Windows 10: Surface not switching between Tablet or Desktop

Discus and support Surface not switching between Tablet or Desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have to manually change modes between Tablet and Desktop, even though the settings are to "switch and don't ask". Nothing happens when I plug in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AlanR1_36, Apr 15, 2020.

1. AlanR1_36 Win User

Surface not switching between Tablet or Desktop

Hi, I have to manually change modes between Tablet and Desktop, even though the settings are to "switch and don't ask". Nothing happens when I plug in the dock, other than the usual USB sounds for devices connecting. Is there some other setting I have missed?

:)

AlanR1_36, Apr 15, 2020

2. Auto switch tablet/desktop mode stopped working...

Does anyone know how to turn on the automatic desktop/tablet mode switching?

I run W10, the official release, on a Surface Pro 3 with a keyboard cover. Up to now, when I detach the keyboard I get asked if I want to switch to tablet mode, and when I attach the keyboard desktop mode has been automatically restored. I really like how W10 separates the two modes, instead off like W8/8.1 trying to be in both modes simultaneously.

But suddenly this does not happen. When the keyboard is detached, I do not get any question about enabling tablet mode and the Surface stays in desktop mode. If I manually switch to tablet mode, when I attach the keyboard the machine stays in tablet mode until manually disable it.

I have not changed any settings related to this, not deliberately at least.

I have looked at the tutorial on tablet mode in this forum, but it says nothing about automatic switching. I have checked the available settings but cannot see that there is any setting determining automatic mode switch, other than the "Always/never ask me before switching" (which is set to always).

OppfinnarJocke, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Switching back to desktop mode from tablet mode

Hi Bob,

Thank you for posting your queries in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to switch to come out of tablet mode.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

What happens when you try to go out of tablet mode? Do you see any error message?

Please try these steps and check if that helps.

• Click on notification from right bottom.
    • Select all setting.
    • Under all setting select System where you can change display setting.
    • Select Tablet mode which is the second option from the bottom.
    • You will find an option when I sign in, under which you find a dropdown.
    • Select take me to desktop and reboot your system.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Sudharshan M K, Apr 15, 2020
  4. KNair97 Win User

Switching to tablet mode in Surface Book

I want my Surface Book to switch to tablet mode whenever I take it off the keyboard and I have set it to do so automatically. However, sometimes it will be connected to the keyboard and randomly switch to the tablet mode. I haven't found anything specific
    that triggers this it seems to happen at random times. It is really just a nuisance but I would like to know if there is anything I can do to resolve this issue.

KNair97, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Surface not switching between Tablet or Desktop - Similar Threads - Surface switching between

2. Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working: After my Laptop sleeps, I cannot use any shortcut to switch between virtual desktops. Neither the Ctrl+Win+ArrowLeft/ArrowRight nor swiping left or right with four fingers on my trackpad. It goes back to working if I restart my device or occasionally after my machine...
  3. Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working: After my Laptop sleeps, I cannot use any shortcut to switch between virtual desktops. Neither the Ctrl+Win+ArrowLeft/ArrowRight nor swiping left or right with four fingers on my trackpad. It goes back to working if I restart my device or occasionally after my machine...
  4. Windows Multiple Desktops - Automatically Switching Between Desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Multiple Desktops - Automatically Switching Between Desktops: Hey All,Does anyone know how to stop Windows from automatically switching desktops? This happens when I have an application open on one desktop while I try to open a file for that same application on another desktop. For instance, having one excel spreadsheet open on "Desktop...
  5. Windows Multiple Desktops - Automatically Switching Between Desktops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Multiple Desktops - Automatically Switching Between Desktops: Hey All,Does anyone know how to stop Windows from automatically switching desktops? This happens when I have an application open on one desktop while I try to open a file for that same application on another desktop. For instance, having one excel spreadsheet open on "Desktop...
  6. Windows Multiple Desktops - Automatically Switching Between Desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. alternating between desktop and tablet view

in Windows 10 Customization
    alternating between desktop and tablet view: ive just purchased a new Dell laptop loaded with windows 10 home edition. i have been experimenting changing from desktop to tablet.. having switched back to desktop as a preference my laptop seems to be stuck in the tablet mode as my apps no longer are listed vertically on...
  8. Switch laptops between desktops?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Switch laptops between desktops?: With Windows 10 there is the possibility to switch between "desktops". So not different monitors, but virtual desktops to work structured. Now I have the problem that if I start an application in Desktop 1 (e.g. Discord) and then swap to Desktop 2 before Discord has fully...
  9. Quick switch between virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick switch between virtual desktops: There has to be a shortcut for quickly switching between desktops. I have used 3 rd party applications but they're just not stable enough. I can see why this has been a problem for the developers. Considering there can be any number of virtual desktops coming up with a...
  10. Windows 10: streamlines switching between desktop and tablet mode

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: streamlines switching between desktop and tablet mode: [img] One of the new additions to Windows 10 is how the OS handles tablets and desktops. In Windows 8, you were in either the modern environment or using the desktop, but with Windows 10, these two environments are blended together to create a seamless experience. In...