Windows 10: Suggestions for new word processor

Discus and support Suggestions for new word processor in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I've been using Open Office on both my laptop where it runs perfectly and on my desktop where very common names such Haden, Cassidy etc. are red lined... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Fred22, May 20, 2017.

1. Fred22 Win User

Suggestions for new word processor

I've been using Open Office on both my laptop where it runs perfectly and on my desktop where very common names such Haden, Cassidy etc. are red lined (well I see Haden got the old red line here too). Anyway, when I put a file with no red lining on my flash drive (from laptop) and open it on my desktop the red lines are there. Even if I click add to dictionary and reopen the file it's still red lined. I've also tried OfficeLibre (by the same company), and I encounter the same problem. I'm sick and tired of dealing w/this annoying problem and would like to get some recommendations for a good word dependable word processor (a free one if possible). I've inquired re this issue on the O.O. forum and did not receive an answer that solved my problem. I know there are very knowledgeable folks here and hoped someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

:)

Fred22, May 20, 2017

2. SUGGESTION FOR MAKING NEW PROCESSORS

I want to give an opinion to Microsoft in regards to lumia phones, i want to say that i am a big big Fan of Microsoft, i have many products of Microsoft, sometime i compare my phone with ANDROID and IOS phones, i found that lumia have the power that brings
    Microsoft up on the table and that's why iam giving u a suggestion about the processors, i found that iphone have dual core and beats octacore Android and Windows, why so i research on it why iPhones are faster although they have only dual cores so i found
    a link i read ut and i want to give a suggestion to Microsoft to make processors like Apple doing, check out this link, and try these.

Explained: Why dual-core iPhone 6 is faster than 8-core Android phones,

http://m.indiatoday.in/technology/story/explained-why-dual-core-iphone-6-is-faster-than-8-core-android-phones/1/408834.html

i know iam a normal student i dont know about the company policys and dont know what Microsoft think but i send this to give my opinion, hoping for a pleasant reply, REGARDS ........��

[Moved from Community Participation Center]

Taha Mansoor, May 20, 2017
  3. Don Varnau, May 20, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

The red lines for spell checking and the green lines for grammar checking do not travel with the file, are only showing in whatever program the file is opened in. If there is no spell checking in a program the red line won't show.

As for a replacement free program I use LibreOffice.org, is very compatible with Microsoft Office applications except has no built-in E-Mail Client, nothing compatible with Outlook. OpenOffice and LibreOffice both have origins in Star Office but split some time ago. OO is part of Apache now.

As far as common names, they may not be in the dictionary/s used in creating the program, my name is not in any dictionary so it always shows as misspelled. I haven't had any issue adding it to the word processor's dictionary but I have to do it on each computer with an installed spell checking program.

Berton, May 20, 2017
  5. TairikuOkami, May 20, 2017
  6. Fred22 Win User
    I can tick "add to dictionary", save and the red lines are still there. I've also used LibreOffice and it does the same thing. I'm using the MS Wordpad and it works very well, but doesn't have enough features. I hate to put out $100 a year for "leasing" MS Word. I saw it someplace online for $70 but I'm a little nervous re downloading something from an unknown website. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your response and hope to hear from you when you have the time.

Fred22, May 20, 2017
  7. TairikuOkami, May 20, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

You get so much more than Word when leasing Office 365 - you get Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook (proper version) + 1TB one drive space per licenced user (only slightly more expensive to buy a 5 user licence than a 1 user licence). You could give the spare licences to family/friends or share cost of Office 365.

In the end, as my dear old Gran used to say 'you only get what you pay for'.

cereberus, May 21, 2017
  9. pyramid10 Win User
    1) I use LibreOffice (portable), and the first thing(s) I do after "install" is configure the autocorrect(!) options and the general options. That gets rid of the red squiggly underlines. Never used any dictionary.

2) Major Geeks dot com just offered Jarte version 6.0 word processor. One can download from Major Geeks or from the linked author. The software hype sounds promising, although I have yet to use it.

EDIT: My mistake: it's Portable Apps dot com, not Major Geeks.

pyramid10, May 21, 2017
  10. Fred22 Win User
    Thanks for your reply but all I need is a word processor.

Fred22, May 21, 2017
  11. Fred22 Win User
    Sounds very interesting. Tell me how to configure autocorrect and I'll give it a shot.

Fred22, May 21, 2017
  12. Berton Win User
    Most program installations will allow a Custom install where one can leave out what is not needed, put it on a different partition, etc.

Berton, May 21, 2017
  13. pparks1 Win User

I was going to also suggest the free online version of Microsoft Word. You can access it via the logon page for OneDrive. Once you are logged in, under New at the top will be a drop down to make a Microsoft Word file.

I would give this a try and see if you get the functionality you need. It's compatible with nearly everybody and it's Microsoft Word which most people are familiar with.

pparks1, May 21, 2017
  14. Fred22 Win User
    Will it open my OpenOffice files?

Fred22, May 21, 2017
  15. Berton Win User
    Depends upon how you saved them, if using .odt maybe but they could have been saved as .doc or .docx by OpenOffice, a choice that could be made. Same for LibreOffice. I just checked my Word 15 [part of Office 2013 suite] and it shows .odt as a format it can open.

Berton, May 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Suggestions for new word processor - Similar Threads - Suggestions word processor

2. Word Suggestion Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word Suggestion Stopped Working: After last update 04/11/22 for Win 10 Edition Windows 10 Home Version 21H2 OS build 19044.1679 Word suggestion stopped working on two of our rigs. Any suggestions on how to fix the issue?...
  3. Word Suggestion Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Word Suggestion Stopped Working: After last update 04/11/22 for Win 10 Edition Windows 10 Home Version 21H2 OS build 19044.1679 Word suggestion stopped working on two of our rigs. Any suggestions on how to fix the issue?...
  4. Word Suggestion Stopped Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Word Processor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word Processor: I use a desktop computer with Windows 10. I do not have Microsoft Office because I have no need for it. However, I would like to use Microsoft Word but of course, without installing Microsoft Office, it will not work. Can you please suggest an alternative Word Processor which...
  6. Word Processor

Word Processor: I use a desktop computer with Windows 10. I do not have Microsoft Office because I have no need for it. However, I would like to use Microsoft Word but of course, without installing Microsoft Office, it will not work. Can you please suggest an alternative Word Processor which...
  7. Word Processor

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. unwanted word suggestions appearing

unwanted word suggestions appearing: Suddenly word suggestions are appearing on every site I type anything inincluding this one. Cannot find a way or place to disable them. Any suggestions are welcome. they're most annoying. Have no idea where they are coming from....
  9. WHERE IS MY WORD PROCESSOR

WHERE IS MY WORD PROCESSOR: where is my word processor for letters ad mailing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-my-word-processor/c8017860-2105-4f28-9be7-de57c51bcbcf
  10. three word suggestions

three word suggestions: How do I remove the three word suggestions that pop up on every word as I type? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/three-word-suggestions/aef897c1-985c-4365-b335-f336b3ac33cb