Windows 10: Super slow boot time and unrecognized HDD

Discus and support Super slow boot time and unrecognized HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So for about maybe 1 year maybe more my computer does this very random and very annoying thing where one of my HDD's does not show up in the bios and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kirshy, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Kirshy Win User

Super slow boot time and unrecognized HDD

So for about maybe 1 year maybe more my computer does this very random and very annoying thing where one of my HDD's does not show up in the bios and if I try to just boot in to windows it can take upwards of 5 minutes for it to finally bring me to login screen (I get stuck on the windows loading screen) I have my OS (Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17134) on a samsung ssd and 2 seagate 1TB HDD's. It is almost always the one specific HDD that stops being recognized however there has been one time where the other has stopped as well. I have tried the usual methods for fixing something like this, swapping SATA cables, SATA ports, I even re installed Windows and formated all drives to get it to stop doing it. I ran the hard drive health check thing from seagate on both drives both came up healthy. Generally it seems like pure chance as to whether or not the hard drive will come back and be recognized and I don't have to wait 5m for a boot on and SSD. I have yet to find any kind of pattern that could indicate what causes this although for some reason whenever my computer sustains some kind of "trauma" such as a power failure or one time I downloaded a software and clumsily gave myself a handful of virus / malware it seems to kaput out. Then finally for some reason it may come back, and I have to avoid shutting my computer down because I know when I reboot there is a likely chance i will lose my hard drive and it wont be recognized (and this is precisely what happened a couple days ago). I also just noticed I have a significant memory leak happening. Super slow boot time and unrecognized HDD 1c5638b4-3bec-4c24-8154-dc7169e31c67?upload=true.png

I have 8gb of ram installed, and somehow I am using 4gb of memory despite task manager displaying I am using nowhere near that amount. Could there be a link? I just reinstalled windows to try and fix the leak but it is still occuring. I truly have no clue what to do. Is it a windows problem, a bios problem, the fact that the drives will randomly come back and turn up healthy in tests leads me to believe it isn't the health of the drives. Even weirder is that if I unplug the Sata and power cables for the 2 HDD drives Windows still takes many minutes to load into despite being on an SSD I know works.

Thanks for any suggestions.

:)

Kirshy, Dec 9, 2018
  2. xkm1948 Win User

Need help! Super slow boot time and HDD problem

The entire dilemma started a week ago when my 5 yrs old Seagate 7200.11 500GB crap out. I lost 90% of data. Good thing is my PC has 2 hdds. Second hdd is wd black 1.5tb which I bought in 2011 to expand storage.

So i went ahead and used my WD to install system. Things runs fine for 3 days. Until this morning my PC again refused to boot up like normal. It took almost 20 mins to boot up. HDD activity light was constantly on. But I cant hear the drive operating like usual. When it finally boot up. I couldn't access one of my volumes on the HDD. Used HDTunerPro and get a SMART warning of "Current Pending Sector" The value is 15. My system is super slow.

So my question is, how can both HDDs fail at about the same time? Or is it my power supply that is failing which caused the HDD problem?

For the SMART warning, should I RMA the drive? Is "Current Pending Sector Warning" fixable or unfixable?

Thanks guys!

xkm1948, Dec 9, 2018
  3. GIL
    gil Win User
    Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition

Hi all,

My system uses a SSD drive and Fast Boot option in Windows (Hibernate = YES).
    Also, my BIOS is set to Fast Boot option.

1. Usually, from cold boot it will log in within 8 seconds on average.
    2. For a PC restart, it takes about 15~20 seconds to login. Pretty manageable.

It's worth noting that cold boot uses the hiber.sys file when fast boot option is enabled in windows.
    This file is not being used for PC restart.

Since I added a HDD eSATA enclosure that can host two HDDs, I've experienced slow boot times.
    With 1 HDD it would take about 20 seconds to login from PC restart, but with the additional 2nd HDD it got to about 60+ seconds to login.

