Windows 10: Suggestions for external backup solution

Discus and support Suggestions for external backup solution in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I hope this is the right section. A bit unsure where this question would be best posed. I have (very shamefully) been manually backing up all my work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Thornton, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Thornton Win User

Suggestions for external backup solution

I hope this is the right section. A bit unsure where this question would be best posed. I have (very shamefully) been manually backing up all my work files for pretty much ever. Many years ago, at home solutions just seemed to be.... bad. Haha. Not purposeless and I am sure better than nothing but I tried a few and they were a train wreck. Mismatched files in wrong locations everywhere. I would change or update files and they weren't being backed up, seemingly because I think that the software thought it already did. But, it has been a long time since the days of windows vista and I would be shocked if things are still that crazy. This also means I am out of practice.

I am hoping for some suggestions for an external backup hard drive that can meet a few needs of mine. I also am open to alternative software if you think that maybe a hard drive is good but there is better software to use. I want to be clear. I am not incapable of google searching this, but enough articles with bold text saying "BEST DRIVE TO BUY IN 2021!!!" with multiple authors from the same blog contradicting each other doesn't give me confidence. I am hoping for first hand accounts, ideas of why you do or don't like certain options, little quirky features that get you really excited, etc.

Basically I need it to:

• Be compatible with Windows
    • Be at least 4tb,
    • Be stable and independent of my machine so if something were to happen to my computer I can trust it didn't completely screw me over,
    • Have some sort of automatic backup feature whether it is scheduled nightly or real time, or something so I can pretty much forget about it,
    • Preferably the drive and software (if separate from what is included with the drive) will be under $150, but that is a soft number and I have a bit of wiggle room if the suggestion is just that great.
    • Network features are certainly cool as I have multiple machines, but not really a NEED per se

I really appreciate all of your help!

:)

Thornton, Feb 26, 2021
  2. Thornton Win User

I hope this is the right section. A bit unsure where this question would be best posed. I have (very shamefully) been manually backing up all my work files for pretty much ever. Many years ago, at home solutions just seemed to be.... bad. Haha. Not purposeless and I am sure better than nothing but I tried a few and they were a train wreck. Mismatched files in wrong locations everywhere. I would change or update files and they weren't being backed up, seemingly because I think that the software thought it already did. But, it has been a long time since the days of windows vista and I would be shocked if things are still that crazy. This also means I am out of practice.

I am hoping for some suggestions for an external backup hard drive that can meet a few needs of mine. I also am open to alternative software if you think that maybe a hard drive is good but there is better software to use. I want to be clear. I am not incapable of google searching this, but enough articles with bold text saying "BEST DRIVE TO BUY IN 2021!!!" with multiple authors from the same blog contradicting each other doesn't give me confidence. I am hoping for first hand accounts, ideas of why you do or don't like certain options, little quirky features that get you really excited, etc.

Basically I need it to:

• Be compatible with Windows
    • Be at least 4tb,
    • Be stable and independent of my machine so if something were to happen to my computer I can trust it didn't completely screw me over,
    • Have some sort of automatic backup feature whether it is scheduled nightly or real time, or something so I can pretty much forget about it,
    • Preferably the drive and software (if separate from what is included with the drive) will be under $150, but that is a soft number and I have a bit of wiggle room if the suggestion is just that great.
    • Network features are certainly cool as I have multiple machines, but not really a NEED per se

I really appreciate all of your help!

Thornton, Feb 26, 2021
  3. Sean8 Win User
    Need a Backup Solution

Automatic backup

newtekie1 helped alot with what he suggested. Been using it for almost 2 weeks now works awesome.

