Windows 10: Surface Microphone

Discus and support Surface Microphone in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; On conference calls, my Surface microphone Realtek High Definition Audio SST works fine at first. After anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes or so however,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TM2438, Mar 31, 2020.

1. TM2438 Win User

Surface Microphone

On conference calls, my Surface microphone Realtek High Definition Audio SST works fine at first. After anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes or so however, participants on the call hear loud background noise when I am speaking. It occurs suddenly. I have noticed that if I occasionally mute during the calls, this prevents or delays the occurence of these events. But at times, no amount of toggling the mute button fixes it. I cannot hear the noise myself, but all call participants can. Any ideas for remedies? Thanks much.

:)

TM2438, Mar 31, 2020
  2. Julie Ram Win User

surface 4 pro microphone

Hi William,

To help you with turning on your microphone on your Surface Pro 4, you may follow the steps below:

• Go to Desktop App.
    • Touch and hold on the volume icon until the box appears (or just right-click)
    • Touch Sounds.
    • Touch the Recording tab.
    • Touch the microphone that is disabled to select it.
    • Touch Properties.
    • Select Use this device (enabled).

Let us know if it answered your query.

Thank you.

Julie Ram, Mar 31, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Mar 31, 2020
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Surface Microphone

Volume on Microphone randomly spikes

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community forum.

This issue can occur if the device drivers are not up-to date or an application is taking control over Microphone. Please help us with the following information, so that we have a better understanding of the issue:

1. Are you using built-in Microphone or an external microphone?

2. If you are using an external microphone, what is the make and model of the microphone?

Meanwhile, here are few things that you can try:

Method 1: I would request you to

update the driver
    and uncheck the option “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device”. Here are the steps to uncheck the option:

1. Right click on the Sound Icon at the bottom of the screen.
    2. Then click on Sounds and double click on
      Microphone.
    3. Go to Advanced tab and uncheck the option:
      Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device
    4. Click on Apply and then on
      OK

Method 2: If the above does not help, then you can follow the steps mentioned in the article:

Troubleshoot Surface sound and audio accessories
    (you can skip step 6).

Regards,

Naresh_K, Mar 31, 2020
Thema:

Surface Microphone

1. Surface Microphone - Similar Threads - Surface Microphone

2. Surface Pro 7 - Alexa for PC can't access Microphone since latest update for windows 11 in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 7 - Alexa for PC can't access Microphone since latest update for windows 11 in...: all other apps can connect to microphone. I saw all the previous steps on how to fix the problem from other post as seen bellow, but nothing works. please help...
  3. Surface Pro 7 - Alexa for PC can't access Microphone since latest update for windows 11 in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 7 - Alexa for PC can't access Microphone since latest update for windows 11 in...: all other apps can connect to microphone. I saw all the previous steps on how to fix the problem from other post as seen bellow, but nothing works. please help...
  4. Surface thinks my microphone is headphones

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface thinks my microphone is headphones: Ok I recently got a clip on wired microphone and plugged it into my surface, but it didn't work. So I checked device manager, and it thinks it's headphones. What should I do? I don't think surface has Realtek Device Manager, but it has Realtek High Definition AudioSST...
  5. Surface Pro 4 - Microphone Array Not Working in Windows 10

Surface Pro 4 - Microphone Array Not Working in Windows 10: Surface Pro 4 - Microphone Array Not Working in Windows 10 How CORTANA AI can fix that? Skype - not. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-4-microphone-array-not-working-in/456857e2-a9ac-4050-84e7-27e3b00050d1
  6. Camera and microphone not working on Surface Laptop

Camera and microphone not working on Surface Laptop: The camera and microphone on my surface laptop have stopped working for all apps, including the "camera" app, zoom, Facebook messenger etc. Previously I had an issue with Facebook messenger where the solution was to disable the IR camera. I couldn't use Face ID but at least...
  7. Can I disable my microphone on my Surface Pro without it showing on Zoom?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I disable my microphone on my Surface Pro without it showing on Zoom?: I'm trying to be seen as "unmuted" on Zoom or Discord or any other communication app but with my built-in microphone actually muted. Is there a way for that? Essentially I want to appear as unmuted to others but able to make whatever noise I want without others knowing. I'm...
  8. Is a Neweer 700 microphone compatible with my Surface Pro?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is a Neweer 700 microphone compatible with my Surface Pro?: The website says, 'incompatible with tablet computers'. Does that include Surface Pro, I presume it does but I just want to be sure. Thanks! submitted by /u/Progress456 [link] [comments]...
  9. Microphone stopped working in Skype and in Cortana on my Surface Pro 5th Gen

in Cortana
    Microphone stopped working in Skype and in Cortana on my Surface Pro 5th Gen: The microphone works fine in Recordings Windows Store native app and in Zoom, but it doesn't work in Skype and Cortana. When I used it for the last time, in the end of June, it worked fine in Skype. When I opened Skype yesterday, it asked me to login and the microphone didn't...
  10. Surface pro microphone suddenly not working for zoom.

Surface pro microphone suddenly not working for zoom.: My surface pro microphone has suddenly stopped working when I am using zoom. The troubleshooter is not resolving the issue. What can i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-microphone-suddenly-not-working-for/a0bcdd4e-24a4-44b6-a0ac-f763360a7dfb