Windows 10: Surface Pro 2017 keeps hibernating while I'm using it

Discus and support Surface Pro 2017 keeps hibernating while I'm using it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Surface is set to go to sleep after 20 minutes and then hibernate after 60 when on battery (and never hibernate when plugged in). I typically don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NJMorf, May 31, 2021.

1. NJMorf Win User

Surface Pro 2017 keeps hibernating while I'm using it

My Surface is set to go to sleep after 20 minutes and then hibernate after 60 when on battery (and never hibernate when plugged in). I typically don't manually shut down when I'm done with it, I usually just close the cover and leave it to manage itself so that it wakes up more quickly when I next use it. This might not be for a couple of days, so I'm happy for it to save as much power as possible. For a few months now it's been hibernating within about a minute after I wake it up from hibernation, even while I am literally typing on it. The shutdown screen appears very briefly before the screen blacks out: if I'm lucky and paying very close attention, I can see the "hibernating" message, which is then replaced with the "locking" message. The hibernation message only appears for a fraction of a second, while the locking message sticks around for a few seconds, so while I assume both messages are showing up every time, I usually miss the first one. Once the Surface finishes hibernating I can power it back up again and it stays awake as along as I'm using it, rather than repeating the problem. I'm on 20H2 and as far as I'm aware fully patched. I've been offered the update to 21H1 but given that the problem has persisted through multiple smaller updates, I suspect that it's not going to be fixed by 21H1. I've tried changing the sleep settings away from and back to my preferences, but that hasn't fixed it. Does anyone know why it's doing this and how I can fix it without disabling sleep/hibernation entirely? Thanks in advance.

:)

NJMorf, May 31, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 - April 5th 2017

Source: Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 (05 April 2017) Surface

See also:

Brink, May 31, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 - April 5th 2017

Source: Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 (05 April 2017) Surface

See also:

Brink, May 31, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

New Surface Pro 4 Firmware Update - May 25, 2017

Source: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 update history | Surface firmware updates

See also: Updates for Surface Pro 4 (25 May 2017) Surface

Brink, May 31, 2021
Thema:

1. Surface Pro 2017 keeps hibernating while I'm using it - Similar Threads - Surface Pro 2017

2. hibernating while i'm working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hibernating while i'm working: same problem here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-critical-battery-trigger-causing-sleep-mode/521ef8b2-8ead-45e8-b1b9-1245043e020ethe method 2 works herebut... I don't see my battery status and charge anymoreif method 2 solved it, what actually is...
  3. hibernating while i'm working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hibernating while i'm working: same problem here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-critical-battery-trigger-causing-sleep-mode/521ef8b2-8ead-45e8-b1b9-1245043e020ethe method 2 works herebut... I don't see my battery status and charge anymoreif method 2 solved it, what actually is...
  4. hibernating while i'm working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Surface Pro 2017 Bluetooth

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 2017 Bluetooth: Hi, I recently connected my airpods to my 2017 Surface Pro via bluetooth but ever since a couple days after that my bluetooth has seemingly completely vanished. I have tried multiple solutions such as troubleshooting my driver in which I get back the error message, "device...
  6. "When I'm not using tablet mode" while Surface Pro is docked

in Windows 10 Customization
    "When I'm not using tablet mode" while Surface Pro is docked: With the 2004 update, it would seem that Windows sees the device Surface Pro 5 as not having a keyboard attached while docked. It uses the "When I'm not using tablet mode" settings in the Tablet Settings menu while docked. Thus, the icons and menus are more spread out. When I...
  7. Clock on Surface Pro 2017 jumping

Clock on Surface Pro 2017 jumping: Dear Sir, I just bought the Surface Pro 2017, during using it, I observed the clock is jumping (some before and some after the real day and time). I go to the Bios and see the time in the BIOS jumping a lot and the second did not count properly: some time jump 2hrs, some...
  8. onedrive not connecting to surface pro 2017

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    onedrive not connecting to surface pro 2017: Last week my files stopped syncing to onedrive through my surface. It persisted for a few days through some troubleshooting efforts, so I decided to disconnect my onedrive account from my surface and reconnect it. When I do this: I put my email in, followed by my password,...
  9. BSOD on Surface Pro 2017

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on Surface Pro 2017: Hello, I just bought a new Surface Pro 2017 and I'm getting several BSOD errors, with the text "ATTEMPT TO WRITE READ ONLY MEMORY" while using the computer. Here are my DMP files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tpfrwyw8r9hm4u9/AACFVaze_x2Zh36kboK-Zs9sa?dl=0 Kind regards,...
  10. Surface Pro ( 2017 ) Keeps changing brightness

Surface Pro ( 2017 ) Keeps changing brightness: Hello all, I have an issue with my surface where it keeps changing brightness without me changing any settings I have disabled adaptive brightness, that's why I'm not sure why this is still happening. Any help would be appreciated...