Windows 10: Support required for WSUS Server

Discus and support Support required for WSUS Server in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; We have configured WSUS in organization. now it is not updating properly to all existing client systems with proper updates. Kindly support to close... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DT Support, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Support required for WSUS Server

We have configured WSUS in organization. now it is not updating properly to all existing client systems with proper updates. Kindly support to close this WSUS with updates reports on a priority basis.

:)

DT Support, Feb 25, 2022
  2. qubit Win User

The WSUS support thread

This thread is for all things WSUS (Windows Server Update Services). Discussion, installation questions, problems all go here.

What is WSUS? It's basically a big file cache for all your Windows/Microsoft updates, so all your updates are only ever downloaded over the internet once. Instead of getting your updates directly from Microsoft whenever you reinstall your operating system, you point Windows to your local WSUS server instead. This makes downloading the multi-gigabytes of updates way faster using your internal network and also saves your internet bandwidth, which is often metered and limited.

Note that it requires Windows Server to run. I recommend running the latest Server 2008 R2 for performance, stability and security, if you can. This is a 64-bit only OS. And yes, the server can update from it's own WSUS server too. *Cool Support required for WSUS Server :cool:

I've got links to a few resources below and I'll be adding more goodness to this post and the next one, as people make useful contributions to this thread.

Some WSUS resources to get you started:

The manual: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939796(WS.10).aspx

WSUS home: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx

WSUS forum: Technet forums - WSUS

WSUS wiki: www.wsuswiki.com

POINTING WINDOWS TO THE WSUS SERVER

Note that this procedure is all you have to do on Vista and 7. XP requires a little extra and the whole update process isn't as transparent or efficient.

- Click the Orb at the bottom left of the desktop aka 'Start' button
    - In the search field enter GPEDIT.MSC
    - In the Local Group Policy Editor (LGPE) console that appears, navigate to: Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
    - Double click the Specify Intranet Microsoft update service location Group Policy setting. Note that Not Configured is showing in the State column

Support required for WSUS Server WSUSsetup01.png

- The dialog box opens. Note that the Not Configured radio button is selected

Support required for WSUS Server WSUSsetup02.png

- Enter the server details, by clicking the Enabled radio button and entering the same details in both Options fields. The server's name is the standard Windows name. My server is called afterburner *Smile Support required for WSUS Server :)

Support required for WSUS Server WSUSsetup03.png

- Click OK. The main LGPE window now looks like below. Note that Enabled is now showing in the State column.

Support required for WSUS Server WSUSsetup04.png

- Close the LGPE window

- Open the Windows Update window. It should now show You receive updates: Managed by your system administrator

Support required for WSUS Server WSUSsetup05.png

Now, whenever you check for updates, Windows will access your WSUS server instead of looking over the internet to Microsoft's servers.
    If you want to change it back at an time, simply change the Group Policy setting back to Not Configured.

qubit, Feb 25, 2022
  3. CraigV75 Win User
    WSUS - Servers not reporting in

Hi All,

I am busy with WSUS in a lab running off my laptop. Details are as follows:

1. 1 x Domain Controller running Windows Server 2019
    2. 1 x WSUS Server running Windows Server 2019
    3. 1 x Windows Server 2016 VM

I've installed WSUS on #2 and it's busy downloading updates I have selected. However, try as I might, I cannot get the other 2 servers to report in. Further information:

• All firewalls are disabled;
    • I can ping via name/IP successfully;
    • I can successfully run nslookup;
    • I cannot browse the http://servername:8530 site (in spite of generating the SS;
    • 2 GPOs were created (one for Test, one for PRD) and linked/enabled on the domain;
    • WSUS Service running on the other 2 VMs.

What can I check to ensure that this works? The GPOs are applied, but do I need OUs within AD itself and the servers placed in those, or is leaving them in the default container fine for now? Like I said, it's for test purposes, but I obviously need to get
    it running for further trials/tests I'd like to do.

Thanks!

Craig

CraigV75, Feb 25, 2022
  4. Support required for WSUS Server

WSUS Manual Entry

Odd question for MS Experts.

I have a WSUS environment, and 99% of my servers report to it. This makes it very useful as a list of servers and workstations. But there are 1% of our servers that are in the DMZ or off network. I want to use the list of my WSUS computers to know what
    computers need to be patched, so they don't get forgotten.

These 1% never have to actually talk to WSUS, just appear in the list of computers so a human knows they exist.

How can I manually add a computer to the WSUS Server?

Can I manually manipulate the DB (Full SQL), and if so, how?

BlankMonkey, Feb 25, 2022
Thema:

Support required for WSUS Server

1. Support required for WSUS Server - Similar Threads - Support required WSUS

2. WSUS Server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSUS Server: Hi, I have a WSUS server Windows server 2012 r2.Some of the client windows 10 machines are showing not yet reported status.What is the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wsus-server/283df429-9d8c-4efb-8405-d2e1a83a1c1e
  3. WSUS Server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSUS Server: Hi, I have a WSUS server Windows server 2012 r2.Some of the client windows 10 machines are showing not yet reported status.What is the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wsus-server/283df429-9d8c-4efb-8405-d2e1a83a1c1e
  4. Support required for WSUS Server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Support required for WSUS Server: We have configured WSUS in organization. now it is not updating properly to all existing client systems with proper updates. Kindly support to close this WSUS with updates reports on a priority basis....
  5. Support required for WSUS Server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Support required for WSUS Server: We have configured WSUS in organization. now it is not updating properly to all existing client systems with proper updates. Kindly support to close this WSUS with updates reports on a priority basis....
  6. Offline WSUS Server and Defender.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Offline WSUS Server and Defender.: Is there any way to get weekly Defender Update Definitions into a off-line WSUS server 2019 to be available to computers attached to the network? The monthly off-line patches and definitions work fine, but I need to update defender weekly through WSUS. I don't want to...
  7. WSUS server issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    WSUS server issue: In WSUS, we assigned a server to a specific group, and we can see it is in that group; however when I approved the updates to this group, all the other servers can detect the update except this server. But when I log in to the server, it could detect the update which has been...
  8. WSUS server Cannot connect to 'server'

WSUS server Cannot connect to 'server': Hi , In my WSUS server after windows OS patch and reboot When trying to connect I get the error " Cannot connect to 'server' Please make sure the Post-Installation task is completed successfully in that server. If it was please verify if the server is using another port or...
  9. WSUS Backup Server

WSUS Backup Server: Hi Guys, One of my customer wants Secondary Server for WSUS Server Similar to Secondary ( Backup ) Active Directory in case of Failure. Consider a scenario : There are two WSUS Server on same network One is active and other is Redundant(Cold Spare or Backup). Widows...
  10. Wsus server consulting

Wsus server consulting: Hello, IT Microsoft expert I have some issue with a new Wsus standalone deployment, below info: Infraestructure: Windows Server 2016 patch last update. WSUS suceed latest Sync Database is completly cleanup Destination computers info Windows 7 Windows 10 LTSB...