Windows 10: Surface blossoms into a billion dollar business for M$

Discus and support Surface blossoms into a billion dollar business for M$ in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft announced its earnings today and for the first times since going on-sale, the Surface line of devices is officially a billion dollar channel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Jan 26, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Surface blossoms into a billion dollar business for M$

More

labeeman, Jan 26, 2015

2. I don't believe anyone ever said the surface pro wasn't nice all I remember was it was grossly over priced for the actual disk size options = narrow market field.

:)

ThrashZone, Jan 26, 2015
  3. Windows 10 print spooler will not stay running

I totally agree! A multi-billion dollar company which can not keep the customer happy usually find themselves closed down for lack of business.

RussKnudsen, Jan 26, 2015
  4. Surface blossoms into a billion dollar business for M$

Windows DVD Player - Windows 10

Microsoft chose to stop paying royalites for the codecs they were providing. Even at few dollars a piece for a half billion giveaways of Windows 10 it would cost them in excess of a billion dollars in royalties.

Cbarnhorst, Jan 26, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    You're not just paying for storage. You're paying for a decent processor (up to an i3, i5 or i7), memory 4 or 8GB, storage 64 to 512GB SSD, a 12" ultra high res touch screen with 2160 x 1440 resolution, a built-in Wacom tablet with pen (this isn't just a capacitive stylus, it uses a magnetic field for high resolution), Ambient Light Sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer, 9 hour battery life...

All in 2.4 pounds. You add all that up (if you can even get it) in a laptop or desktop and your price isn't going to be that vastly different. It doesn't have a spinner disk, so it's limited to SSD sizes only. This is no cheapo android tablet.

The cheap model, 64GB SSD, i3, 4G Ram is $799. That may seem expensive, but it's got all the rest of the goodies mentioned.. and that's where the majority of the price comes from. Likewise, the i7, 512GB, 8GB seems high at $1949, but a 512GB SSD is 4-500 alone. The mobile ultra-low power i7 is another $500. That's $1000 just in those two components.

Yeah, if all you're doing is comparing tablet specs by disk size, then yeah it's expensive... but you're not buying it because of its disk size, you're buying it because it's a powerful desktop PC in tablet form factor, with high end features like a Wacom tablet built in.

Mystere, Jan 26, 2015
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    No wonder - at those prices the till fills fast.

7. Yea expensive lower end model portable yes but a narrow market at those prices *Wink

ThrashZone, Jan 26, 2015
  8. EMINENT Win User

Looking at a comparable Android offering, the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 at $700+, I think the choice is clear, it's not even comparable. Surface by miles.

EMINENT, Jan 26, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

hate to rub it in !!!!!!! But I TOLD YOU SO. I was getting rubbished when I said beautiful device - will do very well in spite of the price. I just LOVE my one --would I buy another --you bet (might need those 6 numbers on the Euromillions on Friday to come up though !!!).

Ms has got this device just about right - powerful enough for serious work, convertible form factor is brilliant. In fact it's only at the same sort of pricepoint as APPLE hardware and APPLE sells stuff by the shedload.

I would love it to be cheaper of course but don't compromise on the quality. BTW if you DO get one a Docking station is a MUST if you want to use it as a serious desktop or even as heavy duty laptop.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 26, 2015
  10. Superfly Win User
    The only competition is Chromebook Pixel but that's even more expensive *Rolleyes

Superfly, Jan 26, 2015
  11. adamf Win User
    The only competition is Chromebook Pixel but that's even more expensive *Rolleyes Note sure about that. I got a MacBook Pro instead of SP3 not because it was better, only it was cheaper. I'd have got the SP3 if I could have. The Pixel is not really to be discussed at the same time.

adamf, Jan 26, 2015
  12. The only competition is Chromebook Pixel but that's even more expensive *Rolleyes Agree!

Fahadking07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Surface blossoms into a billion dollar business for M$ - Similar Threads - Surface blossoms billion

2. New Surface Pro 7+ for Business

in Windows 10 News
    New Surface Pro 7+ for Business: Surface Pro 7+ for Business, the latest generation of the class defining Surface 2-in-1 delivers next level performance and versatility to commercial enterprises and educational institutions. [ATTACH] Key differences with Surface Pro 7+ for Business: Removable SSD with...
  3. Billions upon billions of OpenWith.exe processes...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Billions upon billions of OpenWith.exe processes...: OK, not really billions, but probably like 100+ "OpenWith.exe" processes keep popping up over time. This has been happening since I built my new machine. I don't recall this happening with my previous build and I am at a loss as to why this is happening at all. I've scanned...
  4. How many dollars?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How many dollars?: Using expression web 4 many years now with windows 7 and now 10. For whatever reason I cannot hyperlink so using a mouse cursor over text a word pops up an image. How much to fix? A bigger problem is do I pay before I see results or what? Thanks...
  5. What is new in Surface for Business

in Windows 10 News
    What is new in Surface for Business: As we discussed in our last Surface for Business blog, the Surface for Business portfolio is tailored specifically for commercial and education customers. We are constantly listening to and learning from our customers and have an amazing team dedicated to continually...
  6. Facebook Designing Security for Billions

in Windows 10 News
    Facebook Designing Security for Billions: [ATTACH] By Collin Greene, Manager of Product Security Billions of people use Facebook to connect with the people who matter to them. We have a responsibility to build secure services that help keep people safe. At Facebook we take what’s called a “defense-in-depth”...
  7. Introducing the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit for Business

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit for Business: We’re pleased to announce the availability of the Microsoft Surface Diagnostic Toolkit for Business (SDT), designed to restore Surface devices to full productivity faster. Built with advanced diagnostics, logging, and repair capabilities, SDT enables IT admins to quickly...
  8. Upgraded 7 to 10 and now can't connect to Billion 7401VGP-M router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Upgraded 7 to 10 and now can't connect to Billion 7401VGP-M router: I thought it was a driver issue but I've updated drivers afaik and still no joy. The router is sitting a metre away from me but the HP Probook 4730s cannot see it. It sees my 5 neighbours' routers but not mine. I need ideas on what to look at to fix this. Currently connected...
  9. MS's '1 billion devices' goal has 73% of businesses planning to deploy

in Windows 10 News
    MS's '1 billion devices' goal has 73% of businesses planning to deploy: One billion. Without context, the number still manages to stand alone as impressively massive. However, in regards to Microsoft, the number stands as a reminder of a lofty promise towards a seemingly daunting accomplishment. This year, at Microsoft’s annual Build conference,...
  10. Surface on track to be Microsoft's next billion $ business

in Windows 10 News
    Surface on track to be Microsoft's next billion $ business: Looks like these might make some good business sense! $908 million last quarter revenue. I think we're going to see this grow with revision 4 and Broadwell. Great times! Microsoft's Q1 2015: Surface growing strongly and Lumia sales up | The Verge