Windows 10: Support scam

Discus and support Support scam in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently asked Microsoft Support for help with a problem I was having with Outlook. I received one response and it was very helpful. The second... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MarkChorkawyj1, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Support scam

I recently asked Microsoft Support for help with a problem I was having with Outlook. I received one response and it was very helpful.

The second response I received claimed to be from Microsoft Technical Support. It was obviously someone working from home as you could hear children in the background. The end result was nothing but a sales pitch for hundreds of dollars to fix the problem.

The phone number was 1-888-5OO-9888. That's right, the number listed was 5OO not 500. Anyway, I refused to pay anything and that ended the "support" effort quickly.

Unfortunately, the person, Jacqueline Scott, asked for access to my computer at the start of the session to "diagnose" the problem and I allowed it. Obvious risk there.

I assume this was a non-Microsoft scam effort.

:)

MarkChorkawyj1, Jun 4, 2019
  2. Smeed Win User
  3. Smeed Win User

Support scam

Smeed, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

Support scam

1. Support scam - Similar Threads - Support scam

2. Is This a Legitimate Tech Support Operation or Was My Husband Scammed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is This a Legitimate Tech Support Operation or Was My Husband Scammed: My husband contacted me today while I was out and said his computer had been hacked and hit with spyware. He did not call the number on his computer screen but instead got on his phone and googled what he thought was a Microsoft support phone number 888-387-4005 and that he...
  3. Is This a Legitimate Tech Support Operation or Was My Husband Scammed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is This a Legitimate Tech Support Operation or Was My Husband Scammed: My husband contacted me today while I was out and said his computer had been hacked and hit with spyware. He did not call the number on his computer screen but instead got on his phone and googled what he thought was a Microsoft support phone number 888-387-4005 and that he...
  4. Report possible Microsoft support scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Report possible Microsoft support scam: So I'm reluctantly posting this because it seems impossible to talk to an actual human at Microsoft. I am trying to report a possible Microsoft support scam that appears when searching Microsoft support number on google, and judging by how difficult it is to actually talk to...
  5. Report possible Microsoft support scam

Report possible Microsoft support scam: So I'm reluctantly posting this because it seems impossible to talk to an actual human at Microsoft. I am trying to report a possible Microsoft support scam that appears when searching Microsoft support number on google, and judging by how difficult it is to actually talk to...
  6. tech support scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    tech support scam: We are working to clear up a tech support scam. The scammer was connected to us after calling the number listed for MS tech support. Here is the contact infor for the person we talked to who ran us through a scan using UltraView software. After that the person transferrred us...
  7. tech support scam

tech support scam: We are working to clear up a tech support scam. The scammer was connected to us after calling the number listed for MS tech support. Here is the contact infor for the person we talked to who ran us through a scan using UltraView software. After that the person transferrred us...
  8. I recently encountered a Microsoft support ad scam. How do I make sure I haven't been affected?

I recently encountered a Microsoft support ad scam. How do I make sure I haven't been affected?: Hello,Recently, as I was browsing the internet, my browser suddenly sent me to a suspicious site with a bunch of popups saying that my PC was infected and to click here or call a number to get help. I did not click on anything and left the site as soon as I possibly could,...
  9. I recently encountered a Microsoft support ad scam. How do I make sure I haven't been affected?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I recently encountered a Microsoft support ad scam. How do I make sure I haven't been affected?: Hello,Recently, as I was browsing the internet, my browser suddenly sent me to a suspicious site with a bunch of popups saying that my PC was infected and to click here or call a number to get help. I did not click on anything and left the site as soon as I possibly could,...
  10. Microsoft support agent gave me scam phone number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft support agent gave me scam phone number: I am trying to figure out what just happened. As someone who consider themselves very tech savy, I am not sure if this was a complex scam or what. I typically know how to navigate customer service calls and due to the nature of my job, have had to do this for many years. I...