Things I've done:
    1. I've disabled some none windows, none crucial startup services to no avail.
    2. My motherboard is quite old - Asus P8Z77-V-Deluxe.
      It uses Asmedia 106x SATA Controller. The eSata drivers for it are from 21/08/2017 version 3.2.3.0.
      I've installed this driver after I experienced the slow boot time in the hope to achieve better results, but it didn't improve anything.
    3. Removed BitDefender to no avail. Installed back.
    4. In group policy, I've enabled Windows Boot Performance Diagnostics but I've yet to gather meaningful data.
    5. Lastly, disconnected the eSATA HDD enclosure - Windows boots in 8 seconds. Clearly this has to do with the eSATA connection or HDD's.

My questions are:
    1. Is there a dedicated diagnostic tool for windows boot time that can point what's holding up to boot process?
    2. Do you think it's better to use USB 3.0 instead of the eSATA to improve on the time? or is it the enclosure controller that holds windows boot time?

That's the eSATA HDD enclosure I'm using:
    Vantec NexStar MX Dual 3.5 SATA to USB 3.0 and eSATA W/JBOD/RAID 0/1 Enclosure 690000346712 | eBay

4. GLD
    GLD Win User

Boot Times WTF

Excuse me if I suggest something already mentioned in the thread. I was having real slow boot times with my system. I unchecked NCQ for my hdd(s) in the device manager and it solved my problem.

Also, your ide primary/secondary, master slave settings correct?

Thema:

1. Super slow boot time and unrecognized HDD - Similar Threads - Super slow boot

2. Slow boot time when i connect the internal HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow boot time when i connect the internal HDD: For some reason, my laptop has a longer boot time by nearly a minute when i connect the Internal HDD that i have been using for 2 years. My boot drive is on the SSD and it boots up faster when i disconnect the SATA HDD drive.I ran a SMART test on the drive and it pass the...
  3. Slow boot time when i connect the internal HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow boot time when i connect the internal HDD: For some reason, my laptop has a longer boot time by nearly a minute when i connect the Internal HDD that i have been using for 2 years. My boot drive is on the SSD and it boots up faster when i disconnect the SATA HDD drive.I ran a SMART test on the drive and it pass the...
  4. Slow boot time when i connect the internal HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. windows 11 super super slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 super super slow: I just bought a brand new PC.. I9 5.2 16 core / 32 gb ddr5 6000mhz / rtx3080 and its is slower than a rock on flat land. i don't understand this. this thing should be a beast. A beast that eats beasts. Why is this thing slower than my I7 with ddr4 2333 mhz?? i cant even...
  6. windows 11 super super slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 super super slow: I just bought a brand new PC.. I9 5.2 16 core / 32 gb ddr5 6000mhz / rtx3080 and its is slower than a rock on flat land. i don't understand this. this thing should be a beast. A beast that eats beasts. Why is this thing slower than my I7 with ddr4 2333 mhz?? i cant even...
  7. Slow boot time with new ext HDD. Help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow boot time with new ext HDD. Help!: Secondary external 8TB HDD WD Mybook, adding blank screen with non flashing white underscore to boot time increasing boot time by 10+ seconds. When I unplug the HDD the whole system boots in 5 seconds or less. Things tried that didn’t work, disabling fast startup and double...
  8. Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition: Hi all, My system uses a SSD drive and Fast Boot option in Windows (Hibernate = YES). Also, my BIOS is set to Fast Boot option. Usually, from cold boot it will log in within 8 seconds on average. For a PC restart, it takes about 15~20 seconds to login. Pretty manageable....
  9. Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition

in Windows 10 Support
    Extreme slow boot time since eSATA HDD addition: Hi all, My system uses a SSD drive and Fast Boot option in Windows (Hibernate = YES). Also, my BIOS is set to Fast Boot option. Usually, from cold boot it will log in within 8 seconds on average. For a PC restart, it takes about 15~20 seconds to login. Pretty manageable....
  10. Second HDD Super Slow.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second HDD Super Slow.: I have installed Windows 10 on my C:\ (SSD) but D:\ (Regular HDD) is super slow and i think it has something to do with admin rights and stuff. Anyone know how to fix this? Sometimes when opening folders with alot of videos (20+) It takes Windows 10 a super long time to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hdd super slow

2. unrecognized hdd in windows 10