Windows 10: Surface Go 2: Touch Keyboard does not appear automatically in OneNote 2016

Discus and support Surface Go 2: Touch Keyboard does not appear automatically in OneNote 2016 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just bought a Surface Go 2, and am running OneNote 2016, and am encountering a few issues. Namely, the keyboard does not show up in tablet mode when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Chelsea L Faber, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Surface Go 2: Touch Keyboard does not appear automatically in OneNote 2016

I just bought a Surface Go 2, and am running OneNote 2016, and am encountering a few issues. Namely, the keyboard does not show up in tablet mode when a device keyboard is not attached.

I've tried both of the troubleshooting suggestions in this thread to no avail:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...n Center >All Settings,device" and set to ON.

The "automatically show touch keyboard" option listed below does not exist in my settings menu.

• Open Action Center >All Settings > Devices > Typing > Touch Keyboard.
    • Go to "Automatically show the touch keyboard in windowed apps when there's no keyboard attached to your device" and set to ON.

I would greatly appreciate a solution, as I will FREQUENTLY be using OneNote in tablet mode, and will not always have a keyboard!!

Thank you

Chelsea

Moved from: OneNote / Windows 10 / Office 2016

:)

Chelsea L Faber, Aug 3, 2020

2. Surface Pro 3 touch keyboard not appear automatically

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

I would suggest you to update the keyboard drivers and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to update the Keyboard drivers:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.

2. Expand the Keyboard.

3. Right-click on the Keyboard driver and click on Update driver software.

4. Restart the computer and check.

Also, I suggest you to refer the below article on "How to use the Surface touch keyboard" and see if it helps.

Official Home of Microsoft Surface Computers, Laptops, PCs, 2-in-1’s & Devices – Microsoft Surface

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Aug 3, 2020
  3. amimeu Win User
    Touch keyboard does not appear automatically (Windows 10)

Hi,

I am trying to set touch keyboard on two PCs Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB (1607) with no success.

Both PCs are identical with working touch screens.

I have set the setting: "Automatically show the touch keyboard when not in tablet mode and there’s no keyboard attached to your device." on (under Devices > Typing).

I have set "Show touch keyboard button" enabled on task bar.

The service "Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service" is running
    as well as dependent services.

Also osk.exe works well (but this is not a solution because it appears and stays always on top).

I can see touch keyboard button on task bar in both modes: desktop and tablet. I can use it and keyboard does appear.

But the keyboard does not appear automatically when I touch any typing field e.g. search or Internet Explorer address bar...

Can anybody help me with that?

amimeu, Aug 3, 2020
  4. buddy267 Win User

Surface Go 2: Touch Keyboard does not appear automatically in OneNote 2016

Touch keyboard not appearing in Windows 10

Hi Sean-o NZ,

I had the same problem. The touch keyboard would not work any more. I had not changed anything other then updating windows 10. I found the solution to the problem Here Windows
    10 touch keyboard not popping up? Fix it!

"How to make the Windows 10 touch keyboard pop up automatically:
    • Press WinKey + R to pop up the “Run” menu and enter services.msc

Surface Go 2: Touch Keyboard does not appear automatically in OneNote 2016 open-services-windows-10.png

• Hit OK and you will reach the Services panel. There in the list, find Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service.
    • Right click and select Properties. In the General tab, change the Startup Type to Automatic or Automatic (Delayed Start). Either of those will do.
    • Now check if the keyboard pops up when you try to enter text.
    • If it does not, restart your computer and see if it works.
    • If it still does not, again go to the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service and open properties. This time, open the Dependencies tab and you will find a list of processes quoted as “The service depends on the following
      components”.
    • Now close the properties window and check the list of Services and make sure that the services mentioned above are either “Running” or in “Automatic” mode. If they are disabled, you should enable them.
    • Now again find the Touch Keyboard service and enable it as Automatic.
    • See if this works for you!"
    I hope this helps.

Be the first person to mark this helpful

buddy267, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

Surface Go 2: Touch Keyboard does not appear automatically in OneNote 2016

1. Surface Go 2: Touch Keyboard does not appear automatically in OneNote 2016 - Similar Threads - Surface Touch Keyboard

2. Touch mode on Surface Go 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touch mode on Surface Go 2: I have a Surface Go 2, which for the last couple of years I've happily used with a Brydge Bluetooth keyboard designed specifically for the model as well as the Typecover. The Typecover is great for mobility but the Brydge is much better when you want to use the machine as a...
  3. Touch mode on Surface Go 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touch mode on Surface Go 2: I have a Surface Go 2, which for the last couple of years I've happily used with a Brydge Bluetooth keyboard designed specifically for the model as well as the Typecover. The Typecover is great for mobility but the Brydge is much better when you want to use the machine as a...
  4. The on screen/touch keyboard does not open automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The on screen/touch keyboard does not open automatically: After I update windows 11 to windows 11 22h2, when I click on any field to type, the on screen/touch keyboard does not open, I use touchscreen only, i have to open it manually from task bar, how to solve this problem ?...
  5. Touch Keyboard doesn't appear automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touch Keyboard doesn't appear automatically: Hello,I'm currently having a problem on a PC with a touch screen.When I click on a text field, the touch keyboard does not appear automatically whether in desktop mode or in tablet modeI have already enabled the setting "Enable touch keyboard when not in tablet mode and no...
  6. Touch Keyboard doesn't appear automatically

Touch Keyboard doesn't appear automatically: Hello,I'm currently having a problem on a PC with a touch screen.When I click on a text field, the touch keyboard does not appear automatically whether in desktop mode or in tablet modeI have already enabled the setting "Enable touch keyboard when not in tablet mode and no...
  7. OneNote 2016 - touch scrolling disabled when connected external displays with surface

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OneNote 2016 - touch scrolling disabled when connected external displays with surface: I recently got a second monitor that I have decided to use as my main screen. I have made my laptop (hp envy x360 2-in-1) as the secondary display. All the touchscreen capabilities seem intact except for in onenote 2016 where I can't scroll by touch (scrolling still work in...
  8. Microsoft Surface Go 2 - Microsoft Surface Modern Mouse and Surface Go Keyboard...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Surface Go 2 - Microsoft Surface Modern Mouse and Surface Go Keyboard...: I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Go 2 back in July. Everything was working great until I noticed that the Modern Mouse and Surface Go Keyboard I purchased with it would randomly start disconnecting. This would usually be after leaving my desk for a few minutes. I have...
  9. Touch keyboard on Surface Book 2 and wsl2 problems

Touch keyboard on Surface Book 2 and wsl2 problems: Several symbols, including the @, ~, € do not work while typing with the touch keyboard in wsl2. Has anyone else had this issue? So far it is confind tp wsl2....
  10. OneNote 2016 Soft Keyboard Bug

OneNote 2016 Soft Keyboard Bug: I have a Surface Pro and am having a problem shape writing in OneNote. When entering text, it works great until I hit return. The next line after hitting return does not respond to anything except the last letter. When I hit return again, it works. For example, if I shape...