Windows 10: Suddenly started having issues (left) clicking

Discus and support Suddenly started having issues (left) clicking in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; While using my laptop normally today, I found that all of a sudden I was having issues when clicking with my mouse. In particular I noticed it when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ALeafOnTheWind4, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Suddenly started having issues (left) clicking

While using my laptop normally today, I found that all of a sudden I was having issues when clicking with my mouse. In particular I noticed it when trying to click to switch tabs in Chrome, or to click icons on my taskbar. Some clicking worked- for example, I could exit out of tabs or windows, and at first right clicking became a problem. I restart my computer, and it seemed fine for a bit, but after a couple minutes it started happening again. I tried to follow the advice found on this page: Solved: Left Click Not Working in Windows 10 - Bob McKay's Blog - however, while running that process, it only seemed to be worse, and I could click absolutely nothing.

So I rebooted again. Again, at first everything was okay- except for left clicks behaving like right clicks for a bit- but then it started happening again. This time, though, it seemed that my clicks would fail to work for awhile, and then they would start working again. However, what I think I've discovered is that I can make left clicks work if I right click first. It seems to be pretty consistent so far. I could deal with it if it stays like that, but it is annoying, and if there's a fix, I'd rather try to fix it.

I should make a couple of notes:

- This isn't an issue with the mouse, because it's happening from both my mouse and the touchpad on my laptop. All the same, I did check for driver updates on both. No dice.
    - I did run some Anti-Virus, in case it was a related issue. Windows Defender is still running a full scan, but MalwareBytes didn't turn anything up on a Threat Scan
    - I am still occasionally getting left clicks acting like right clicks.

:)

ALeafOnTheWind4, Jan 31, 2017

2. Mouse options changed after upgrading to Windows 10.

The issue is not original windows 10, it came up after the latest update.

The machine I have was win8 from the start and had no issues, now suddenly the mouse is left clicking, even after a re-start.

ridiculous!

RamonCareaga, Jan 31, 2017
  3. Start button suddenly became unresponsive to a left click

Hi Clem,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• Are you using a Desktop Computer or Laptop?
    • Have you made any changes to the system prior to this issue?
    The issue could also arise due to outdated drivers that might not be compatible with Windows 10. So, I would suggest you to keep checking your Windows updates not only important one but optional too. If any available try to install
    them and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

If you are using a desktop Computer, I suggest you to plug a different mouse to your Computer and check if you are able to left click on start button.

If you are using a Laptop, you may need to update the touchpad drivers in order to solve this type of issues.

Follow these steps:

a) Press Windows +X keys on the keyboard.

b) Select Device Manager.

c) Find and double-click Mice and other pointing devices.

d) Right-click the synaptic touchpad driver, and click
    Update driver software.

e) Follow the onscreen instructions to update the display drivers.

Also, I suggest you to run System File Checker, which will check your system for missing, corrupt or damaged files and attempt to fix them.

Please refer the article on “How to run System File Checker” and check if that helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-gb

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Jan 31, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Suddenly started having issues (left) clicking

dalchina, Jan 31, 2017
  5. The issue apparently resolved on its own. But thank you for your response all the same, and I'll remember your advice if the issue reoccurs

ALeafOnTheWind4, Feb 1, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    You're one of the few lucky ones..*Wink

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Suddenly started having issues (left) clicking

1. Suddenly started having issues (left) clicking - Similar Threads - Suddenly started having

2. mouse left click suddenly stop working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mouse left click suddenly stop working: So I have a problem with my laptop mouse where suddenly the left click doesn't seem to work, but the left click sometimes suddenly works but only in a specific app and after that it suddenly doesn't work again....
  3. mouse left click suddenly stop working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mouse left click suddenly stop working: So I have a problem with my laptop mouse where suddenly the left click doesn't seem to work, but the left click sometimes suddenly works but only in a specific app and after that it suddenly doesn't work again....
  4. mouse left click issue

mouse left click issue: i use mouse Aula S30 in windows 10, i tried other mouse too, the issue is when i use left click to any video, its not become pause but going previous video. when i test in driver mouse, it's fine didnt have issue at all but when in outside of it like trying double click. it...
  5. mouse left click issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mouse left click issue: i use mouse Aula S30 in windows 10, i tried other mouse too, the issue is when i use left click to any video, its not become pause but going previous video. when i test in driver mouse, it's fine didnt have issue at all but when in outside of it like trying double click. it...
  6. mouse left click issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Windows 11 Left Click Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Left Click Issue: When I updated from windows 10 to windows 11 ive been having issues with my left click. At first it started as sometimes my left click not registering properly when i was selecting multiple things and eventually it went away with updates however now I am finding that...
  8. Windows 11 Left Click Issue

Windows 11 Left Click Issue: When I updated from windows 10 to windows 11 ive been having issues with my left click. At first it started as sometimes my left click not registering properly when i was selecting multiple things and eventually it went away with updates however now I am finding that...
  9. Left Click on Start Does Nothing

in Windows 10 Support
    Left Click on Start Does Nothing: Windows 10 was working, then I used CCleaner to delete temporary files. Now, when I left click on Start, there is a momentary blue circle over Start indicating that the machine is busy performing a task, but nothing else happens. Right clicking on start brings up a menu of...
  10. windows start button no left click

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows start button no left click: Hello I have just upgraded from seven to ten. At first things were ok but I no longer have anything on the windows icon with left click. Also the new browser will not start and internet explorer browser icon went away. Can I do another free upgrade by using system restore?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. all of a sudden clicking on icons is unresponcsive