Windows 10: Surface Laptop 2 has black screen that flickers to gray when on switch is pressed but...

Discus and support Surface Laptop 2 has black screen that flickers to gray when on switch is pressed but... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The laptop has windows 11 and I was working on it and it was functioning properly except had rebooted on its own a couple of times in the last day or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SarikaSingh, Oct 7, 2022.

1. Surface Laptop 2 has black screen that flickers to gray when on switch is pressed but...

The laptop has windows 11 and I was working on it and it was functioning properly except had rebooted on its own a couple of times in the last day or two. Anyhow, I left it on to run an errand and when I came it was dark. Long pressing the on switch didn't turn it on nor pressing on switch and volume up switch together, or windows+ shift+control+B or Ctrl+alt+del. The screen is not completely dark/dead. It flickers to a light gray backlight? when the switch is pressed on and held, same with on+ volume up switch. I am pretty much out of options and have data in there that is not saved elsewhe

:)

SarikaSingh, Oct 7, 2022
  2. Virus-j Win User

Toshiba Laptop Black Screen

I have a Toshiba Laptop, Was reinstalling windows 7 on it last night left it doing the updates then shut it down. Turned it on this this afternoon only to find the laptop screen is Black and also there is a burning smell coming from the Fan.

I connected the Laptop to a external monitor that is fine, Can go into bios, Windows boots up fine Etc.
    Just took apart the laptop earlier to check all the cables where in correctly, Checked the motherboard over for any damage, burnt bits but but found nothing. Just put it back together now but im still getting this burning smell and i still cant use the laptop screen only a external screen.

I Tried Pressing FN+F5 to switch to the laptop screen, But still black screen. Any Suggestions please ?

Thanks

Virus-j, Oct 7, 2022
  3. barndoor Win User
    Flickering and blinking laptop screen

I'm using a laptop with Windows 10 and an Intel HD Graphics 4600 display adaptor. A few days ago I attached a Dell D3000 dock to my laptop, and almost immediately my laptop screen started to flicker and repeatedly blink off and on again. I disconnected the dock, which did not resolve the problem, and since then I've tried various techniques to fix the problem, but none of them have worked. In order, this comprised of:

1. attempting system restore - but all five restore points were corrupted (?!);
    2. updating the driver for the Intel display adaptor;
    3. rolling back the driver for the Intel display adaptor;
    4. uninstalling the driver for the Intel display adaptor;
    5. downloading Windows 10 from the Microsoft site and re-installing it.
    The problem has persisted even when I disconnected everything from my laptop, took it to my workplace, and switched it on there (using its battery for power); so the following possible reasons can be ruled out: its location in my house, any attached peripherals, a faulty power cable.

I am certain the problem is in some way connected to the Intel HD Graphics 4600 display adaptor:
    1. after I completely uninstalled it - which reverted the graphics card to the standard Microsoft one - the screen didn't flicker or blink once afterwards (I left the laptop switched on for about an hour without incident, whereas previously I would experience as many as ten 'events' a minute). This rules out a possible damaged connection between the body of the laptop and its screen. However, when Windows auto-installs updates it reinstates the Intel one...
    2. ...and when the laptop is switched on the screen flickers and repeatedly blinks off and on again...
    3. ...although, strangely, connecting an external monitor to the laptop (HDMI to HDMI) results in neither the laptop screen nor the external monitor flickering or blinking. The problem returns when I disconnect the HDMI cable from the HDMI port on the laptop.
    I now have the inescapable feeling that when I attached the dock I somehow fried the Intel display adaptor, and it isn't possible to fix it: I have read in the forums that replacing the graphics card on a laptop is well-nigh impossible. But if anyone else can suggest an approach I haven't yet tried I'd be very receptive!

As an aside, I contacted the retailer and they have sent me all of the drivers that are available for my system, but I don't know how to install them.

barndoor, Oct 7, 2022
  4. Surface Laptop 2 has black screen that flickers to gray when on switch is pressed but...

Screen flickers and goes black

Nothing worked thing is i flickers a bit then turns black on the computer screen but doesn't flicker or go black on the monitor also when i restarted my computer and got to the home page it went black again i tried the 2 videos im trying the steps below rn

Maddox Ray, Oct 7, 2022
Thema:

Surface Laptop 2 has black screen that flickers to gray when on switch is pressed but...

1. Surface Laptop 2 has black screen that flickers to gray when on switch is pressed but... - Similar Threads - Surface Laptop has

2. Screen Flickering Black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Flickering Black: My screen has been flickering black for about a second several times a day for a few weeks now. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver, and tried Ctrl + Shift + Windows + B. I also have checked for any necessary updates in both the "Check For Updates" Windows...
  3. Black/flickering screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black/flickering screen: When I start up my computer it shows a black screen after I login. I tried to use safe mode and it shows a flickering screen and I can’t click on any apps while task manager is fine. It all started around the windows 11 upgrade....
  4. Surface Laptop 2 has black screen that flickers to gray when on switch is pressed but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Laptop 2 has black screen that flickers to gray when on switch is pressed but...: The laptop has windows 11 and I was working on it and it was functioning properly except had rebooted on its own a couple of times in the last day or two. Anyhow, I left it on to run an errand and when I came it was dark. Long pressing the on switch didn't turn it on nor...
  5. Windows Surface Laptop 3 Screen Flicker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Surface Laptop 3 Screen Flicker: I have a Surface Laptop 3 which I recently upgraded to Windows 11 which developed this sudden screen-flicker whenever the screen remained idle and no activity was being completed. The screen will not flicker if the laptop enters Battery Saver Mode, but the screen will still...
  6. Windows Surface Laptop 3 Screen Flicker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Surface Laptop 3 Screen Flicker: I have a Surface Laptop 3 which I recently upgraded to Windows 11 which developed this sudden screen-flicker whenever the screen remained idle and no activity was being completed. The screen will not flicker if the laptop enters Battery Saver Mode, but the screen will still...
  7. Microsoft surface 2 flickering screen and restarts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft surface 2 flickering screen and restarts: Hi I have a Microsoft surface 2 laptop When I turn it on and sign in to my account after 2 minutes the screen causing flickering and then the laptop restarts by itself. And it keeps doing that all the time. Now my laptop just turns on after two minutes the flickering...
  8. Surface Laptop 2 Black Screen

Surface Laptop 2 Black Screen: I have a surface laptop 2 with integrated graphic card. Win10. Recently, the screen frequently turns black, or display pixelated image. It will continue for several seconds, and then the software that I currently use will crash. (After it displays a crash warning window,...
  9. Surface Book 2 temporarily freezes and screen fades to gray.

Surface Book 2 temporarily freezes and screen fades to gray.: I've recently purchased a surface book 2 and I have been having an issue with it. Occasionally, while using the computer, the screen will seem to freeze and slowly fades to gray. If I don't move the mouse or type the screen will go completely gray, but if I do it will...
  10. Asus laptop has been flickering black screen every second

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Asus laptop has been flickering black screen every second: Hi , so my 8 year old Asus laptop has been flickering black screen every second. I open wordpad and internet explorer and it immediately starts flickering. What can I do to solve this issue? I tried recovery mode nothing. I tried uninstalling some apps and programs on the...