Windows 10: Surface Book 2 SB2 in clamshell mode disables Windows Hello to be used with external webcam

Discus and support Surface Book 2 SB2 in clamshell mode disables Windows Hello to be used with external webcam in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have an external webcam Logitech BRIO - compatible with Windows Hello to be used when the SB2 is in clamshell mode connected to the Surface Dock with... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by ScottRegitz, May 2, 2020.

1. Surface Book 2 SB2 in clamshell mode disables Windows Hello to be used with external webcam

I have an external webcam Logitech BRIO - compatible with Windows Hello to be used when the SB2 is in clamshell mode connected to the Surface Dock with an external monitor, keyboard and mouse.. It never works when the lid is closed. The only way to use the BRIO webcam with Windows Hello is by opening the lid no clamshell mode, as soon as I close the lid no action in power settings when lid is closed, it is not going to sleep Windows Hello will be kind of deactivated and the BRIO webcam will not be detected. As soon as I open the lid, Windows Hello with the external BRIO webcam will work right away, coming from cold boot, resuming from sleep or hibernation, it always work. I think the SB2 is shutting down the Windows Hello system because it assumes the only camera is the built in. Is there a way to fix this behavior and allow the external camera to be used with Windows Hello as well with lid closed?

The entire reason I bought a clamshell, Dock and 40" 4k HD TV was so I could "dock" my machine when at the office/home and use it normally. I would like to be able to use Windows Hello when I sit down to work. You are currently allowing my phone to "lock" my PC when I walk away. Why can't I unlock my PC in clamshell mode ?

:)

ScottRegitz, May 2, 2020
  2. Logitusa Win User

Surface Book 2 (SB2) in clamshell mode disables Windows Hello to be used with external webcam

I have an external webcam (Logitech BRIO - compatible with Windows Hello) to be used when the SB2 is in clamshell mode (connected to the Surface Dock with an external monitor, keyboard and mouse.). It never works when the lid is closed. The only way
    to use the BRIO webcam with Windows Hello is by opening the lid (no clamshell mode), as soon as I close the lid (no action in power settings when lid is closed, it is not going to sleep) Windows Hello will be kind of deactivated and the BRIO webcam will not
    be detected. As soon as I open the lid, Windows Hello with the external BRIO webcam will work right away, coming from cold boot, resuming from sleep or hibernation, it always work. I think the SB2 is shutting down the Windows Hello system because it assumes
    the only camera is the built in. Is there a way to fix this behavior and allow the external camera to be used with Windows Hello as well with lid closed? To me this is a bug in the hardware or Windows 10, any thoughts? Thanks

NOTE: I am not sure if this is a Windows Hello (Windows 10 system) or a Surface Book issue, for that reason I have posted the question in both forums/communities

Logitusa, May 2, 2020
  3. Logitusa Win User
    Surface Book 2 (SB2) in clamshell mode disables Windows Hello to be used with external webcam

I disagree, it is not security, because If I just lift the lid 1/2 inch it will allow me to login using Windows Hello from the external BRIO webcam. Before I was using a pin to login, but I like the convenience of Windows Hello. To me this is a bug in
    Windows 10 or the Surface Book. I have posted a case in Feedback Hub, unfortunately If I am the only one with this setup there will be no up votes, meaning no engineer will ever spend time on this bug.

Logitusa, May 2, 2020
  4. Surface Book 2 SB2 in clamshell mode disables Windows Hello to be used with external webcam

I think that is more of a security measure by design. If you prefer to use the device in clamshell mode, you probably should authenticate first, then put it in clamshell mode or use a PIN/password for that particular setup.

You can submit feedback if you would like to see that improved. Press Windows key + F to open the Feedback hub then send in your suggestions.

Andre Da Costa, May 2, 2020
Thema:

Surface Book 2 SB2 in clamshell mode disables Windows Hello to be used with external webcam

1. Surface Book 2 SB2 in clamshell mode disables Windows Hello to be used with external webcam - Similar Threads - Surface Book SB2

2. Windows Hello stopped working on my Surface Book 2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Hello stopped working on my Surface Book 2: My Surface book 2 running Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 Installed on ‎2/‎24/‎2021 OS build 19042.844 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0 no longer does Windows Hello. TPM is fully activated and the drivers for Windows Hello are the latest....
  3. Windows Hello on Surface Book Not working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello on Surface Book Not working: Hello all I have a surface book 2 and all of a sudden the windows Hello camera has stopped logging me on. The acutal camera is working but Hello is not. I have tried to remove fascial data but when I try to set it back up, camera and my face comes on the screen but all...
  4. Surface Book 2 Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface Book 2 Ethernet: Hi I have a Surface Book 2 and a Surface Dock, recently my ethernet LAN just disappear not sure why. I have tried rebooting, surface diagnostic, change lan cable and tested lan cable in other device in it worked fine. but not on my SB2. I checked that there is no driver...
  5. Internet connection unstable during any video call - Surface Book 2 SB2

Internet connection unstable during any video call - Surface Book 2 SB2: Hey all, I've really been struggling with video calls the past month or two on my SB2. Meanwhile, my SB1 works flawlessly. Whether it's on Zoom, Teams, or Hangouts, my video and audio inevitably freeze, lag, and drop off on the SB2. Every Zoom call, about 10-30 seconds...
  6. Adding external webcam to Surface Book 3

Adding external webcam to Surface Book 3: I've reinstalled the logitech software and attached 2 different logitech webcams in every single USB on my laptop Surface Book 3 and restarted my laptop multiple times. My laptop knows the webcams are plugged in because I can see it on device list but all it says under it is...
  7. Surface Book 2, Cannot turn on Camera with Windows Hello

Surface Book 2, Cannot turn on Camera with Windows Hello: I have a Surface Book 2. When I wake it from sleep to the Windows Hello screen it frequently errors, saying it couldn't turn on the camera. I can then click on "sign in options" and select facial recognition from there, which works. All my drivers are up to date. I have it...
  8. Windows Hello has disappeared on Surface Book 2

Windows Hello has disappeared on Surface Book 2: Hi there, I was a member of the Insider program on my Surface Book 2 15", but a bug in the recent builds forced me to roll back to the creator's update with a fresh install. Most everything is working well now (much better than on the 19H1 builds), except that the ability...
  9. Surface Book 2

Surface Book 2: I am trying to run Flash files on my Surface Book 2 and have had no success. I have downloaded adobe flash. Is there something I need to do? Does Flash work on the Surface Book 2?...
  10. Disable the Detach Key for Surface Book 2

Disable the Detach Key for Surface Book 2: How can I disable the detach screen key on the keyboard on my Surface Book 2? I need to disable this keyboard key for now and be able to enable it when I need it....