Windows 10: Surface pro 4 additional screen only connects via docking station. Minidisplay port on...

Discus and support Surface pro 4 additional screen only connects via docking station. Minidisplay port on... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; End of October my SP4 connected to external monitors via the minidisplay port on the SP. This was after 14/10/2019 update => 2019-10 Cumulative... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by davidnorton2003, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Surface pro 4 additional screen only connects via docking station. Minidisplay port on...

End of October my SP4 connected to external monitors via the minidisplay port on the SP.

This was after 14/10/2019 update => 2019-10 Cumulative updates for .NET Framework 3.3 and 4.8 for Windows 10 version 1903 for x64 (KB4524100)

on 07/11/2019 update =>2019-10 Cumulative updates for .NET Framework 3.3 and 4.8 for Windows 10 version 1903 for x64 (KB4522741) was installed and (unfortunately for me, over 10 days later I noticed that I could no longer connect a second screen via the minidisplay port.

When connecting a second screen via the minidisplay port, Windows-Settings-Display Settings detects the two screens, and even allows me to drag a window from the main screen up into the second screen attached, but the second screen attached to the minidisplay port either says "no signal" or is just black (depending on the monitor connected.

I have tried VGA and HDMI on various screens (and of course as soon as I flip the connection to the docking station all works OK. As a last resort, one of my monitors takes DVI and this did give a poor signal (poor colour with lines) when connected to the minidisplay port.

All secondary screens work if connected via the surface dock.

Having been on the phone to MS Support the conclusion is:

* Nothing wrong with minidisplay port hardware

* Issue lies with MS updates that have interfered with the display driver (same driver used for the docking station, but the docking station uses different firmware)

* MS advises, as I am over the 10 rollback time frame, to basically do a disaster recovery....re-install windows 10, which basically means reinstall everything on my SP or wait until a fix occurs which is why I am posting this in a vague hope some MS techi might pick this up and generate a fix. The first is not an option and I fail to see why I should have the hassle of rebuilding my SP down to an MS lack of testing

Anyone else have this issue and managed to resolve?

:)

davidnorton2003, Nov 18, 2019
  2. jwratsm Win User

Dock Station for Surface Pro 4 and 3

I just bought a dock station for surface pro 4 and surface pro 3. I was able to use it for a week. And then just this morning, the USB ports are not working. Whenever I insert my wireless mouse or external SSD card, they cannot be detected. I tried the
    headphone jack, it is working. Can you help me please.

I was even planning to buy a second one for my office. But this happened.

jwratsm, Nov 18, 2019
  3. Surface Pro 4 Docking issues

I have a Surface Pro 3 and a Surface Pro 4, two docking stations, two external monitors, keyboards and bluetooth mice.

Up until two weeks ago, everything worked great. (since December)

Then, (after an update) the Surface Pro 4 monitor does not go full screen. There is a wide black border and it has to be extended each time.

I put the Surface Pro 4 on the Pro 3 dock and same thing. (Yes, they are the identical dock, monitor and keyboard)

Surface Pro 3 works great on both docks so it is not the docks, monitors or cables.

This is getting frustrating.

JackRodenburg, Nov 18, 2019
  4. Surface pro 4 additional screen only connects via docking station. Minidisplay port on...

Surface Pro 4 Docking issues

Our company has several Surface pros in use from 2, 3 and a few 4's. We are using dual monitors with several of them. We are trying to get the best all-around connection to them but still loose monitors occasionally. Sometimes it’s an issue trying to
    reconnect them. We use some Docking Station's with the StarTech MSTMDP123DP with display port to DVI at the monitors for some users. We are also trying the Surface Dock. We are having an issue with the Surface Dock right now using the Mini Display to a DVI
    on a Samsung S24C200 Monitor or Mini Display to Display Port on the monitor side using the Samsung S24E450DL monitor. When plugged into the Dock the monitor will not show, just a black screen, but it is recognized on the surface. Sometimes it will show the
    image but not use the whole monitor even at recommended resolution. If I plug it in on the Display port on the surface itself it works perfect. Should we be using an active monitor cable with the Surface Dock. Please review this and help with a solution. What
    is the best performance monitors and cabling without an extreme cost? Thanks for your help.

Tuckermouse1, Nov 18, 2019
Thema:

Surface pro 4 additional screen only connects via docking station. Minidisplay port on...

1. Surface pro 4 additional screen only connects via docking station. Minidisplay port on... - Similar Threads - Surface pro additional

2. Screens via docking station is detected, but doesn't display anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screens via docking station is detected, but doesn't display anything: I got my new work pc HP ZBook Fury 16 G10 Mobile Workstation - with Windows 11 and docking station HP USB-C G5 last friday.I have two Dell Ultrawide 34" screens connected to the docking station via mini displayport to displayport. First time I plugged it in, it worked...
  3. Screens via docking station is detected, but doesn't display anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screens via docking station is detected, but doesn't display anything: I got my new work pc HP ZBook Fury 16 G10 Mobile Workstation - with Windows 11 and docking station HP USB-C G5 last friday.I have two Dell Ultrawide 34" screens connected to the docking station via mini displayport to displayport. First time I plugged it in, it worked...
  4. Docking Station

in Windows 10 Customization
    Docking Station: I have a Laptop that connects to a docking station via USB. I have 2 monitors and the laptop. When I disconnect the laptop from the docking station, all the open windows goes onto my laptop. When I connect my laptop back to the docking station. The windows stay on my laptop....
  5. Display port not connecting screen to Surface Laptop 4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display port not connecting screen to Surface Laptop 4: Hello,I have 2x surface laptop 4's - one is the 32GB ram model, the other is a 16GB model.Both connect to my LG wide curved screen via a USB C to HDMI cable.I heard the displayport cables work better, so I bought the microsoft display port to usb C connector.Both laptops do...
  6. Display port not connecting screen to Surface Laptop 4

Display port not connecting screen to Surface Laptop 4: Hello,I have 2x surface laptop 4's - one is the 32GB ram model, the other is a 16GB model.Both connect to my LG wide curved screen via a USB C to HDMI cable.I heard the displayport cables work better, so I bought the microsoft display port to usb C connector.Both laptops do...
  7. Second Monitor not detected via docking station.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second Monitor not detected via docking station.: Hello my friends,Today I have received a new docking station, but I am having some trouble connecting my second monitor to it main monitor is working. I am trying to connect:1x 4K 60Hz via DisplayLink WORKING1x FHD 60Hz via HDMI NOT DETECTEDI am using this Baseus docking...
  8. Second Monitor not detected via docking station.

Second Monitor not detected via docking station.: Hello my friends,Today I have received a new docking station, but I am having some trouble connecting my second monitor to it main monitor is working. I am trying to connect:1x 4K 60Hz via DisplayLink WORKING1x FHD 60Hz via HDMI NOT DETECTEDI am using this Baseus docking...
  9. Second Monitor not detected via docking station.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Surface Pro 3 Docking Station ports

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 3 Docking Station ports: Since one of the Windows 10 updates the Ethernet and Bluetooth on the docking station are no longer seen as devices and cannot be used. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-3-docking-station-ports/14e09b77-f6d2-4d4d-aeb3-0fe03d05c8a1