Windows 10: Surface Pro 3 Will not turn off--keeps rebooting

Discus and support Surface Pro 3 Will not turn off--keeps rebooting in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Surface 3 Pro. Bought it on Ebay, so I really don't know any background history with it. But it has a problem of restarting about 75 percent... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by beeson76, Nov 17, 2020.

1. beeson76 Win User

Surface Pro 3 Will not turn off--keeps rebooting

I have a Surface 3 Pro. Bought it on Ebay, so I really don't know any background history with it. But it has a problem of restarting about 75 percent of the time. I noticed the problem when the battery kept running down. Come to find out when I thought I was turning it off, it would reboot about 15 to 30 seconds after I left. Reboot time varies. Sometimes it can be a little bit longer than that. But the problem never presents itself when the Surface is Plugged in. It always turns off like it should. Other than this problem, the Surface 3 runs perfect. Battery has and holds a very good charge. But every once in a while, it will turn off like it should. Included is an Event Viewer screenshot of what is happening. I don't really understand all of this but hopefully one of you guys will be able toSurface Pro 3 Will not turn off--keeps rebooting :)Surface Pro 3 Will not turn off--keeps rebooting :) I will gladly answer any questions you may ask. Im trying to determine if it is a bad firmware update. Maybe a piece of bad hardware. But the problem with it being hardware, is that when I fully re-install the OS using the Surface Install media, it takes me back to a really really early version of windows. Something in the early 2016 or 2017 versions. I don't think the problem presents itself at this time. Its when installing updates and firmwares that I think the problem begins to present itself.

Hope this sheds a little light on the issueSurface Pro 3 Will not turn off--keeps rebooting :)Surface Pro 3 Will not turn off--keeps rebooting :)

I appreciate very much the helpSurface Pro 3 Will not turn off--keeps rebooting :)Surface Pro 3 Will not turn off--keeps rebooting :)

:)

beeson76, Nov 17, 2020
  2. Roger Win User

MS Surface Keyboard Cover not recognized by MS Surface Pro 3

My Surface Pro 3 cover mysteriously stopped working (other USB keyboards work).

I’ve exhausted all of the steps from the Internet and am hoping for some advice here on what to try next.

• Clean the metal pins on both the keyboard and the Surface Pro 3 with alcohol swap and q-tip.
    • Performed the standard two button shutdown procedure - Force a shutdown and restart your Surface
    • Update "HID keyboard" device in Device Manager.
    • Uninstall and reinstall "HID keyboard device" in Device Manager.
    • Removed HID keyboard device in Device Driver and manually installed Surface Type Cover device (which later automatically turns to "HID keyboard device" when you hit "update drivers")
    • Updated all Windows 10 patches to date.
    • Tried a brand new keyboard (Microsoft FMM-00001 Type Cover for Surface Pro https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W4MPJF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )
    • Updated firmware for Surface Pro 3 (typed in “winver”, took that Windows version, then downloaded the specific patch required here - Download Surface Pro 3 from Official Microsoft Download Center)
    • Reset Surface Pro 3 while keeping personal files
    • Reset Surface Pro 3 and deleted all personal files
    • Performed hardware tests on aka.ms/surfacerepair (nothing bad found; all looks ok)
    • Drained the battery most of the way before connecting again - the two times it worked momentarily these last few days was when I connected my new type cover keyboard to the Surface Pro 3 after the battery had died down to below 50%; a simple reboot later, everything stopped working. This user seems to have the same problem with it working briefly when there is low battery - Surface Pro 3 Battery drain along with type cover connector failure )

A breakdown of the steps I've done to sometimes get it working

• Leave Surface Pro 3 on about 2 hours on battery only.
    • Power on Surface Pro 3.
    • Working Keyboard.
    • Turn off Surface Pro 3 (or reboot)
    • Keyboard not working anymore
    • Another similar user here - Surface 3 type cover issue

Can anyone recommend any other troubleshooting steps? One of these steps seemed to work ok for others having this same problem.

Roger, Nov 17, 2020
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    Surface Pro 3

Hi ChrisWaters3,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below information:

1. Does the battery drain out, if the tablet is not connected to peripherals?

2. Which version of Windows you are using? (To check, type: winver in start menu and hit enter.)

I understand how something like this can try your patience. This issue is an indication of faulty drivers or incompatible driver.
    However, I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Check the drivers.

