Windows 10: Surface 3 Clean Install

Discus and support Surface 3 Clean Install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Everyone I have recently upgraded my Surface 3 to Windows 10 and I wish to do a clean install, to install a fresh copy of windows without having... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ellellell1, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Surface 3 Clean Install

Hi Everyone

I have recently upgraded my Surface 3 to Windows 10 and I wish to do a clean install, to install a fresh copy of windows without having all the old data from Windows 8.1. Would I be fine following, "How to do a clean install" tutorial via Ten Forums or would there be a different process for doing this for a Surface?

I am guessing since its basically a mini laptop I would just follow the same steps? I have made a boot-able USB for this. Also would my Surface automatically activate or should I note down the product key just in case it doesn't?

Thanks

:)

ellellell1, Apr 11, 2016
  2. stanimal21, Apr 11, 2016
  3. JeffR626 Win User
    Clean install of Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

If you don't plan on going back to win 8.1, you should be able to delete all the partitions.

Windows 10 setup will rebuild the partitions it needs.

JeffR626, Apr 11, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Surface 3 Clean Install

Brink, Apr 12, 2016
  5. Thanks Shawn *Smile.

I don't actually have the Surface Pro 3.
    Just the Surface 3 but I found drivers for this here.

ellellell1, Apr 12, 2016
  6. I've done it numerous times. You'll need to create a flash drive unless you have an external USB CD/DVD drive, but the rest of the steps are identical.

DeaconFrost, Apr 12, 2016
  7. Great! Thanks

ellellell1, Apr 13, 2016
  8. Metalman Win User

Surface 3 Clean Install

Metalman, Apr 14, 2016
  9. Thank you!

Also people who are wondering how to boot from USB on Surface: Boot from USB Surface

EDIT: To control menu's drop downs etc... I plugged both my USB and a mouse into a 4 port usb hub to work my way through the setup. To my knowledge the setup menu can't be controlled any other way.

ellellell1, Apr 17, 2016
  10. I have come up to the custom installation step and I can see "Drive 0 Parition 4: Windows RE tools."

Should I keep this partition? Or if I remove all partitions, will it create a new one?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have re-read guide and can see how to deal with Windows RE tools.

ellellell1, Apr 17, 2016
  11. A7X808 Win User
    Bumping this up!

The info here was helpful in doing a clean install on a recently purchased Surface Pro 3. I was having problems updating to the current version of 10 because of a conflict with the USB driver.

My install was a little different as I did not have to download the Pro 3 drivers beforehand. The touch screen was working during usb boot/install and all drivers were automatically updated after the installation was complete.

A7X808, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Surface 3 Clean Install

1. Surface 3 Clean Install - Similar Threads - Surface Clean Install

2. Clean install on used Microsoft Surface

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install on used Microsoft Surface: My old Microsoft Surface is failing. I am looking at buying a used Microsoft Surface online, but it does not include an operating system. Can I install Windows without having to purchase a new license?...
  3. Clean install on used Microsoft Surface

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install on used Microsoft Surface: My old Microsoft Surface is failing. I am looking at buying a used Microsoft Surface online, but it does not include an operating system. Can I install Windows without having to purchase a new license?...
  4. Surface Laptop 3 stuck in install loop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Laptop 3 stuck in install loop.: My Surface Laptop 3 is stuck in a loop, trying to reset laptop, it was unable to complete Windows install, so now it just keeps asking to restart over and over, it just turns off for like 3 seconds and says to restart still. Turning it off doesn't do anything. Please help!...
  5. Installing windows 10 on a Surface Laptop 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing windows 10 on a Surface Laptop 3: I wiped out my surface laptop 3 using the Microsoft Surface Data Eraser, not knowing that it would also wipe out the windows 10. Regardless, i have a windows 10 installer in two different USBs, and everytime i boot from either, the windows setup screen comes up...and that's...
  6. Installing windows 10 on a Surface Laptop 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing windows 10 on a Surface Laptop 3: I wiped out my surface laptop 3 using the Microsoft Surface Data Eraser, not knowing that it would also wipe out the windows 10. Regardless, i have a windows 10 installer in two different USBs, and everytime i boot from either, the windows setup screen comes up...and that's...
  7. Installing windows 10 on a Surface Laptop 3

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Surface 3 Windows 10 Clean Install touch son't work

Surface 3 Windows 10 Clean Install touch son't work: I try perform a clean install of Windows 10 on Surface 3 and the touchscreen during setup dont work. I can boot the Windows 10 pendrive (Surface 3 only have 1 USB). i see the options like, language and next option but the touchscreen don't work and i cant proceed because i...
  9. Windows 10 clean instalation from USB: Cannot detect the SSD on my Surface 3.

Windows 10 clean instalation from USB: Cannot detect the SSD on my Surface 3.: I am currently at the stage where I'm asked "Where do you want to install Windows". My choice of locations is currently blank. I do have the choice to "load driver", but I have no idea where such a driver would be located. I've searched around and can find no information...
  10. Clean install W10 on Surface Pro

Clean install W10 on Surface Pro: While clean installing W10 on Surface Pro, the following message was returned. Pressed Windows key but nothing happened. The bootable USB install drive was created by Media Creation Tool from MS. I also tried Recovery USB drive created from the Surface Pro machine but the...