Windows 10: Surface Laptop 2 keyboard not working after windows installation

Discus and support Surface Laptop 2 keyboard not working after windows installation in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just purchased a Surface Laptop 2 (black I7 16GB Australia Model) spent an arm and a leg on it just to find it doesn’t even come pre-I staled with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jake Mathew, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Surface Laptop 2 keyboard not working after windows installation

I just purchased a Surface Laptop 2 (black I7 16GB Australia Model) spent an arm and a leg on it just to find it doesn’t even come pre-I staled with Windows 10 Pro (come on Microsoft, if you want to be like apple on your hardware prices at least supply the entire goods) so I downloaded a copy of Windows 10 Pro, created a bootable flash disk, installed Pro 64x on the surface, wiped the drives clean of course, everything is perfect EXCEPT the keyboard on the laptop no longer works...

My troubleshooting steps.

1. Bought another surface pro Laptop exactly the same fresh out of the box did a backup of the drivers and then attempted to restore them back onto the other unit. No luck keyboard still won’t work.
    2. Attempted uninstalling the keyboard devices from device manager and then updating the drivers automatically, still no luck
    3. Completed all windows updates.
    4. Download the surface diagnostics tool, no luck it just crashes every time I start it.
    5. Boot in safe mode and attempt to run the surface diagnostics tool again, same ball... still crashes.
    6. Tried re-installing windows multiple times, still the exact same issue.
    7. Purchased one of those driver update softwares, no luck just killed the machine had to reinstall windows again.

What’s the problem? Literally EVERYTHING works, just not the built in keyboard.

Keyboard works fine when booting Int EUFI

Plugging an external keyboard in works fine.

What’s next?

:)

Jake Mathew, Dec 17, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, Surface Laptop 2 keyboard not working after windows installation :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Dec 17, 2018
  3. Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center does not recognize Microsoft Surface Laptop keyboard

Problem:

1. I have a brand new Microsoft Surface Laptop, with Windows 10 Pro, which naturally comes with a brand new Microsoft keyboard hardwired to the laptop.
    2. I installed the
      Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center
      to reassign some of the keyboard keys.
    3. However, Microsoft's keyboard program does not detect Microsoft's own keyboard!
    Failed solutions:

1. All the help pages say "update your drivers" or "unplug the USB device and plug it back in." However, this is a laptop keyboard, which is hardwired, not a USB keyboard. It is working fine, so there's no reason why the program should not detect it.
    2. Yes, EVERYTHING is up to date, including ALL Windows Updates and ALL keyboard drivers.
    3. Yes, I tried the troubleshooter.
    4. Yes, I checked
      the list of "supported devices" that Microsoft lists here
      . But they are all mice, none of them are keyboards.
    5. Screenshots of my steps are below -- Microsoft moderators, please don't dismiss me by saying "run the troubleshooter" or "update your drivers" or "turn it off and on again."
    Questions:

1. Has anyone actually SEEN the Mouse and Keyboard Center recognize a Windows laptop keyboard? Not a USB external keyboard, the actual physical laptop keyboard?
    2. Does the Mouse and Keyboard Center actually work with laptops? There's no documentation suggesting it shouldn't, especially with Microsoft's own hardware (like the Surface Laptop).
    3. Where is there a list of what keyboards work with the "Mouse and *Keyboard* Center"?
    Screenshots:

1. "No supported device detected"

Surface Laptop 2 keyboard not working after windows installation fcf9e7af-3161-4074-b129-b6833779b44f?upload=true.png

2. "The best drivers are already installed"

Surface Laptop 2 keyboard not working after windows installation f45af9e7-01c2-4665-9df1-9dc0661d42ee?upload=true.png

Surface Laptop 2 keyboard not working after windows installation 34fcc9c2-7226-431b-8af2-5b55d425826a?upload=true.png

3. "Keyboard troubleshooting has completed, no changes or updates were necessary"

Surface Laptop 2 keyboard not working after windows installation b93ddf51-87ff-4e6e-b2cc-00da48760412?upload=true.png

Daniel_336, Dec 17, 2018
  4. Surface Laptop 2 keyboard not working after windows installation

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

Surface Laptop 2 keyboard not working after windows installation

1. Surface Laptop 2 keyboard not working after windows installation - Similar Threads - Surface Laptop keyboard

2. My keyboard for my surface laptop is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My keyboard for my surface laptop is not working: My surface laptop, the keyboard stopped working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-keyboard-for-my-surface-laptop-is-not-working/45dff278-5576-443a-9680-9b546b064147
  3. My keyboard for my surface laptop is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard for my surface laptop is not working: My surface laptop, the keyboard stopped working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-keyboard-for-my-surface-laptop-is-not-working/45dff278-5576-443a-9680-9b546b064147
  4. Touch screen not working Surface Laptop 2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touch screen not working Surface Laptop 2: Computer went completely dead - would not respond to power key. Found holding power key for 10 seconds and it came back to life, but subsequently found touch screen no longer works. All win 10 and firmware updates applied. Booted holding vol+ and power key for 30 seconds and...
  5. surface laptop 2 keyboard & touch screen stopped working after automatic software update

surface laptop 2 keyboard & touch screen stopped working after automatic software update: My surface laptop 2 running windows 10 recently booted itself, indicating a software update. Now neither the keyboard nor the touch screen works under windows 10, but they still work under uefi. Something in the software update must be the cause. Please help....
  6. Touchpad not working - Surface Laptop 2

Touchpad not working - Surface Laptop 2: My touchpad stopped working after a few months. I think it is the I2C HID Device that is the cause [ATTACH] I have tried to uninstall the driver and the restart the computer and in the beginning it worked but then after a while I got the same error again. But now it...
  7. Surface Laptop 2 Keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surface Laptop 2 Keyboard: What is the Surface Laptop 2 Keyboard layout in Australia. Bought one for child, but keyboard layout not match exactly. I clearly chose wrongly at setup. I have managed to change the keyboard to get it very close and useable, but still not perfect...
  8. Facial Recognition not working on Surface Laptop 2

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Facial Recognition not working on Surface Laptop 2: Face recognition became very unreliable, for no reason that I can see. Sometimes it works, but more often, it does not. I have to wait for a long time until it gives up and I can enter the PIN. I tried to delete my recognition information and started again, but this did not...
  9. Windows Hello Not Working(Surface Laptop 2)

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello Not Working(Surface Laptop 2): My windows hello was working perfectly until a few days ago. On the lock screen, the window hello icon(wi-fi thing) appeared and said getting ready and was stuck on it. Therefore, I had to use my pin to log in. Anybody know how to fix this ty....
  10. Surface Pro 2 Keyboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Pro 2 Keyboard: My keyboard won't type, nor will touchpad work. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the cover twice but still get alert that something's wrong with driver. Where do I go from here? Can I replace the driver? I'm current on Win 10 updates. I've cleaned contacts. Help!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface laptop keyboard not working

2. surface laptop 2 keyboard not working

3. surface laptop 2 keyboard is not working

4. keyboard not working surface laptop 2,
  5. keyboard not working on surface laptop,
  6. surface 2 laptop keyboard not working after reinstall of windows,
  7. surface keyboard doesnt work after new windows installation,
  8. surface laptop 2 keyboard not functioning,
  9. surface laptop 2 keyboard driver,
  10. surface keyboard is not working after windows installation,
  11. surface laptop 2 keyboard does not work,