Windows 10: Surface Laptop now dead

Discus and support Surface Laptop now dead in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I don't know what level Windows 10 I'm on. I debilitated the updates awhile ago after one update destroyed my installations of Photoshop and Corel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Googlieguy, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Surface Laptop now dead

I don't know what level Windows 10 I'm on. I debilitated the updates awhile ago after one update destroyed my installations of Photoshop and Corel Paintshop Pro and it took me weeks and countless phone calls to get it running again.

But this has to do with the keyboard and touchpad going out. They both stopped working all of a sudden about a year ago. Again I spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong and to fix it. But no one appeared to have the same problem of them going out without notice. So I just ended up using a USB keyboard and mouse, basically giving up on the idea of it being a portable laptop.

Then about six months into that, the keyboard and touchpad started working again without notice. The only pattern MAYBE being of the computer awakening from sleep mode and it jogs it to not work or to work.

That went on for about six more months and today without notice the keyboard and touchpad stopped working again. This time I thought I'll try rebooting right away to see if that helps. And that is where I'm stuck. It is showing the Windows logo squares and just sitting there. As of this writing it's been five minutes.

I can't power it off because of the "infinite" wisdom of Microsoft there is no dedicated power button. It's part of the keyboard and the keyboard doesn't work. And the USB keyboard I'm using doesn't have any power button or any media buttons on it.

So I suppose one question is: is there any trick combination of keys on a regular keyboard that can mimic the power button on the Surface keypad?

Or any suggestions of keystrokes that might push the computer to get me to the login screen? I don't see why it has gotten stuck at this stage unless it is downloading a huge update but there has been no notice of that. Usually it will tell you it is updating with a progress percentage showing.

And then if this is really dead, is there any way to access the hard drive so I can at least download some things off it before I throw the computer off the highest cliff?

Thank you.

Writing this on a Mac which has never given me an ounce of trouble.

:)

Googlieguy, Jan 17, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, Surface Laptop now dead :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Jan 17, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Surface Tools for IT Update for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop

Source: Surface Tools for IT Update for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop Surface

Brink, Jan 17, 2021
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Surface Laptop now dead

Microsoft Surface Book - who said Laptop was dead

Hi there

Who said the laptop was dead --

Ms IMO have got this just right -- not cheap and very definitely a PRO machine - but well worthy as a MacBook competitor. Looks also a lot more rugged that the original tablet type "Vanilla" Surface Slab.

Surface Book - The ultimate laptop

I Want one !!!! Today !!!!!

Ms STOP doing this -- reading about some of your new products could "Seriously damage your Wealth" !!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

Surface Laptop now dead

1. Surface Laptop now dead - Similar Threads - Surface Laptop dead

2. Dead Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dead Laptop: So I'm trying to fix my mother's laptop that just stopped working about 3 weeks ago. Whenever she tried to turn it on it just sat at the preparing automatic repair screen and didn't do anything. So I was going to reinstall windows, but my question is, do I need to install the...
  3. Laptop Battery dead

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop Battery dead: Hi Windows 10 A 2 fold question. I have an HP Omen Laptop and for some time now that battery refuses to charge. For long time though the computer recognized that there was a battery as it always said it had 92% charge remaining but it would not charge. So first question is...
  4. PC now dead.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC now dead.: Dear Microsoft, Following a windows 10 update on Friday night 18th December 2020 my PC which is a couple of years old has died with the dreaded black screen of death and curser working. I have tried f8 keys soft boots and wasted hours of time. Can someone help?...
  5. dead laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    dead laptop: my laptop died ( a dell Inspiron 11) and i want to put it on my old computer. will the windows 10 licence carry over? or do i have to buy a new license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dead-laptop/f2d47516-a2b7-4aa7-838e-bf1f8e4a4533"
  6. Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 available now Surface

in Windows 10 News
    Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 available now Surface: [ATTACH] Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 in both 13.5” and 15” sizes are available starting today in Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, the United States and 17 European markets. Surface products have always delivered a balance of performance, quality and...
  7. Dead/dying laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Dead/dying laptop: I have a 7 year old HP laptop that has been totally bomb-proof, until yesterday. The cooling fan had been getting a bit noisy, and yesterday it finally locked up. Windows would not run without the cooling fan operating. I ordered a new fan overnight, and this afternoon I...
  8. Critical Process Died...... Surface dead?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical Process Died...... Surface dead?: Last year my Surface 3 (updated fully) started throwing up service exception error BSODs and earlier this year I seemed to cure it when I reset the device. About a month ago the service exception error start up (especially from sleep) crash reappeared but today this error...
  9. Microsoft Surface Book - who said Laptop was dead

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Surface Book - who said Laptop was dead: Hi there Who said the laptop was dead -- Ms IMO have got this just right -- not cheap and very definitely a PRO machine - but well worthy as a MacBook competitor. Looks also a lot more rugged that the original tablet type "Vanilla" Surface Slab. Surface Book - The...
  10. MS Says Windows Phone Isn’t Dead, All Eyes Now on the Surface Phone

in Windows 10 News
    MS Says Windows Phone Isn’t Dead, All Eyes Now on the Surface Phone: Microsoft Says Windows Phone Isn’t Dead, All Eyes Now on the Surface Phone We continue to support the platform, Windows boss says Microsoft has announced a new round of layoffs impacting its mobile business, but in an email sent to employees this morning, Terry...