
  8. usb flash drive

usb flash drive: I am using windows 10. My usb flash drive does not show in disk manage but only intermittently. Often to make matters worse it freezes my mouse when I have the flash drive plugged in. Also it wont let my computer shut down when the flash drive is plugged in. So far I have...
  9. Two flash drive showing up yet only one inside the computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two flash drive showing up yet only one inside the computer: I have a 16GB Lexar flash drive. But when I stick it in the machine two different drives pop up in file explorer! I have tried to format both of the drives and check for a driver updates, but to no avail. Help would be appropriated thanks. PS: in device manager only one...
  10. One USB 3 port only works with one brand of flash drive

One USB 3 port only works with one brand of flash drive: Folks, There is something very odd going on with JUST ONE of my USB 3 ports (one of the two on the front panel) on my new system that has a "clean" install of Win 10 Pro. A few days ago I tried to use that port and Windows did not recognize any USB drive that I inserted....