Windows 10: Surface Go: how to turn Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Home or Pro

Discus and support Surface Go: how to turn Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Home or Pro in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I bought a Surface Go device recently to check it out and write a thorough review later. I would not have done so if the device would come with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 9, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Surface Go: how to turn Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Home or Pro

I bought a Surface Go device recently to check it out and write a thorough review later. I would not have done so if the device would come with a locked Windows 10 S operating system and no option to upgrade.

Why? Because Windows 10 S limits you to what is installed by default, the Microsoft Store, and web applications. All legacy Win32 programs don't run on Windows 10 S. While some users may not mind, if you just use Office and the Internet, you may not mind that you cannot install Win32 apps, I do mind and it affects my buying decision.

Microsoft's Surface Go is 10" 2-in-1 tablet that comes preinstalled with Windows 10 S. I bought the 128 Gigabyte SSD 8 Gigabyte of RAM version, an extra Surface Go Type Cover, and a USB-C to USB 3.x and 2.x adapter.

Anyway, the very first thing I did after I completed the initial setup was to figure out how to turn the Surface Go into a full Windows operating system.

Note: While you can turn an S mode edition to Home or Pro, you cannot go back to S mode once you have made the change unless you wipe the device and start from scratch.

Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Home/Pro

Surface Go: how to turn Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Home or Pro windows-10-home-s-mode.png

The very first thing that you may want to do is verify the version of the operating system. One option to do so is to use the built-in tool winver.

Open the Start Menu, type winver, and select the result (Tip: see a list of Windows tools like winver here). Windows displays the version underneath the copyright line in the program window that opens.

The system on the screenshot above returned Windows 10 Home in S mode.

Microsoft's operating system did not display tips or a suggestion in regards to turning the S version into a full version.

Here is how that is done in detail:

The process is straightforward once you know what to do. A restart is not required and the whole operation takes less than ten minutes to complete.

Step 1: Open Activation in the Settings application

Surface Go: how to turn Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Home or Pro windows-10-s-to-home-pro.png

Open the Settings application with the shortcut Windows-I. If you prefer to use the menu, select Start > Settings instead.

Select Windows Update > Activation to display the operating system's activation status. It should highlight the version of Windows at the top (again Windows 10 Home in S mode in the case of the device that I used), and the Activation status (usually activated with a digital license).

Below that you see options to switch to full versions of Windows. The offered version depends on the current edition of Windows.

If you have Windows 10 Home in S mode, you may upgrade to Windows 10 Home for free. Likewise, if you have Windows 10 Pro in S mode, you may upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free. You may upgrade Home editions to Pro. Microsoft asked for €99 for the upgrade.

Select "go to the Microsoft Store" under the "Switch to" link on the page.

Step 2: Switch out of S mode

Surface Go: how to turn Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Home or Pro switch-out-of-s-mode-windows-10.png

The second and final step of the conversion happens in the Microsoft Store application. The Store application displays the "Switch out of S mode" page that offers information and an actionable button to start the conversion.

The only feature difference between S mode and Full mode that is highlighted on the page is the ability to install "any app" in full mode.

Select the "get" button at the top to start the process; this takes just a moment and changes the "get" button into an "install" button.

Select install to start the conversion from S mode to Home or Pro depending on the supported edition.

The process completes silently in the background, a restart is not required and the version that is listed in winver should return Windows 10 Home as the edition afterward.

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Surface Go: how to turn Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Home or Pro appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 9, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 9, 2019
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Is it time for Windows 10 already?

Again, for those that want the update reservation and you meet the requirements ---> Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free

And, some info from the FAQ page:

Also, some interesting info from the Specifications page:

95Viper, Mar 9, 2019
  4. Frick Win User

Windows 10 Release Date Announced

Windows 10 Home will be $119, Pro $199.

Microsoft: Windows 10 Home costs $119, Pro costs $199

Which is good news actually, because Windows 8.1 is loads cheaper than previous versions (retail licensing at Windows 7 OEM prices). And it sort of puts a huge hole in the Windows subscription theory.

Frick, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Surface Go: how to turn Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Home or Pro - Similar Threads - Surface turn Home

2. Microsoft Surface Go Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Surface Go Windows 10 Home: I bought a Microsoft Surface Go a few years back. But now it behaves strangely . Each and everytime I want to access a folder or files on my network it will ask if I want to delete the files. When I click cancel the same message re appear and I have to switch off my Surface....
  3. Microsoft Surface Go Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Surface Go Windows 10 Home: I bought a Microsoft Surface Go a few years back. But now it behaves strangely . Each and everytime I want to access a folder or files on my network it will ask if I want to delete the files. When I click cancel the same message re appear and I have to switch off my Surface....
  4. Microsoft Surface Go Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Surface Pro with Windows 10 Home NEEDS Windows 10 PRO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Pro with Windows 10 Home NEEDS Windows 10 PRO: Hi. My boss bought me and a few other employees Surface Pros with Windows 10 HOME. We have Microsoft 365 and need to be able to login with our work emails in order to connect to our work desktops. When setting up, I was unable to use work email so assuming I need to upgrade...
  6. How to go from windows 10 home to s mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to go from windows 10 home to s mode: Hello Microsoft! I have a question about s mode I couldn't find anything that talks about this certain thing. So I recently got a laptop and decided to download chrome, of course i did it through the website*chrome store* i don't know if that is the only way you can do it,...
  7. How to go from windows 10 pro to windows 10 home?

How to go from windows 10 pro to windows 10 home?: I have windows 10 pro on my pc, but bought by mistake windows 10 home. Is it possible to download windows 10 home online and swap it with my windows 10 pro?...
  8. Surface GO HOME Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Surface GO HOME Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: Hi All; Happy Thanksgiving to all! I would like to ask community and probably you can guide me how to handle this. I got a Surface GO with Home S Mode. I did not like to so I paid $99 for an Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, After Upgrade, I also removed the S Mode, which I can...
  9. How to reinstall Windows 10 Home in S Mode on Surface Go

in Windows 10 News
    How to reinstall Windows 10 Home in S Mode on Surface Go: [ATTACH] Surface Go a new budget Surface Device from Microsoft ships with Windows 10 Home in S Mode enabled. But users have the authority to sitch the OS to the normal Windows 10 Home version. This indirectly offers them a Surface [...] This post How to reinstall Windows 10...
  10. Can Surface Go be upgraded from Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Pro?

Can Surface Go be upgraded from Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Pro?: If so, how is that done, without buying a new license and doing a clean install of Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/can-surface-go-be-upgraded-from-windows-10-s-to/3cb78c1a-ac58-45b6-b78f-68cf274cdbd1

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off s mode windows 10

2. upgrade surface go to windows home

3. surface go genuine windows home

4. how to upgrade surface go to windows 10,
  5. surface go upgrade to windows 10,
  6. how to upgrade surface go to windows 10 home,
  7. disable windows s surface go