Windows 10: Surface Pro 3 won´t start after installing OS Build 19041.572 over night on October 13, 2020

Discus and support Surface Pro 3 won´t start after installing OS Build 19041.572 over night on October 13, 2020 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Surface is completely dead after installing the new update that was released on Oct 13th. I used it before I went to bed worked perfectly fine, set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by petanska, Oct 18, 2020.

1. petanska Win User

Surface Pro 3 won´t start after installing OS Build 19041.572 over night on October 13, 2020

My Surface is completely dead after installing the new update that was released on Oct 13th. I used it before I went to bed worked perfectly fine, set the time for update to 00:01 and left it charging over night. The next morning I unplugged it, pressed the power button, but nothing. Not even sounds from the fans and the screen stayed dark.
    I plugged it in and tried again. The surface didn´t do anything, the only thing I could recognize was that the lamp on the charging cable "flashed" went dark and back on pretty much at the second I would usually expect it to show the "Surface" logo on the screen. But the screen stayed dark nonetheless.
    I tried every possible combination of Power and Volume buttons most popular recommendations were power for 30 sec and vol up + power for 15 seconds among others but nothing helped. The screen stayed dark, no sounds of activated fans but a flashing charging cable.

I read about starting it without a battery, with the charging cable as the only power source but disassembly seems to be close to impossible.

I have no Windows Store in the city that I live in, is there a possibility to send it in and get it fixed?
    I am almost 100% certain that the update ruined my perfectly working Surface Pro 3.

I hope somebody can help me.

best regards,

Peter

:)

petanska, Oct 18, 2020
  2. Roohi_Taj Win User

Surface Pro 3

Hi ChrisWaters3,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below information:

1. Does the battery drain out, if the tablet is not connected to peripherals?

2. Which version of Windows you are using? (To check, type: winver in start menu and hit enter.)

I understand how something like this can try your patience. This issue is an indication of faulty drivers or incompatible driver.
    However, I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Check the drivers.

Step1: Battery driver

1. Press Windows andR
      key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    3. Click on view on top > Select Show hidden devices.
    4. Expand the Batteries option from the list.
    5. Select the ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery> right click on the driver and click on
      Properties.
    6. Click on Driver tab > check if you have the option to
      Roll Back Driver.
    7. If yes, Roll back the driver or uninstall it and restart the computer.
    Uninstalling the driver will be automatically installed after the system is restarted. Check if the issue is fixed.

Step 2: Keyboard driver.

1. In the Device manager, go to ‘Other devices’, you will find
      Unknown devices.
    2. Double tap on the unknown device > click on
      Driver tab> click on update driver.
    3. Select browse my computer for driver software> Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers
    4. Select keyboard, then click ‘Next.
    5. Select HID Keyboard device and click finish.

Method 2: Run the toolkit.

Note: If your Surface is managed by your work or school, check with your organization's IT department before running the tool.

I would suggest you to run the toolkit provided by Microsoft on
    Fix common Surface
    problems using the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit

If the above steps, doesn’t fix the issue. I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the article on
    Surface Pro 3 Battery
    FAQ for the Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware update

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Oct 18, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Updates for Surface Pro and Surface Book - Feb. 13

Source: Updates for Surface Pro and Surface Book (13 February 2018) Surface

See also:

Brink, Oct 18, 2020
  4. Mikedyce Win User

Surface Pro 3 won´t start after installing OS Build 19041.572 over night on October 13, 2020

Mikedyce, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Surface Pro 3 won´t start after installing OS Build 19041.572 over night on October 13, 2020 - Similar Threads - Surface Pro won´t

2. Team Viewer Version 13 won' t run on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Team Viewer Version 13 won' t run on Windows 10: Hi there,i really need to run the Team Viewer 13 not the newer Version on my Windows 10.Before someone writes that the V13 from Team Viewer is not compatible with Windows 10 this is what the Team Viewer Support insits on and they stopped the conversation, i have to say that 2...
  3. My Surface Pro 8 won;t boot. After an update, no C drive, shows an X drive instead and 3...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Surface Pro 8 won;t boot. After an update, no C drive, shows an X drive instead and 3...: My Surface Pro 8 won;t boot. After an update, no C drive, shows an X drive instead and 3 partitions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-surface-pro-8-wont-boot-after-an-update-no-c/18887960-e457-485b-9a48-f06107bdd972
  4. My Surface Pro 8 won;t boot. After an update, no C drive, shows an X drive instead and 3...

My Surface Pro 8 won;t boot. After an update, no C drive, shows an X drive instead and 3...: My Surface Pro 8 won;t boot. After an update, no C drive, shows an X drive instead and 3 partitions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-surface-pro-8-wont-boot-after-an-update-no-c/18887960-e457-485b-9a48-f06107bdd972
  5. Start menu and more won´t open

Start menu and more won´t open: When I click Star menu, clock, volume or other, the windows doesn't open.If I try open start, 4 errors occur in system log:- <EventData> <Data Name="param1">Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_10.0.22000.37_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy!App</Data> </EventData>-...
  6. Start menu and more won´t open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and more won´t open: When I click Star menu, clock, volume or other, the windows doesn't open.If I try open start, 4 errors occur in system log:- <EventData> <Data Name="param1">Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_10.0.22000.37_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy!App</Data> </EventData>-...
  7. Explorer.exe doesn't start after logon - Win10 pro Build 19041

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer.exe doesn't start after logon - Win10 pro Build 19041: Dear Sirs,Some days ago I got a malware.Fortunately I was able to eradicate it.The malware infected all the registry, the start folder, the system32 area, create a scheduled task to start an lsass.exe in a different folder than the system folder.After cleaning, the explorer...
  8. Crash after October 13, 2020 .NET security update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Crash after October 13, 2020 .NET security update: Our WPF application using SQLEXPRESS and .NET 3.5 has experienced continued problems since this update was pushed to our users. We've tried installing the latest .NET update released on October 20th, but the issue persists. Viewing the windows event logs it appears as though...
  9. Watch Apple Event on October 13, 2020

in Windows 10 News
    Watch Apple Event on October 13, 2020: Apple Event Join us from Apple Park. October 13, 2020, at 10 a.m. PDT. This event is where the company is expected to announce the iPhone 12 series phones. Source: Apple Events - Apple [img] 165860
  10. Surface Book 3 at Microsoft Build 2020

in Windows 10 News
    Surface Book 3 at Microsoft Build 2020: Microsoft Build 2020 is upon us and we are excited to have Surface play a part in several areas. For those that are not aware, Build is Microsoftâ&#128;&#153;s yearly developer conference and while it normally takes place in a convention center on the west coast of the USA,...