Step1: Battery driver

1. Press Windows andR
      key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    3. Click on view on top > Select Show hidden devices.
    4. Expand the Batteries option from the list.
    5. Select the ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery> right click on the driver and click on
      Properties.
    6. Click on Driver tab > check if you have the option to
      Roll Back Driver.
    7. If yes, Roll back the driver or uninstall it and restart the computer.
    Uninstalling the driver will be automatically installed after the system is restarted. Check if the issue is fixed.

Step 2: Keyboard driver.

1. In the Device manager, go to ‘Other devices’, you will find
      Unknown devices.
    2. Double tap on the unknown device > click on
      Driver tab> click on update driver.
    3. Select browse my computer for driver software> Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers
    4. Select keyboard, then click ‘Next.
    5. Select HID Keyboard device and click finish.

Method 2: Run the toolkit.

Note: If your Surface is managed by your work or school, check with your organization's IT department before running the tool.

I would suggest you to run the toolkit provided by Microsoft on
    Fix common Surface
    problems using the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit

If the above steps, doesn’t fix the issue. I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the article on
    Surface Pro 3 Battery
    FAQ for the Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware update

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Nov 17, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Surface Pro 3 won't turn on

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check, if it helps:

If you still have the device, please let the device charge at least 2 hours and do the 2-button shutdown one more time to see if you can turn on the device.

• A 2-button shutdown
      • Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds.
      • Press and hold the Volume-up button and the
        Power button on your Surface at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both. The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
      • After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
      • Press and release the power button on your Surface to turn it back on.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Surface Pro 3 Will not turn off--keeps rebooting - Similar Threads - Surface Pro turn

2. Surface pro 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface pro 3: Hellomy surface pro 3 SSD drive has stopped working completely cannot reset it or even get to the point of reformatting it i have resetting it using the recovery media from Microsoft even the manual ISO file tried reformatting the drive using different apps and i just want...
  3. Surface pro 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface pro 3: Hellomy surface pro 3 SSD drive has stopped working completely cannot reset it or even get to the point of reformatting it i have resetting it using the recovery media from Microsoft even the manual ISO file tried reformatting the drive using different apps and i just want...
  4. Surface Pro 4 keyboard turning on and off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 4 keyboard turning on and off: I have a surface pro four, and the keyboard it came with that I've been using since I got it suddenly started acting up, about an hour ago. It's been turning on and off, at seemingly random intervals, even though I've done what others have suggested for simmilar problems...
  5. How do I turn off fast boot on a Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I turn off fast boot on a Surface Pro 3: How do I turn off fast startup on a Surface Pro 3 I have gone to power settings, decide what the power button does, change settings that are currently unavailable, and the option for fast startup is not there. How do I turn it off?...
  6. Surface Pro 7 hibernates or keeps turning off randomly

in Windows 10 News
    Surface Pro 7 hibernates or keeps turning off randomly: [ATTACH]Microsoft’s Surface Pro 7 is a refinement over previous models but, even the new avatar of the touchscreen laptop continues to suffer from familiar hibernation […] This article Surface Pro 7 hibernates or keeps turning off randomly first appeared on...
  7. Surface Pro 3 Keyboard backlight can't be turned off

Surface Pro 3 Keyboard backlight can't be turned off: My surface keyboard backlight mysteriously turned on after it was off for the past few months b/c I turned it off. I pressed the f1 key with alt and control and they both didn't work. I then pressed the fn key and tried the f1 key again but the problem still persisted....
  8. Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 3: Hi The Surface Pro tablets are brilliant and I have most probably been responsible to recommending many of them to friends following buy a Surface Pro 3 when they were released. Since a firmware update in recent times I have no issues and since then my keyboard if left...
  9. Surface Pro 3

Surface Pro 3: Is there a app to turn my Surface Pro into a phone? Moved from: Surface / Surface Pro 3 / Install, update, and repair https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/surface-pro-3/3595d5eb-eefd-4427-81a5-68fc539fdff9
  10. surface pro 3

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    surface pro 3: lost admin rights on pc and surface pro3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/surface-pro-3/1fa4e483-afcb-4eec-9f85-15b3b50f064f