Windows 10: Superfetch and SSD's in Threshold 2

Discus and support Superfetch and SSD's in Threshold 2 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Threshold 2 has re-enabled superfetch on my PC (only SSD's on my system). I have waited over a week, run Winsat formal, etc. but superfetch remains on.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Snakeyes, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Snakeyes Win User

Superfetch and SSD's in Threshold 2

Threshold 2 has re-enabled superfetch on my PC (only SSD's on my system). I have waited over a week, run Winsat formal, etc. but superfetch remains on. Has anyone experienced this? Before I manually disable the service I would welcome any suggestions etc.

PS: the system recognizes the SSD's (device manager, my PC, disk management etc.)

:)

Snakeyes, Nov 17, 2015
  2. IT_hoser Win User

How To Optimize Windows 10 Settings For SSD Drive Performance?

I just upgraded to Win10 from Win8.1

One of the suggestions for SSD optimization I had read was to disable the SuperFetch Service. On my machine (laptop with only one drive which is an SSD) SuperFetch was enabled by default.

any comments on pros/cons of disabling the superfetch service?

IT_hoser, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Gavsky Win User
    After Nov update - Edge crashes, locks-up Windows

Fix to Threshold 2 problem was re-enabling my SSD's cache feature, in the software provided by manufacturer. Threshold 2 had switched this caching feature OFF; this was the ONLY cause of all my problems!

Would have been great to have been told "Update has disabled/enabled such-and-such" after install; I wouldn't have reverted back to an earlier build had I known it was just this simple fix.

Gavsky, Nov 17, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

SSDs are ignored by superfetch are they not? According to you it makes no difference anyway *Wink

Mine is still running though (to answer your question) - the upgrade reset most things to default.

5. Snakeyes Win User
    Actually, as I understand it, superfetch is not necessary for SSD's (given their speed) but does increase the number off unnecessary read/write actions on the SSD.
    You are correct, in that the upgrade reset most things to default, however Windows 10 tends (or used to) to readjust the settings optimal levels when it identifies SSD's as the boot drive. It doesn't seem to be doing this after the upgrade as you have confirmed.

Snakeyes, Nov 17, 2015
  6. CountMike New Member
    Don't have to worry much about number of writes on contemporary SSDs, they'll outlive HDDs anyway. Only because of the size that tends to be smaller than spinners because of price it may be advisable to kill or make smaller PF, hibernate and such. I never turned it off and size of prefetch folder is only 3.6 MB.

CountMike, Nov 17, 2015
  7. Snakeyes Win User
    Got it. Specially since my drive is a Samsung 850 Pro that will easily out last my PC. Thanks

Snakeyes, Nov 17, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

Hmm, for me C:\Windows\Prefetch\Readyboot is 3MB on SSD and 20MB on VHDX.

Maximum size of Readyboot in both cases is 20MB (I never changed it from default) so it seems even though the service is running it doesn't actually do as much on SSD as on other disk types.

I'm gonna leave it though as I don't understand it.

Superfetch and SSD's  in Threshold 2 [​IMG]

9. CountMike New Member
    All those folders are limited in size and work on FIFO (First In, First Out) principle so files get deleted as soon as new ones are written. Same thing with PF, if 8GB or more of RAM, 1GB of PF is enough. Size of Hybernate file depends of amount of RAM and programs opened while going into sleep mode. As I don't use sleep mode, I turned hibernate off, don't really need it and it's taking space for nothing. On a HDD it was also used to speed up BOOT time.
    As or superfetch/prefetch, no matter how little they mean on SSD, it's still at least better with them. They are not made every time you open a program but only first time, after that they just provide exact location of files/parts of files on disk to help open them subsequent times faster. Don't see anything wrong in that, might even help with less reads/writes on disk.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Superfetch and SSD's in Threshold 2 - Similar Threads - Superfetch SSD's Threshold

2. Windows 10 enterprise Threshold 2

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 enterprise Threshold 2: When are we enterprise users going to receive the update? Thanks. 29728
  3. Windows 10 Threshold 2

Windows 10 Threshold 2: Should I update first to build 10240 or wait till November? Also, will the Media Creation Tool update itself directly to the new build? Insiders, what is new in this update apart from UI changes? 27347
  4. Where is Version 1511 (Threshold 2)

Where is Version 1511 (Threshold 2): I apologize if this is a dumb question. I did a bunch of searching but didn't find an direct answer. I thought I was following all the Windows 10 news. But I am confused. I know Microsoft pulled the 1511 release but then put it back. After being in the insider program on...
  5. Threshold 2 question

Threshold 2 question: I have Windows 10 professional. Unfortunately all this fast/slow ring , insider stuff is a tad confusing. On my machine I ticked defer updates as I don't want to be a beta tester/Guinea pig for any old release that comes down the pipe. But obviously I wonder about threshold 2...
  6. Threshold 2 destroys bcd

Threshold 2 destroys bcd: I was not getting the update thru the reg windows update so I decided to do a manual update to win 10 with the lastest ms tool. It actually was successful. When it completed I was able to use Windows normally and it was updated to threshold 2. However when i reboot I get a...
  7. Anyone seen threshold 2 yet?

Anyone seen threshold 2 yet?: I have had a cumulative update but winver build has stayed at 10240 was that it or not? 29369
  8. Windows Superfetch on SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Superfetch on SSD: After update my W10 from Anniversary to Creators, windows enabled Superfetch to automatic. I always had Superfech disable on my Samsung SSD. Should i disable it, or let windows manage my SSD? Thanks. 81051
  9. Clone Windows 10 threshold 2 to USB SSD NOT BOOTING

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone Windows 10 threshold 2 to USB SSD NOT BOOTING: I have a Dell XPS8700 that came with Windows 8.1, which was upgraded to Windows 10 and upgraded again to threshold 2. I used Acronics True Image 2014 premium to backup my Drive C: partition on disk0 which was resized to 223 GB The remaining space on disk0 was formatted NTFS...
  10. Superfetch on SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Superfetch on SSD: I bought a Samsung SSD, should I disable superfetch now ? 51436