Windows 10: Surface Laptop 3 hibernates too fast after sleep

Discus and support Surface Laptop 3 hibernates too fast after sleep in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; In the advanced power plan settings, Windows 10 allows us to configure "Sleep after x minutes" and "Hibernate after x minutes". Whenever I set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/0xbin, Feb 9, 2020.

1. /u/0xbin Win User

Surface Laptop 3 hibernates too fast after sleep

In the advanced power plan settings, Windows 10 allows us to configure "Sleep after x minutes" and "Hibernate after x minutes".

Whenever I set "Hibernate after x minutes" to a value != 'Never', my Surface Laptop 3 hibernates after sleeping for a much shorter amount of time than I set up. For example, I'm currently trying to set it so it hibernates after 12 hours of not being used, but when I came back to check after 1 hour, the computer as already hibernating.

The only way to make this stop is to set it to "Never".

Is there a hidden power plan setting that could help me with this?

submitted by /u/0xbin
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/0xbin, Feb 9, 2020

2. I have a weird powercfg /a response and no Hibernate anywhere-Surface Pro 3

I have tried all manners that I know of to enable Hibernate

Microsoft support has posted a help article with instructions to fix this issue:

Source Surface Pro 3 or Surface 3 doesn't hibernate in Windows 10

DavidPostill, Feb 9, 2020
  3. Phillmont Win User
    Hibernating laptop changes to sleep behaviour after Windows 10 May 2019 update

Hi Aditya,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried the two steps (turning of Hybrid sleep and Fast startup) you suggested but to no avail. Okay, for your two questions:

1. My laptop is a HP Pavilion 14-bf101tx, and currently running Windows 10 1903 (upgrading from 1809).
    2. Nope. No error messages. I suppose the boot process was successful, however, my battery was reduced. That's why I suggest the post title as "Hibernating changes to sleep behaviour" because the battery level reduction looks like sleep behaviour.

Please inform me of any diagnostics information you might need. Thank you for your kind assistance.

Phillmont, Feb 9, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

sleep or hibernate

sleep and hibernate are the same thing now.

S3 'sleep' has the entire system powered off, EXCEPT for system ram. a copy of ram is stored on the HDD when entering sleep.
    To answer the OP's question about the HDD taking wear and tear moving the laptop around - in sleep mode, it is powered off. ONLY system RAM has power in S3 sleep states.

Hibernate is when it loses power, it boots from the saved copy of ram. Often, this can load slower than a fresh boot since it has to load more from the HDD than usual.

so asking which you prefer... well, unless its a laptop you plan to store overnight or something, use sleep. its the same thing.

S3 sleep drains my laptop battery at only 2-3% an hour, so its not like its going to have a large impact on daily use.

Mussels, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Surface Laptop 3 hibernates too fast after sleep - Similar Threads - Surface Laptop hibernates

2. Surface laptop 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface laptop 3: Yo guys I am looking for a portable triple monitor screen extender and i have a Surface laptop 3 so I am looking for advice from someone who has any knowledge on which one should i get i live in Canada and I want the best one can some one give me the top 5 options that would...
  3. Surface laptop 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface laptop 3: Yo guys I am looking for a portable triple monitor screen extender and i have a Surface laptop 3 so I am looking for advice from someone who has any knowledge on which one should i get i live in Canada and I want the best one can some one give me the top 5 options that would...
  4. Surface book tablet mode sleep/hibernate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface book tablet mode sleep/hibernate: I have a Surface book 1, still going strong. I have an external monitor through the original Microsoft dock. Recently, to add real estate I started using my surface book in tablet mode on a stand with the power going into the bottom of the tablet giving me a second monitor....
  5. Surface Laptop 3

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Laptop 3: They say a Surface Laptop 3 battery should last about 11 hours. I know you will not get 11 hours but you should get something near that. If I am lucky I get 2 to 3 hours at the most out of mine I ordered the laptop November 3 2020 so it is still under Microsoft one year...
  6. Surface Laptop 2 will not hibernate

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Surface Laptop 2 will not hibernate: My Surface Laptop goes to sleep instead of hibernating and while in sleep it is draining the battery. Anyone had the same problem and solutions? submitted by /u/lospollosakhis [link] [comments]...
  7. Surface Laptop 3

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Laptop 3: I bought a Surface Laptop 3 today. After setting up a laptop updated, then I can not launch any setting apps like Settings, Personalisation etc. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> ms-settings ms-settings : The term 'ms-settings' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function,...
  8. Surface Laptop 3

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Laptop 3: I recently bought the Surface Laptop 3, and I was wondering how long the battery usually lasts people. I am using it for high school classes, so nothing too serious should be using up the battery. I've been using it for about 4 hours and it went down about 40% already. The...
  9. HP Laptop Hibernates after sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    HP Laptop Hibernates after sleep: I have set my HP 250 G7 to sleep after 30 minutes when plugged in but after a couple of hours it switches to hibernate. I am not sure when this started happening eg after a BIOS update or Windows update to 1909 but it never used to do this it would remain in sleep mode and I...
  10. Hibernation occuring too fast on my laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Hibernation occuring too fast on my laptop: Is anyone seeing any issues regarding hibernation on their laptops? Since upgrading to Windows 10 I've noticed that my laptop seems to be going into hibernation much more quickly than it did in Windows 7. I checked my settings and my screen saver settings and so on are setup...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface pro 3 set sleep to hibernate time