Windows 10: Suggestions for excellent desktop

Discus and support Suggestions for excellent desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I need to buy a late model small desktop, corporate grade preferably to replace an older one which is a SFF HP. I won’t rule out a minitower but would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cognus, Feb 11, 2020.

1. cognus Win User

Suggestions for excellent desktop

I need to buy a late model small desktop, corporate grade preferably to replace an older one which is a SFF HP. I won’t rule out a minitower but would prefer to drop the new into the same physical space as the old, which has been very quiet and essentially flawless. Like the current the new will be setup with 2 drives, in this case SSDs, RAID 1. Windows 10 or 10 Pro

Right now I’m leaning towards another HP, this time an Elitedesk 800 G3. The processor frankly doesn’t matter much. I uses a 400 model would do fine. It looks like these sell for $300-400 from quality volume resellers on Ebay, which is how I get most every computing device, and sold quite a few also.

Nothing against Dell Optiplex which I’m very familiar with, I have just had more respect for HPs thoughtful designs since the DC series, which I still run personally around here for server and mule duty.

What say you? What other models should I check?

:)

cognus, Feb 11, 2020
  2. ddelo Win User

Export All Administrative Events to Excel

To analyze events, from the Windows Event Viewer, there is a simple way to export all Administrative Events to Excel, with PowerShell.

Exporting all Administrative Events to Excel is a simple two Step process, as described here:

Step 1 - Create the Administrative Events View .xml file
    1. Open Eventviewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc)
    2. Navigate to: Event Viewer (Local) > Custom Views > Administrative Events
    3. In the “Actions” pane select “Filter Current Custom View”.
    4. Select the the XML tab.
    5. Press Ctrl+A to select all the XML code of the Custom View.
    6. Open a notepad, paste the selected code and save the file to your Desktop as AdmEvtView.xml

Step 2 - Create the csv file with the events
    1. Download the ExportEvtCSV.zip file, which contains the script ExportEvtCSV.ps1 and unzip it, on your Desktop.
      It's not a fancy script, just basic PowerShell commands to create a csv file on the Desktop.
    2. In Windows Search, type “ISE” (without the quotes) to open “Windows PowerShell ISE” and Run as administrator
    3. To allow running the script, change the ExecutionPolicy, for this session. To do that, in the Console pane type:
      Code:
      Code:
      Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope Process -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -force
    4. In the Windows PowerShell ISE, open and run the script: ExportEvtCSV.ps1
      The script will create a csv file with a name YYYYMMDD.HHMM.csv on the Desktop
    5. When done, open the newly created .csv file, format the columns as needed and optionally save it as .xlsx, if you wish.
    That’s it! You now have all the Administrative Events in Excel for filtering and further analysis. Suggestions for excellent desktop :)

Now to the more technical hard stuff... *Confused

There is a reason for running the script from within PowerShell ISE!

It would be great if everything was also working perfectly, when running the script from an elevated PowerShell too.

We can run it from an elevated PowerShell, which means that you just follow the Step 1, as above but for the Step 2 instead of the ISE you run the script from an elevated PowerShell.

The problem is that it will work only for anybody who has en-US format for the dates. Everyone else, who has another format (i.e. en-GB, fr-FR, el-GR etc.), the dates are not translated properly by Excel (although the script uses the –UseCulture switch) and remain as text in the en-US format.

I'm not sure if this a bug of the "export-csv" cmdlet, but although it runs the way it supposed to from within the ISE, from PowerShell there is a problem with the dates format.
    As I haven’t found a way to overcome this obstacle, any suggestion from the PowerShell gurus of the forum (like my good friend Shawn @Brink, for instance), is welcome.

ddelo, Feb 11, 2020
  3. New System build Suggestions

just another build suggestion to consider- System Builder

BarbaricSoul, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Suggestions for excellent desktop - Similar Threads - Suggestions excellent desktop

2. Can't delete Excel file from desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete Excel file from desktop: You probably think, "Go check the thousands of other posts and replies about the problem!" but trust me, nothing works!I'll try to keep it short. Got an email from the boss with an xlsx attachment. The attachment didn't 'save as' due to permission issues but 'right click ->...
  3. GMail Desktop App - Suggestions?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    GMail Desktop App - Suggestions?: Hi, everyone, I would love your help ☺️ I am getting a new laptop and need to access Gmail for work since I work as a marketing assistant for a leading eCommerce business; unfortunately, I use Vivaldi as my go-to browser since Chrome is a resource hog. I'd like to know if...
  4. Suggestion For Microsoft To Implement (Regarding Desktop Slideshow)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Suggestion For Microsoft To Implement (Regarding Desktop Slideshow): The full title of my post (which cannot fit, should be): > Suggestion For Microsoft To Implement (Regarding Custom Desktop Slideshow Images & Custom Lock Screen Images) I tend to collect artistic digital images to add to my collection of images that are used for the Desktop...
  5. Use Excel workbooks on multiple desktops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use Excel workbooks on multiple desktops: Hello! The problem I’m having is I want to use 2 desktops with a different excel workbook in each desktop. When I open an excel workbook in desktop 2, my computer switches to desktop 1 and opens the excel workbook there with the already existing workbook. This is annoying....
  6. Opening Excel in two virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Opening Excel in two virtual desktops: Sorry if I'm a bit off with the terminology but am I right in thinking that it is not possible to have excel or any other app active in two different virtual desktops at the same time. I've just tried to do this and found at least by default it cannot happen. Is this normal...
  7. Tidy Up My Desktop - Suggestions Please

in Windows 10 Support
    Tidy Up My Desktop - Suggestions Please: In all the years I have had a pc I find myself saving things on my desktop to access quickly. Eg Word Docs just created, latest eBook downloaded, web pages etc I simply must remember etc If I put them in a folder I can never remember where they are Comes with age lol Can you...
  8. Which Desktop To Purchase; Suggestions ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Which Desktop To Purchase; Suggestions ?: Hi, Would appreciate any and all thoughts on this. Want to buy a new Windows10 Desktop pc for my son, and his graduate school courses. I realize that most of these brands, probably, use components from the same sources, and that to a very large extent it is truly the luck...
  9. suggestions for a desktop video & sound capture program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    suggestions for a desktop video & sound capture program: Hi I would like some suggestions for a desktop video & sound capture program... Have tried loads and loads today, Free & trial versions...many free ones have 3 minute limits or watermarks etc etc... I need to capture some video & audio from a website...The video is...
  10. Excel file shows on every desktop

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel file shows on every desktop: No other program does this, but if I have an Excel 2003 document open, it will show on every virtual desktop (usually). This is especially odd since the window is showing and can be used, but there is not icon for it on the taskbar (unless you are on the "correct" desktop for...