Windows 10: Support scam

Discus and support Support scam in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently asked Microsoft Support for help with a problem I was having with Outlook. I received one response and it was very helpful. The second... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MarkChorkawyj1, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Support scam

I recently asked Microsoft Support for help with a problem I was having with Outlook. I received one response and it was very helpful.

The second response I received claimed to be from Microsoft Technical Support. It was obviously someone working from home as you could hear children in the background. The end result was nothing but a sales pitch for hundreds of dollars to fix the problem.

The phone number was 1-888-5OO-9888. That's right, the number listed was 5OO not 500. Anyway, I refused to pay anything and that ended the "support" effort quickly.

Unfortunately, the person, Jacqueline Scott, asked for access to my computer at the start of the session to "diagnose" the problem and I allowed it. Obvious risk there.

I assume this was a non-Microsoft scam effort.

:)

MarkChorkawyj1, Jun 4, 2019
  2. Smeed Win User
  3. Smeed Win User

Support scam

Smeed, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

Support scam

1. Support scam - Similar Threads - Support scam

2. W10 Support phone number for Trojan malware--SCAM??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    W10 Support phone number for Trojan malware--SCAM??: while surfing on MS Edge a pop up window appeared indicating that my Firewall prevented an virus attack that will impact passwords, bank statement etc. And to call number 1.888.616.8566. I *67 the number and called it and the individual indicated that they work with MS...
  3. Support scam

in Windows 10 Customization
    Support scam: I recently asked Microsoft Support for help with a problem I was having with Outlook. I received one response and it was very helpful. The second response I received claimed to be from Microsoft Technical Support. It was obviously someone working from home as you could hear...
  4. I was scammed for 350 euro today with a so called support from micrsoft from...

I was scammed for 350 euro today with a so called support from micrsoft from...: I was scammed for 350 euro today with a so called support from Microsoft from www.support.me +I was called by telephone. I was called before from numbers in Estonia- They uploaded from distance 2 programs on my computer. they knew all my personalization before hand,...
  5. Unsolicited 'Microsoft Support' phone calls. Scam?

Unsolicited 'Microsoft Support' phone calls. Scam?: I have receive numerous calls claiming to be from Microsoft and that my W10 computer is at risk. Any info on this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unsolicited-microsoft-support-phone-calls-scam/b829a312-272b-4b69-be55-e8d91e4ddb5d"
  6. Microsoft support scam still in danger?

Microsoft support scam still in danger?: Hello. I accidentally entered in a website that took me to an alert page, wherein a false number was given to microsoft. I called the number. The voice on the other end directed me to hold down the 'r' key while pressing control. He then told me to enter something like...
  7. Today I was the intended victim of a fake support scam who said he was from Microsoft. Can...

in Cortana
    Today I was the intended victim of a fake support scam who said he was from Microsoft. Can...: Today I was the intended victim of a fake support scam using the Microsoft name. Help please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/today-i-was-the-intended-victim-of-a-fake-support/34614df1-e5a7-4ff8-8782-9fb7d46b44a3"
  8. IS DRIVER SUPPORT ACTIVE OPTIMIZATION A SCAM?

IS DRIVER SUPPORT ACTIVE OPTIMIZATION A SCAM?: IS DRIVER SUPPORT ACTIVE OPTIMIZATION A SCAM? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-driver-support-active-optimization-a-scam/bc1105b4-19e1-4f18-a108-d2ce8928b492"
  9. New breakthroughs in combatting tech support scams

in Windows 10 News
    New breakthroughs in combatting tech support scams: On Nov. 27 and 28, over 100 local India law enforcement officials from Gurgaon and Noida raided 16 call center locations identified as engaged in tech support fraud by Microsoft, resulting in 39 arrests so far. These call center operations fraudulently represented themselves...
  10. I have paid for support from 855-700-0290, looks like it was a scam. How do I get out of it.

I have paid for support from 855-700-0290, looks like it was a scam. How do I get out of it.: How do I remove the scam once I have paid money for them to fix the issues. It would like to remove the intrusive software... I was an idiot for not catching on to the scam... What do I need to do to retain my privacy.. including my credit card # and other information stored...