Windows 10: Surface Laptop 3 with external monitor

Discus and support Surface Laptop 3 with external monitor in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi All, Has anyone come across an issue with an external monitor blacking out while connected to a Surface Laptop 3? I have the laptop connected to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by AJMazza, Feb 2, 2020.

1. AJMazza Win User

Surface Laptop 3 with external monitor

Hi All,

Has anyone come across an issue with an external monitor blacking out while connected to a Surface Laptop 3? I have the laptop connected to a widescreen laptop with the Surface Dock. Both work fine however, once every hour or so the external monitor blacks out and comes back.

I've completed the following:

• Updated laptop drivers and firmware
      • Updated monitor drivers
      • Swapped out monitor
    [/LIST]

:)

AJMazza, Feb 2, 2020
  2. AJMazza Win User

Hi All,

Has anyone come across an issue with an external monitor blacking out while connected to a Surface Laptop 3? I have the laptop connected to a widescreen laptop with the Surface Dock. Both work fine however, once every hour or so the external monitor blacks out and comes back.

I've completed the following:

• Updated laptop drivers and firmware
      • Updated monitor drivers
      • Swapped out monitor
    [/LIST]

AJMazza, Feb 2, 2020
  3. rau1 Win User
    Surface 3 / Win 10 Not Recognising External Monitor

I have a relatively new Surface3, recently upgraded to Win 10. I have since purchased a BenQ LCD monitor (model EW2440).

Connection is miniDP on Surface 3 to HDMI on BenQ. I have a short MiniDP to HDMI adapter(F), then HDMI (M-M) cable to the monitor.

On connecting the monitor to the Surface, the monitor reports “HDMI no signal” and the Surface (Win 10) does not react to the presence of the device at all. (If I remove the HDMI cable, monitor says “No cable connected” - so it at least knows the
    HDMI cable is plugged in).

I've verified the Monitor is not defective by plugging it in to a Win7 Laptop equipped with HDMI. Works fine.

ALSO – I can connect the Surface to a HDMI input on my TV and that works fine. Suggests communication via HDMI from Surface, and the cables, are OK.

It is just when the Surface connects to the BenQ that neither device appears to “see” the other.

I verified that the Graphics adapter/driver is the latest provided by Microsoft. (Intel has a later drive but does not recommend replacing the custom MS variant of the driver.)

What could be the problem?

rau1, Feb 2, 2020
  4. Surface Laptop 3 with external monitor

Laptop suddenly stopped recognizing the external monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask if the laptop is unable to recognize only the external monitor or other external devices also.

I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Click on the Start button, and type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on “Hardware and Devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Surface Laptop 3 with external monitor - Similar Threads - Surface Laptop external

2. Surface laptop 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface laptop 3: Yo guys I am looking for a portable triple monitor screen extender and i have a Surface laptop 3 so I am looking for advice from someone who has any knowledge on which one should i get i live in Canada and I want the best one can some one give me the top 5 options that would...
  3. Surface laptop 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface laptop 3: Yo guys I am looking for a portable triple monitor screen extender and i have a Surface laptop 3 so I am looking for advice from someone who has any knowledge on which one should i get i live in Canada and I want the best one can some one give me the top 5 options that would...
  4. Surface Laptop 3 - Issue daisy-chaining 3rd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Laptop 3 - Issue daisy-chaining 3rd monitor: I have a Surface Laptop 3, an HP E24d docking monitor, and an HP22er monitor. I want to daisy-chain the monitors together but I can't get the last monitor to work. Here's my current setup: Surface Laptop > USB-C cable > HPE24d > IVANKY Active DP to HDMI adaptor > HDMI cable >...
  5. Extending to dual external monitors on Surface Laptop 3

in Windows 10 Customization
    Extending to dual external monitors on Surface Laptop 3: I'm thinking about purchasing 2 external monitors 2x Dell 27 USB-C - P2722HE to use with my Surface Laptop 3 USBC 3.1, so that i can extend the 2 monitors via daisy chaining. USBC to USBC between the laptop and the first monitor, and then Displayport to Display port between...
  6. Surface Laptop 3

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Laptop 3: They say a Surface Laptop 3 battery should last about 11 hours. I know you will not get 11 hours but you should get something near that. If I am lucky I get 2 to 3 hours at the most out of mine I ordered the laptop November 3 2020 so it is still under Microsoft one year...
  7. Surface Laptop 3

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Laptop 3: I bought a Surface Laptop 3 today. After setting up a laptop updated, then I can not launch any setting apps like Settings, Personalisation etc. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> ms-settings ms-settings : The term 'ms-settings' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function,...
  8. Having issues using Surface Laptop 3 with External Monitor with IR camera built-in!!

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Having issues using Surface Laptop 3 with External Monitor with IR camera built-in!!: I just got myself a new HP S430C monitor that has a built-in pop up IR Camera that meets the requirements for Windows Hello. I have connected my Surface Laptop 3 using a single USB-C cable. Following advice on previous posts on the community, I have disabled the camera on...
  9. Second monitor for Surface laptop 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second monitor for Surface laptop 3: Hi there, I have a Surface Laptop 3 and am trying to connect it to a second monitor. On the settings page, the "detect" button does not detect a second display. I am trying to connect to a Dell monitor, model 2208WFPt, through VGA, using a VGA to Micro USB adaptor. Any ideas...
  10. Surface Laptop 3

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Laptop 3: I recently bought the Surface Laptop 3, and I was wondering how long the battery usually lasts people. I am using it for high school classes, so nothing too serious should be using up the battery. I've been using it for about 4 hours and it went down about 40% already. The...