Windows 10: Surface Go driver Update Changed Device Name, Bitlocker KeyID, AND RECOVERY KEY!

Discus and support Surface Go driver Update Changed Device Name, Bitlocker KeyID, AND RECOVERY KEY! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Gen 1 Surface Go had been idle and needed a over years worth of Windows updates. After the final Windows Update, I updated a bunch of drivers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JustinGuay1, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Surface Go driver Update Changed Device Name, Bitlocker KeyID, AND RECOVERY KEY!

My Gen 1 Surface Go had been idle and needed a over years worth of Windows updates.

After the final Windows Update, I updated a bunch of drivers using IObit Driver updater and setting a restore point.

However, on restart I got the Blue Screen asking for my Recovery key. I found it online in my MS account and it failed...

On closer inspection I've discovered that the device name AND Recovery Key ID listed online in my account and on the device when requesting the recovery key are not the same. I can see that the online device record IS the one I was updating, because it shows when that I updated Windows just the other day. It. is. the. same. device.

Somehow, however, the Device ID and Key ID are no longer the same on the physical device and online... Help? ...

I've got through all of the troubleshooting steps to disable the bitlocker, but they all require the drive to be unlocked at some point, which isn't working. I can't seem to even access a restore point because the drive is locked.

:)

JustinGuay1, Apr 9, 2021

2. bitlocker - recovery key

Hi chryscarpenter, this is Andre from the Microsoft Community. Lets see if we can get your problem resolved. To retrieve your BitLocker recovery key if you do not have it available, follow these steps: Open a browser window on another trusted computer
    or mobile device. Go to the following Windows website: Find my BitLocker recovery key Sign in by using the same Microsoft account name and password that you use on your Microsoft Surface 2 device. Additional troubleshooting information: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ts-you-for-the-bitlocker-recovery-key-when-yo
    Best, Andre Windows Insider MVP MVP-Windows and Devices for IT http://twitter.com/adacosta

Andre Da Costa, Apr 9, 2021
  3. Renaming a PC (Device Name) after creating a BitLocker Recovery Key

I own a brand-new Dell XPS 13 laptop, running Windows 10 Home. As part of the setup process, I created a BitLocker Recovery Key, which now appears on Microsoft's "BitLocker recovery keys" Web page under my Microsoft account.

The out-of-the-box Device Name (Computer Name) assigned by Dell was DESKTOP-ABCDEFG (something similar to that; not sure I should use the actual name in a public post), and that original Device Name is what appears on the "BitLocker recovery keys" Web page.
    After a couple of days of setting up and using the laptop, I decided to change the Computer Name to something more user-friendly. After changing the Computer Name, I became concerned about what effect this might have if I need to use the BitLocker Recovery
    Key at a future date.

Will the BitLocker recovery key on file with Microsoft still work after changing the Computer Name?

If not, what should I do to make sure I have a valid and usable recovery key in case I need it?

Larry

larryc43230, Apr 9, 2021
  4. Leaner_ Win User

Surface Go driver Update Changed Device Name, Bitlocker KeyID, AND RECOVERY KEY!

How to define [Device] - [BitLocker recovery key] pair

I want to delete not-associated-with-any-pc BitLocker recovery key. Device name in 'About' and that shown on the listing page for BitLocker recovery key seems to be different. Windows installed date in 'About' and registered date for BitLocker seems to
    be different, too. As my desktop devices experienced reinstall at problem before, it is uncertain which device listed are actually in use. If a bootable USB could be counted, I wish know how to identify them, too. Thank you very much.

Leaner_, Apr 9, 2021
Thema:

Surface Go driver Update Changed Device Name, Bitlocker KeyID, AND RECOVERY KEY!

1. Surface Go driver Update Changed Device Name, Bitlocker KeyID, AND RECOVERY KEY! - Similar Threads - Surface driver Update

2. After update Bitlocker recovery key is changed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After update Bitlocker recovery key is changed.: Hello,We have corporate install from SCCM. After installation Bitlocker recovery key is stored in AD and it works. After we update Windows 10 LTSC the recovery key is changed without warning and is NOT saved in AD. Is anybody know something about that?...
  3. After update Bitlocker recovery key is changed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After update Bitlocker recovery key is changed.: Hello,We have corporate install from SCCM. After installation Bitlocker recovery key is stored in AD and it works. After we update Windows 10 LTSC the recovery key is changed without warning and is NOT saved in AD. Is anybody know something about that?...
  4. After update Bitlocker recovery key is changed.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Bitlocker recovery key not going through

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery key not going through: Hi,please could you assist me with my problem.So I have just uninstalled Avast antivirus software off of my laptop and I had to restart to completely clear the avast data.After my device restarted it displayed a bitlocker page where I had to insert my key.I found my key of my...
  6. Bitlocker recovery key not going through

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker recovery key not going through: Hi,please could you assist me with my problem.So I have just uninstalled Avast antivirus software off of my laptop and I had to restart to completely clear the avast data.After my device restarted it displayed a bitlocker page where I had to insert my key.I found my key of my...
  7. Bitlocker recovery key not going through

8. Bitlocker To Go Recovery Key Question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker To Go Recovery Key Question: Hello, We currently are using SCCM to Encrypt OS, Fixed and Removable drives and all seems to be working as expected but did have one question and believe I already know the answer but wanted to still ask. "When encrypting Removable drives via Bitlocker To Go are users able...
  9. Bitlocker To Go Recovery Key Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker To Go Recovery Key Question: Hello, We currently are using SCCM to Encrypt OS, Fixed and Removable drives and all seems to be working as expected but did have one question and believe I already know the answer but wanted to still ask. "When encrypting Removable drives via Bitlocker To Go are users able...
  10. Bitlocker To Go Recovery Key Question