Suddenly Opening in Metro Interface

Discus and support Suddenly Opening in Metro Interface in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The patient is an IBM Thinkpad laptop running the latest build (10130) as part of a dual boot 7 / 10 setup. It has been running 10 without incident for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ArtShapiro, Jun 19, 2015.

1. ArtShapiro Win User

The patient is an IBM Thinkpad laptop running the latest build (10130) as part of a dual boot 7 / 10 setup. It has been running 10 without incident for months.

All of a sudden, my main account opens in a metro style desktop. Applications open full screen and cannot be restored smaller. I can't fiddle with the taskbar because there isn't one in this style.

I created a second account on the machine and it behaves normally.

I've looked around the various settings in gpedit and haven't stumbled upon anything relevant.

Can anyone hypothesize what has happened and whether it's possible to get the expected traditional desktop back?

Art

:)

ArtShapiro, Jun 19, 2015
  2. markinthebox Win User

Love/Hate relationship with my new Windows Phone 7

In your post at the beginning of this thread you say that Microsoft has hit a home run with the Metro UI. Now you're saying the interface looks like they're trying to copy Apple, and that it should look more like Windows?

You lost me on this one. Metro looks NOTHING like Apple's interface, and in fact if it looked more like Windows it would also look more like an Apple interface.

If you believe the Metro interface is fundamentally flawed or just not to your liking, then this is not the device for you. Do you honestly think MS is going to abandon the interface and go back to a Windows-like look? They did that already - see Windows
    Mobile 6.5

markinthebox, Jun 19, 2015
  3. garym123 Win User
    How can I add my 2520 tablet to my existing live account

Sure, PC settings, accounts.

That will add the account to mail, contacts and calendar to the metro interface

garym123, Jun 19, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

You enabled tablet mode. And also somehow hid the taskbar. Taskbar is usually there in Tablet mode.

Mystere, Jun 19, 2015
  5. ArtShapiro Win User
    Wow - much appreciated. Just knowing what it was called let me undo the remarkably-obnoxious mode. The weird thing is that it spontaneously happened while I was simply sitting back watching the live video feed of the U.S. Open. I wasn't even touching the keyboard.

ArtShapiro, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Suddenly Opening in Metro Interface - Similar Threads - Suddenly Opening Metro

2. High Disk Usage When Opening Any Programs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High Disk Usage When Opening Any Programs: I am experiencing high disk usage when I open literally everything. I am not too knowledgeable on computer hardware so hopefully someone here can help. I have disabled SuperFetch (I was/still am having issues with my computer randomly resetting; someone said disabling it...
  3. Win10 Emoji Panel Won't Open

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Emoji Panel Won't Open: Hi All, I also posted this same question here... Entering Emoji on Hardware Keyboard with Emoji Panel in Windows 10 Anyway, I'm running the latest version of win 10 and the emoji panel will not open, using either Win + period or Win + semicolon key's. I've done a system...
  4. black screen on right side of opening page

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    black screen on right side of opening page: We need to fix your Microsoft account(most likely your password has changed). Select here to fix it in Shared experience settings.9.09a...
  5. text documents (*.txt) on notepad and it wont open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    text documents (*.txt) on notepad and it wont open: my computer has been hacked and all of sudden they sent this text documents and it say push enter but it doesn't do anything. also does anyone know how to get the hackers off my computer... any help would be appreciated...
  6. Word 2007 Can No-Longer open .DOCM files after upgrade to Windows 10

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word 2007 Can No-Longer open .DOCM files after upgrade to Windows 10: Today, I upgraded a Windows 8 system to Windows 10 Home. All seemed to work well. NOW however, Word 2007 cannot open a .DOCM file that has an embedded Excel spreadsheet object (.XLS). I've never seen such a thing before and I'm lost. There's a bunch of chatter about Security...
  7. Open New Tabs with a Blank Page Option does not work on Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Open New Tabs with a Blank Page Option does not work on Microsoft Edge: Hello, I have set Microsoft Edge to open with a blank page. However when I set the option to open new tabs with a blank page, it continues to open MSN.com. I have gone to the Edge Menu (3 dots) > Settings > Open New Tabs With , then I have selected "a blank page". Yet time...
  8. Quarantine folder on Windows Defender will not open; it says something about Library DDL or...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Quarantine folder on Windows Defender will not open; it says something about Library DDL or...: when I try to see what is in the Quarantine folder on Windows Defender it says somethin about Library DDL or DLL not being installed or in error...
  9. Error Opening Trello (App Installed from Windows 10 App Store)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error Opening Trello (App Installed from Windows 10 App Store): [ATTACH]I receive the attached error when trying to open a newly installed copy of Trello. I have reset the computer, installed and uninstalled the app on different drives, and still get the same issue. "An invalid name request was made. The name requested cannot be retired...
  10. Cannot open Java install file in Window 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot open Java install file in Window 10: I cannot open Java install file: [ATTACH] When I double-click to this program, nothing happens Here is my window infor: [ATTACH]...