Windows 10: Surface Pro 3 won't start unless I force it to shut down

Discus and support Surface Pro 3 won't start unless I force it to shut down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I don't know if this is a Surface or a Windows issue but started happening after the most recent Windows update so I am assuming it is the latter.Every... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Cat's Whisker, May 16, 2021.

1. Surface Pro 3 won't start unless I force it to shut down

I don't know if this is a Surface or a Windows issue but started happening after the most recent Windows update so I am assuming it is the latter.Every night I switch my Surface pro 3 off using Start / Power / Shutdown and the computer appears to shut down normally.When I switch it on again in the morning it never moves past the spinning dots.However, if I press the power button for 20-30 seconds to force it to switch it off, it will then start properly when I press the power button again.Any idea why this is happening?

:)

Cat's Whisker, May 16, 2021
  2. Roger Win User

MS Surface Keyboard Cover not recognized by MS Surface Pro 3

My Surface Pro 3 cover mysteriously stopped working (other USB keyboards work).

I’ve exhausted all of the steps from the Internet and am hoping for some advice here on what to try next.

A breakdown of the steps I've done to sometimes get it working

• Leave Surface Pro 3 on about 2 hours on battery only.
    • Power on Surface Pro 3.
    • Working Keyboard.
    • Turn off Surface Pro 3 (or reboot)
    • Keyboard not working anymore
    • Another similar user here - Surface 3 type cover issue

Can anyone recommend any other troubleshooting steps? One of these steps seemed to work ok for others having this same problem.

Roger, May 16, 2021
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    Surface Pro 3

Hi ChrisWaters3,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below information:

1. Does the battery drain out, if the tablet is not connected to peripherals?

2. Which version of Windows you are using? (To check, type: winver in start menu and hit enter.)

I understand how something like this can try your patience. This issue is an indication of faulty drivers or incompatible driver.
    However, I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Check the drivers.

Step1: Battery driver

1. Press Windows andR
      key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    3. Click on view on top > Select Show hidden devices.
    4. Expand the Batteries option from the list.
    5. Select the ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery> right click on the driver and click on
      Properties.
    6. Click on Driver tab > check if you have the option to
      Roll Back Driver.
    7. If yes, Roll back the driver or uninstall it and restart the computer.
    Uninstalling the driver will be automatically installed after the system is restarted. Check if the issue is fixed.

Step 2: Keyboard driver.

1. In the Device manager, go to ‘Other devices’, you will find
      Unknown devices.
    2. Double tap on the unknown device > click on
      Driver tab> click on update driver.
    3. Select browse my computer for driver software> Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers
    4. Select keyboard, then click ‘Next.
    5. Select HID Keyboard device and click finish.

Method 2: Run the toolkit.

Note: If your Surface is managed by your work or school, check with your organization's IT department before running the tool.

I would suggest you to run the toolkit provided by Microsoft on
    Fix common Surface
    problems using the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit

If the above steps, doesn’t fix the issue. I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the article on
    Surface Pro 3 Battery
    FAQ for the Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware update

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, May 16, 2021
  4. Ztruker Win User

Surface Pro 3 won't start unless I force it to shut down

How do I wipe the drive on a Windows 10 Surface Pro 4 computer?

Found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...m-a-usb-device

Ztruker, May 16, 2021
Thema:

Surface Pro 3 won't start unless I force it to shut down

1. Surface Pro 3 won't start unless I force it to shut down - Similar Threads - Surface Pro won't

2. After shutting down computer it doesn't turn on unless I force shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After shutting down computer it doesn't turn on unless I force shutdown: I have been mounting a PC and I am having some problems I don't know how to fix:When I turn it off it works good, but when I try to turn it on it doesn't show anything and it doesn't turns on. I have to foce shut down pressing the power button and then the computer starts...
  3. After shutting down computer it doesn't turn on unless I force shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After shutting down computer it doesn't turn on unless I force shutdown: I have been mounting a PC and I am having some problems I don't know how to fix:When I turn it off it works good, but when I try to turn it on it doesn't show anything and it doesn't turns on. I have to foce shut down pressing the power button and then the computer starts...
  4. Surface Pro 7 randomly shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 7 randomly shutting down: So, i was watching youtube then my laptop just randomly shut down it said something lock, i didn't see it very clearly it was very fast, and after a few second it was completely shut. Then i click the power button nothing worked, then i holed the power button then it turned...
  5. Surface pro 7 randomly shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface pro 7 randomly shutting down: Hi - surface pro 7 has suddenly started shutting down randomly - whether plugged in or battery it stays on for 1-4 minutes then shuts down requiring me to restart. It isn’t sleeping and I’ve changed all the sleep settings but it doesn’t make any difference. Tried to run...
  6. Surface laptop 3 keeps freezing up and needing to force shut down

Surface laptop 3 keeps freezing up and needing to force shut down: My surface laptop 3 i5/8/256 has been having frequent freezes while I was doing my work. I would be typing up a document and it would just freeze and not work at all. I have had to force shut down the laptop and turn it on again for it to work. I need help as soon as possible...
  7. My Surface Pro 6 will not shut down

My Surface Pro 6 will not shut down: My Surface Pro 6, running Windows 10, is stuck on the sign out screen. Little circle just keeps swirling and swirling. I have tried holding down the power button. The screen flickers, but nothing else happens. I have removed the power cord, the external drive and the...
  8. surface 3 laptop not shutting down completely

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    surface 3 laptop not shutting down completely: My surface 3 laptop is not shutting down completely. when I shut it down, I get the blue shutdown screen, then the black blank screen, and I think it is shut down and I close the lid. but when I come back to my laptop minutes after, it would be boiling hot, with the lid...
  9. Surface won't actually start and I think it shut down during an update

Surface won't actually start and I think it shut down during an update: So Im pretty sure my laptop shut off while it was trying to update, and I haven't been able to get it to fully start up since. It will show the login welcome screen that's loading your desktop for hours. I don't know what to do....
  10. Surface Pro continually shutting down

Surface Pro continually shutting down: My surface Pro continually shuts down every two minutes or less regardless of sleep and shut down times selected for battery and plugged in operation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-continually-shutting-down/e37063eb-d33c-41a4-893f-202467a342a3