Windows 10: Surface Devices Slow Shutdown & Hanging Office Programs After Updating to 1903.

Discus and support Surface Devices Slow Shutdown & Hanging Office Programs After Updating to 1903. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've updated four different Surface devices to 1903 (Surface 3, Surface Pro 3, Surface Go & Surface Laptop 1. Two issues that I've noticed with all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Dexman, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Dexman Win User

Surface Devices Slow Shutdown & Hanging Office Programs After Updating to 1903.

I've updated four different Surface devices to 1903 (Surface 3, Surface Pro 3, Surface Go & Surface Laptop 1. Two issues that I've noticed with all four devices is that the shut down process often (but not always) takes longer than what I'm used to experiencing. I click the shutdown icon in the Start Menu & confirm the action. At that point, the spinning circle icon appears.

So far so good.

What happens next is that the spinning circle will remain on the screen for what seems like a protracted amount of time. Eventually, an error message will faintly flash on the screen just as the computer powers off.

The issue seems to affect the logoff process. This is determined by splitting the shutdown action into the two individual steps (log off & shut down) The log off process is where the slowdown is happening. The power off is always very quick.

To add to the mystery, it seems that this problem, somehow, involves Microsoft Office programs.

Say for example, I'm using Excel or Word. I save my work, close Office and proceed to shut down. If the devices are slow to shut down, almost every time they are powered back up, the last used Office program will start up without being called for.

SFC /SCANNOW fails to detect any problems.

Executing "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" doesn't seem to make any difference.

I've even gone so far as to boot each of the four devices from their respective recovery drive multiple times as well as reload Office multiple times. All that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Now, if I power back up after a protracted shutdown and then power right back down, the devices will shut down without any undue slowness.

Because this is happening across multiple devices (4 of them) as opposed to a single unit, I can't really fault any one in particular. It looks to me like a problem with 1903.

The final Surface device I have access to (Surface Book 2) remains on 1809 and it doesn't experience this particular issue.

Is anyone else seeing this? Is this a known issue with 1903?

:)

Dexman, Jun 9, 2019
  2. greenfid Win User

Slow Shutdown after Upgrade to Windows 10 1903

Thanks Stephen, tried your suggestions but the Shutdown remains slow.

greenfid, Jun 9, 2019
  3. Mr. Soda Win User
    Program Manager Hangs On Shutdown

Thank you, I had planned to follow these steps today, but now I think I've figured it out. Ever since I performed a DDU clean install of my GTX 1060's drivers, updating them from 388.71 to 390.65 yesterday.
    Program Manger, whatever it was, no longer hangs on shutdown. In it's place,
    NvFBCPluginWindow hangs in the exact same way. I always do a clean install of my Display Drivers, uninstalling with Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode, then disconnecting my Ethernet entirely before installing the latest drivers
    from a USB stick to prevent Windows from trying to install them at the same time. So I guess until Program Manager starts to hang again I'll continue this discussion on the GeForce forums. If it does reoccur I'll immediately follow your linked steps & report
    back my findings. It's my suspicion that Program Manager was/is related to Nvidia or it was just falsely identified by Windows 10 & was their Plugin Window task hanging all along.

Mr. Soda, Jun 9, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

December Insider Slow update for Office Mobile on Windows 10 devices

Source: Announcing December Insider Slow update for Office Mobile on Windows - Microsoft Community

Brink, Jun 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Surface Devices Slow Shutdown & Hanging Office Programs After Updating to 1903. - Similar Threads - Surface Devices Slow

2. Office products slow after Windows 10, version 1903 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Office products slow after Windows 10, version 1903 update: My computer is less than a year old and was lightning fast until Windows update version 1903. The impact to most of the computer has been minimal but to office products they have become unbearably slow. Before that update, Office products were very quick. I am running...
  3. Slow boot and shutdown after updating to 1903

Slow boot and shutdown after updating to 1903: I've updated my windows from 1803 to 1903 yesterday and have noticed starting up my PC took significant longer. Usually it takes 10-15 seconds from completely off to the login screen but after the update the PC will show a black screen after the boot loading screen and stays...
  4. slow boot after 1903 update

slow boot after 1903 update: Hello, I have a laptop with SSD and HDD. SSD is used as a system disk and HDD is for storage. Recently I updated my Windows 10 Home 1703 version directly to 1903 version and the update installed some files on my HDD instead of SSD. The problem that occurs now is a slow boot...
  5. slow running pc after 1903 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    slow running pc after 1903 update: Hi. I installed the Windows 10 May 1903 update a few weeks ago. My pc has been really slow and I'm trying to figure out if the two things are linked. Has anyone else experienced this? How can I work out if the update is the cause?...
  6. Slow Shutdown after Upgrade to Windows 10 1903

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow Shutdown after Upgrade to Windows 10 1903: I upgraded my Dell Optiplex desktop to Windows 10 1903 and noticed that the time to shutdown had increased from about 10 seconds to around 90 seconds. I reverted back to 1809 but still have the long shutdown period. I have tried, updating graphics and audio drivers,...
  7. Devices hang after windows updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Devices hang after windows updates: Hi We have multiple devices (mixture of Dell Latitude laptops and Microsoft Surface Pros) that hang on restart after installing Windows updates. We will just get either a Microsoft logo (on Surface Pro) or Dell Logo (on laptops) along with a spinning icon. It never goes past...
  8. slow program starts, Slow boot, slow shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    slow program starts, Slow boot, slow shutdown: Windows Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48) From switch-on to desktop start-up sound takes nearly two minutes, and after that there's still a lot of disc activity. Shutdown is equally slow. Once the system has started it takes 30 seconds after clicking on an MP3 icon for VLC...
  9. Slow boot, slow shutdown, and slow program starts.

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow boot, slow shutdown, and slow program starts.: Windows Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48) From switch-on to desktop start-up sound takes nearly two minutes, and after that there's still a lot of disc activity. Shutdown is equally slow. Once the system has started it takes 30 seconds after clicking on an MP3 icon for VLC...
  10. Computer Hangs at Startup After Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Hangs at Startup After Shutdown: My system "hangs" after I Shut Down and then start back up. It doesn't occur when I Restart the system. * It "Hangs " when it gets to the black screen with the blue Windows logo in the center. I've waited a half an hour and remained hung. The "round working dots (for lack...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface pro 6 is slow after 1903 upgrade