Windows 10: Suddenly unable to access USB Drive

Discus and support Suddenly unable to access USB Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have had this USB drive for1 year, it has been formatted and I have been using it daily. Suddenly this morning, I plug it in, click on it to open and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by heliosophe, May 24, 2020.

1. Suddenly unable to access USB Drive

I have had this USB drive for1 year, it has been formatted and I have been using it daily. Suddenly this morning, I plug it in, click on it to open and it says"

"F.:\is not accessible. Access is denied". I went through all of the processes to check the Security......

"You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object" I click Advance and I see " F:\\ Unable to display Owner"

I continue the steps to change: Owner/Aministrator/ Owner/ Authenticated users I tried all of these individually,

A message pops up, I don't have "access to read files.....Do you want to change to have full access?"

I click "yes" it processes and says "F:\System Volume Information " " Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access denied" ....

Not knowing what else to do I click "Ok" it says if I have just taken ownership, close out and reopen to take effect.

As I clocse out, I see that it has changed to F:\\ Owner....

I check the "Effective Access" tab everything is checked, I appear to have access. I close out totally, even reboot the computer.

Go to the USB DRIVE and "

F.:\is not accessible. Access is denied"

I am at a loss. I have other drives that I have checked, their access is open. The only difference I see is that the trouble drive is "F" and the other is "E". No matter where I port it, it is always up as "F".

One person suggested to change that, but I don't know how that is possible and doesn't explain what happened that I am now unable to access this particular drive.

Does anyone have ANY ideas as to what the problem could be? It makes no sense that there should so many steps to change something that was fine yesterday.

:)

heliosophe, May 24, 2020
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Unable to access Drives

Hi Suneel,

One of the reasons why you're unable to access your hard disk or an external hard drive is that these drives have been corrupted. For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Are you trying to access external hard drives or just partitioned drives on your PC?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

Just to make sure, kindly verify if your hard drive is reflected in your Device Manager. Kindly follow the steps listed below to check it:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Device Manager.
    • Under Disk drives, kindly check if there's an error on the hard drive listed.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Paolo Mag, May 24, 2020
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    External Drive "not accessible"

Hi,

Corrupted USB controller is one of the possible reasons why you are unable to access your external hard drive. We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this

link
    to resolve the issue.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, May 24, 2020
  4. Suddenly unable to access USB Drive

Unable to see info on USB drive

Check if the drive is assigned a drive letter.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Click Add

Click Assign the following drive letter

Click in the Drive letter list box

Choose a drive letter - try choosing letters near the end of the alphabet

Click OK

Click OK again

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Disk drives

Right click the external drive

Click uninstall

Exit Device Manager, restart then check if its detected.

OR

Step 1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog

Step 2. Type regedit and press Enter

Step 3. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

Step 4. If the USB key does not exist into the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created

Step 5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane

Step 6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu

Step 7.Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend

Step 8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

Step 9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK

Step 10. Reboot your PC

Andre Da Costa, May 24, 2020
Thema:

Suddenly unable to access USB Drive

1. Suddenly unable to access USB Drive - Similar Threads - Suddenly unable access

2. Unable to access USB device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access USB device: Hi, I have Microsoft 11. I have inserted a USB device but I am not seeing the device under "This PC". I am seeing the device listed under "Settings", "Bluetooth & Devices", "other devices" connected to USB 3.0. . What step can I take to access this device?...
  3. Unable to access USB device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access USB device: Hi, I have Microsoft 11. I have inserted a USB device but I am not seeing the device under "This PC". I am seeing the device listed under "Settings", "Bluetooth & Devices", "other devices" connected to USB 3.0. . What step can I take to access this device?...
  4. unable to access SD Card/USB drive/CD Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to access SD Card/USB drive/CD Drive: Hi, I am unable to access any kind of external drives at all. On an HP laptop with Windows 10. In file explorer the error is "Location not available" E:\ is not available Access Denied I tried changing the owner to myself, then everyone, get the error "unable to set new...
  5. My USB drive is not ACCESSIBLE?

My USB drive is not ACCESSIBLE?: It is coming up with the message 'the disk structure is corrupted or unreadible'. THIS IS URGENT AS I NEED TO ACCESS THE USB BY TOMORROW AS I NEED SOME INFORMATION / FILES ON IT....
  6. Windows 10 unable to access any USB flash drives - "Access denied"

Windows 10 unable to access any USB flash drives - "Access denied": Hello, Since recently my Windows 10 PC is unable to open any USB sticks. It always displays an error massage:"Location is not avaliable. Access denied.". I tried changing the ownership settings but I am unable to do that too. Another massage is displayed:"Unable to set new...
  7. USB Drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Drive not accessible: Phantom USB Drive not accessible - not connected to system - visible only on THIS PC and no security tab in properties Drive is maxed. How do I get rid of this drive?...
  8. Unable to access USB drive

Unable to access USB drive: Hi, I tried inserting my flash drive & external driver to my Acer Aspire E13 laptop but it is not responding. it says " Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file...
  9. Unable to access USB drive

Unable to access USB drive: Hi, I'm using windows 10 enterprise x86 on my HP laptop (15-AC122TU). For last few days I'm unable to copy/delete any file to/from my pendrive, not even able to format it. While formatting (fat32/NTFS/fat) : "Windows was not able to complete the format" While...
  10. Unable to access external USB Drives!

Unable to access external USB Drives!: Hi I recently upgraded my PC to windows 10 and every since have been unable to access any USB external drive. The laptop picks up the drives and acknowledges that they are there and working but they do not appear in file explorer. I have looked in disk management and...