Windows 10: Surface displays "Shutting Down"

Discus and support Surface displays "Shutting Down" in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My Surface Pro is one of the originals. It is running Windows 10 Pro Insider. For the last hour it has been displaying "Shutting Down" with the dotted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Bernard Liengme, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Surface displays "Shutting Down"

My Surface Pro is one of the originals. It is running Windows 10 Pro Insider.

For the last hour it has been displaying "Shutting Down" with the dotted wheel circulating.

If I switch off the power, the same message shows when I repower the unit.

Any suggestions for getting it to either close down totally or to reboot?

Thanks

:)

Bernard Liengme, Oct 21, 2019

2. Issues with the display of the Surface Pro 4 in Windows 10

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience caused to you regarding the display of the surface pro. I will certainly assist you.

Please answer the below question to assist you better.

Did you make any changes in the Display settings prior to this issue?

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the display drivers on the system from the manufacturing website and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Steps to uninstall the Display Drivers.

• Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.
    • Click on “Device Manager” from that list.
    • Search for the Display driver from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that
      and then remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and then restart the computer and install the latest driver from the manufacturer website.
    I also suggest you to refer the link on How do I fix desktop app display issues? For Surface and check if it helps.

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...indows-store/app-display-issues?os=windows-10

Hope this helps regarding the display of the surface. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Oct 21, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, Surface displays "Shutting Down" :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Oct 21, 2019
  4. Surface displays "Shutting Down"

Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Oct 21, 2019
Thema:

Surface displays "Shutting Down"

1. Surface displays "Shutting Down" - Similar Threads - Surface displays Shutting

2. pc no display after shutting down?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    pc no display after shutting down?: i closed my pc by shutting it down and when i tried opening it again it has no display i reseated the ram and bios nothing works tried removing gpu and using motherboard still no display?pc sepcsprocessor i7 9700gpu getforce rtx 1650more details in the pic i took before it...
  3. pc no display after shutting down?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc no display after shutting down?: i closed my pc by shutting it down and when i tried opening it again it has no display i reseated the ram and bios nothing works tried removing gpu and using motherboard still no display?pc sepcsprocessor i7 9700gpu getforce rtx 1650more details in the pic i took before it...
  4. pc no display after shutting down?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My display randomly shuts down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My display randomly shuts down.: Hello, I ran into very annoying problem. My monitor suddenly shuts down, no mouse pointer, no desktop visible - just black screen with message "No Signal from DP device". It does not take a specific amount of time or specific application to turn off, it seems random. However...
  6. My display randomly shuts down.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My display randomly shuts down.: Hello, I ran into very annoying problem. My monitor suddenly shuts down, no mouse pointer, no desktop visible - just black screen with message "No Signal from DP device". It does not take a specific amount of time or specific application to turn off, it seems random. However...
  7. My Surface Pro 6 will not shut down

My Surface Pro 6 will not shut down: My Surface Pro 6, running Windows 10, is stuck on the sign out screen. Little circle just keeps swirling and swirling. I have tried holding down the power button. The screen flickers, but nothing else happens. I have removed the power cord, the external drive and the...
  8. surface 3 laptop not shutting down completely

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    surface 3 laptop not shutting down completely: My surface 3 laptop is not shutting down completely. when I shut it down, I get the blue shutdown screen, then the black blank screen, and I think it is shut down and I close the lid. but when I come back to my laptop minutes after, it would be boiling hot, with the lid...
  9. Surface Pro continually shutting down

Surface Pro continually shutting down: My surface Pro continually shuts down every two minutes or less regardless of sleep and shut down times selected for battery and plugged in operation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-continually-shutting-down/e37063eb-d33c-41a4-893f-202467a342a3
  10. Shut down display

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Shut down display: I have a problem and I don't know what to do. How can I get to turn my display to turn off. It did have a power indicater in the lower right corner and could click on it and it would should down now it will not turn off. 120009

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface display shuts