Windows 10: Surface Activation problems after imaging

Discus and support Surface Activation problems after imaging in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all! This isn't a major issue by any means just an annoying one that i have only ran into twice now ever. I will image the device boot into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TTM_Tech, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TTM_Tech Win User

Surface Activation problems after imaging

Hi all!

This isn't a major issue by any means just an annoying one that i have only ran into twice now ever.

I will image the device boot into Windows go into settings where it will state i am running Windows 10 Pro. Despite the image being made on a Surface Pro 6 running Windows 10 Home and being deployed on a Surface pro 6 with a Home license tied to it Fresh out of box and none of these are business editions.

After Running the activation troubleshooter i am greeted with "We have found a windows 10 home license on this device running windows 10 pro". i also get activation error 0xC004C008.. Which the key is OEM tied to the device and as i previously said these are imaged fresh out of the box and obviously i'm not changing hardware.

If i Fresh install windows or do OOBE it recognizes as home just fine and doesn't have any activation issues.

Just wondering if anyone has an idea, solution or has seen this themselves before.

Thanks!

:)

TTM_Tech, Jan 21, 2020

2. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Jan 21, 2020
  3. System Image Problem

I'm getting a head start in case you get on early.

Can you post camera pics to your thread from your phone?

There will be steps later that require attention to detail and I'd feel better if I could see what's on your screen. I had to try the steps more than once when I tested the process and I'd like to avoid that on your machine.

Here's what I'd like to do for the Macrium Rescue steps later on in the process
    I'll post the the step, you'll post an picture of the Macrium screen,
    I'll echo same screen back if I see something that needs changing or I'll just say Go Ahead

When I confirm that the Macrium screen, you'll make any changes I've highlighted and THEN execute the step

Here's where you begin today's session, we'll get as far as we get and then pick up when you get back home.

Step 1: Safeguard the System Image by moving it to a new folder

1. Connect the Seagate exp drive

2. File Explorer: Navigate to the Seagate drive

3. Create a new Folder named 1_sysImage

4. Move WindowsImageBackup to 1_sysImage

Step 2: List the VHDs in the System Image

1. File Explorer: Navigate to 1_sysImage\WindowsImageBackup\machineName\Backup date-time

2. Press the Type column to sort by Type

3. Post a screen shot

Slartybart, Jan 21, 2020
  4. Surface Activation problems after imaging

[HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

Surface Activation problems after imaging

1. Surface Activation problems after imaging - Similar Threads - Surface Activation problems

2. Re-Imaging Surface Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-Imaging Surface Pro: Hi Reimaged surface pro 8 with Acronis true image and now both the devices are having same Device ID.How can we change the device ID of the surface pro or is it normal to have the same Device ID after doing recovery from a backup ???Please advise !!!!!!...
  3. Re-Imaging Surface Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-Imaging Surface Pro: Hi Reimaged surface pro 8 with Acronis true image and now both the devices are having same Device ID.How can we change the device ID of the surface pro or is it normal to have the same Device ID after doing recovery from a backup ???Please advise !!!!!!...
  4. ERROR - Surface Recovery Image Download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ERROR - Surface Recovery Image Download: I'm trying to download a recovery image but I keep getting "An error occurred please try again."My serial number is correct, and I've tried this on multiple browsers:Is this a temporary issue? Is there any other way to get the recovery image files?...
  5. ERROR - Surface Recovery Image Download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ERROR - Surface Recovery Image Download: I'm trying to download a recovery image but I keep getting "An error occurred please try again."My serial number is correct, and I've tried this on multiple browsers:Is this a temporary issue? Is there any other way to get the recovery image files?...
  6. Images not showing on Surface Book

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Images not showing on Surface Book: So I recently cleaned up the files on my surface book to make more storage space. I was constantly running into the problem where my scratch disks were full for any of my adobe software. I believe I may have deleted something essential in the process, because every time I...
  7. Problems with images

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problems with images: سلام: مدتی پس از نصب ویندوز 10 ، هنگام پخش فیلم در یوتیوب و غیره ، یا یک خط عمودی در وسط تصویر ظاهر می شود و تصویر را به دو قسمت تقسیم می کند ، اکثر موارد https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problems-with-images/5aaa29e4-feb4-44ba-9d35-36593fc36ddb
  8. Problems with images

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems with images: Hello: Some time after installing Windows 10, when the video is played on YouTube, etc., or a vertical line appears in the middle of the image and divides the image into two parts, most of the time the two images are higher or lower than each other. This problem also exists...
  9. Problem with activating Windows 10 Pro on Surface Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Problem with activating Windows 10 Pro on Surface Pro: Hi, I have a Surface Pro which had Windows 10 Home edition. I bought the Windows 10 Pro from the app store and the product the not activating. It shows error code 0x803F7001. When I try to put earlier product key by pressing Change product key, it shows error code...
  10. Windows Activation Problem after transfer a system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Activation Problem after transfer a system image: Hi all, I have a computer room with 8 Computers - all have exactly the same hardware. I have installed on all computers windows 10 and activated it and connected my Microsoft Account to the activation. In my Microsoft Account all 8 Computers are listed. I have installed...