Sean8, Feb 26, 2021
  4. Thornton Win User

This is an awesome reply. Thank you for taking the time! Yeah, I work both at home and remote and frequently have to share source files for large portions of my work with colleagues and clients, so keeping an internet backup is good, and the manual backups are a great counter part, but what I mean by verbose is, I dont want to manually be backing up daily, so I do it every couple weeks at best to couple months at worst and I would like something that can just sorta double down on that. This is more of a backup backup system just in case my manual and web backups are A) fail or B) are too inconvenient. As we both mentioned, if I need to download 2tb of data thats a long download, and if I need to do it from another country, well, thats probably even longer. I will take a look at the software and hardware you suggested. I am open to more suggestions if anyone has any but that was a HUGE huge help.

As for some of your other questions. I have a couple hard drives that I use acronis (never failed me yet) to clone my C drive to in rotation so I always have 2 dates of backup. The oldest gets overwritten at some point. The exception is one other drive that I keep a clone of with my core applications and things already installed should I need to go back to a relatively "clean" state with my essentials. In terms of insurance, my renters insurance covers my workstation. Not a warranty. Built it myself so no singular warranty but it was easy enough to just adjust my coverage to handle power surges and compensate the value of my computer into the policy. Just need to use surge protectors but I have a power conditioner/surge protector that I think for sake of inconvenience has me a LITTLE more protected. You dont have to hear thunder here for the lights to flicker. I dont know why but the power in our area is super spotty. I have not had the power go out yet in the time I have lived here, but I have had all my devices turn off and turn back on. I am (knock on wood) shocked that literally nothing in my home has been damaged yet from it but I try not to count my chickens... The city hasn't done anything about the power issue in our area so anything could happen. Thats digressing a bit but in short, the data is what matters. Replacing my computer would be a HUGE inconvenience but what I do is not cheap and I would rather not be the one shelling out the dough because the city cant keep their power consistent.

Thornton, Feb 26, 2021
Thema:

1. Suggestions for external backup solution - Similar Threads - Suggestions external backup

2. Please suggest the solution of this problem error.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please suggest the solution of this problem error.: Please suggest the solution of this problem error. The screen shot of the error has been attached. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-suggest-the-solution-of-this-problem-error/8c3b13c5-e904-4c46-9c27-0960555a574f
  3. Please suggest the solution of this problem error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please suggest the solution of this problem error.: Please suggest the solution of this problem error. The screen shot of the error has been attached. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-suggest-the-solution-of-this-problem-error/8c3b13c5-e904-4c46-9c27-0960555a574f
  4. Please suggest the solution of this problem error.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Bluetooth problem - not responding to suggested solutions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth problem - not responding to suggested solutions: I am tearing my hair out trying to find a solution to the problem of my PC not recognising a device via Bluetooth. Using an adapter does not help and I continue to get the message that Bluetooth is not available on this device.Running troubleshooter for Bluetooth Message is...
  6. Can anyone suggest the solution?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can anyone suggest the solution?: Please Solve This. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-anyone-suggest-the-solution/2711659a-21fc-4ea6-9d3e-b9e704f8ee40
  7. Can any one suggest the solution.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can any one suggest the solution.: #error code 80090016 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-any-one-suggest-the-solution/aa13d4a2-501b-4794-ad1b-053e80fea339
  8. Online Backup Suggestions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Online Backup Suggestions: I have 2 computers, connected by a network, & 4 external drives (2 for each computer). I use Macrium Reflect to image each computer to external drives daily & switch external drives each week. My total size for all backups is about 600-700 GB. I'd like to be able to store...
  9. Suggestions for external backup solution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Suggestions for external backup solution: I hope this is the right section. A bit unsure where this question would be best posed. I have (very shamefully) been manually backing up all my work files for pretty much ever. Many years ago, at home solutions just seemed to be.... bad. Haha. Not purposeless and I am sure...
  10. Windows 10 Backup Strategy Solution Suggestions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 Backup Strategy Solution Suggestions: Hello All, I have only had one instance of a hard disk dying on me, and losing the data on that disk would have been devastating. Luckily, I used Carbon Copy Cloner on a weekly. That was on OS X and it really saved me at the time. The only backup I have in place right...