Windows 10: Surface 3 set to sleep on battery and plug, but when watching videos will stay on all night.

Discus and support Surface 3 set to sleep on battery and plug, but when watching videos will stay on all night. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have my Surface 3 set to sleep after 30 minutes to use when watching videos at night. It does not go to sleep but is still running when I wake up in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Microsoft Wife, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Surface 3 set to sleep on battery and plug, but when watching videos will stay on all night.

I have my Surface 3 set to sleep after 30 minutes to use when watching videos at night. It does not go to sleep but is still running when I wake up in morning.

:)

Microsoft Wife, Mar 30, 2019

2. Surface Pro 3 - Plugged in but not charging

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have better clarity on the issue, answer the below listed questions and get back to us.

1. Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    2. Which update did you install before this issue occurred?
    3. What is the version of your Windows 10 computer? (To check the version of your Windows 10, click on

this
      link).

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting methods and see if this helps.

Before trying the below troubleshooting methods, restart your Surface 2 to 3 times and see if the Surface is charging.

Method 1: Windows Updates.

Check if your Windows is up-to-date by going to
    Settings > Update and Security > Windows Updates and install all the Windows Updates if there are any.

Method 2: Disconnect all external devices from your Surface Pro 3.

First, shutdown your Surface and then try disconnecting all external devices from your Surface like Surface case, keyboard cover, anything from the USB ports, and any micro SD card.

Once you have disconnected all the external devices, turn on your Surface and see if you are able to charge the Surface and try connecting each external device.

Method 3: Uninstall the Battery Drivers.

Step 1: Click on the
    Start Menu
    and search for Device Manager and open
    Device Manager

Step 2: Then, double click on
    Battery and Uninstall all the drivers under Battery section.

Step 3: Once you have Uninstalled the battery drivers, restart the Surface once for the battery drivers to be installed automatically and check for the issue.

Method 4: Check the Power Adapter and the Wall Plug.

Take a look at the Wall Plug and try changing the Wall Plug because sometimes it is possible for a low-voltage condition to be present where power is flowing, but not as much as there should be.

Also, check the Power Adapter cord is firmly seated and also try flipping the power connector upside down because it is possible that there’s some invisible damage to the connector and only one side is working. Once
    you flip it over, wait for 10 to 15 minutes and see if it starts charging.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Mar 30, 2019
  3. surface pro 3 windows 10 - sleep WITHOUT playback and turning back on

Thanks for the quick response. I can only complete up to step 3 of your instructions. The only plan listed is "Balanced". I tried to create my own plan, but the only options available for me to define are turn off display and put computer to sleep times,
    and screen brightness, for on battery and plugged in. Currently it's set to turn off screen and sleep after 5 min on battery, never when plugged in. I can also access the actions for closing lid and power button, close lid when plugged in is set to do nothing
    and the other 3 options are set to sleep. Finally I can open a "change advanced power settings" window but there are no options related to media. I've tried following the 'tell me more about power plans' link but it won't open.

kiara.fayy, Mar 30, 2019
  4. Surface 3 set to sleep on battery and plug, but when watching videos will stay on all night.

Shafeeq_Khan, Mar 30, 2019
Thema:

Surface 3 set to sleep on battery and plug, but when watching videos will stay on all night.

1. Surface 3 set to sleep on battery and plug, but when watching videos will stay on all night. - Similar Threads - Surface set sleep

2. When plugged in, battery saver turns off, but the screen brightness stays at the battery...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When plugged in, battery saver turns off, but the screen brightness stays at the battery...: For my laptop Lenovo Ideapad Slim 5i, I have these battery saver set so that it turns on at 20% and lowers the brightness of my screen when it turns on.Then, whenever I plug it in to charge, the battery saver turns off--this is normalMy main issue is that when the battery...
  3. When plugged in, battery saver turns off, but the screen brightness stays at the battery...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When plugged in, battery saver turns off, but the screen brightness stays at the battery...: For my laptop Lenovo Ideapad Slim 5i, I have these battery saver set so that it turns on at 20% and lowers the brightness of my screen when it turns on.Then, whenever I plug it in to charge, the battery saver turns off--this is normalMy main issue is that when the battery...
  4. no sound when watching a video

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no sound when watching a video: lost my sound on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sound-when-watching-a-video/8c025b58-5204-4fc9-a312-016cfd978439
  5. Is it safe to keep my surface laptop 3 plugged in all the time?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it safe to keep my surface laptop 3 plugged in all the time?: Hello, I recently just bought the surface laptop 3. I want to maximize my battery power and I was wondering if it's safe to keep the laptop plugged in all the time?...
  6. Surface Laptop 3 Battery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Laptop 3 Battery: Hi, I've recently bought: Microsoft 13.5 Intel Core i5 Surface Laptop 3 - 256GB - Black Advertised at 11.5 hours battery life, along with an expensive pricetag, I seem to be averaging about 5 hours of normal use litteraly microsoft edge and microsoft word. Any advice?...
  7. Improve Battery Life when watching Movies and Videos on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Improve Battery Life when watching Movies and Videos on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you always find that your Windows 10 device’s battery lasts for a shorter time than you expected, you can optimize Windows 10 for better battery life – especially while watching videos and movies on battery power. Improve Battery Life [...] This post...
  8. surface pro 3 will not stay on, always sleeps after inactivity

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    surface pro 3 will not stay on, always sleeps after inactivity: I have a surface pro 3. I use it to run a 3d printer. I would like for my surface to remain on, and not go to the lock screen after inactivity. I have changed everything I can find on this subject, however it still locks after so long with no activity. How can this be...
  9. Surface Pro 3 - Plugged in but not charging

Surface Pro 3 - Plugged in but not charging: Hello, I am having an issues that it seems MANY people have also had. My Surface Pro 3 only works when plugged in and when I remove AC power, it shuts off immediately. It reads "0% available (plugged in, not charging)." I have read countless threads on with this issues and I...
  10. Surface Pro 3 BSOD when Idle/Sleeping

Surface Pro 3 BSOD when Idle/Sleeping: I have a Surface Pro 3 and it has an issue where when it sleeps, it will crash and power off. There is a critical Kernel-Power event (41) whenever this happens, and sometimes it's accompanied by a BSOD, other times it's not - The BSOD bugcheck message does seem to vary...